PDA

View Full Version : Under Bonnet Fuel Pump

PaulPJ
4th February 2011, 09:02
Hi Experts, broke down this morning and recovery company said I had a bad connection to the under bonnet pump. He sprayed it with WD40 and bingo car running again. Could it just be damp or am I getting warnings that this pump is nearing the end of it's life? It's done 136K during it's life time.

FLYER
4th February 2011, 09:26
if It,s worn out it should be stop starting and be noisy in operation , thems a lot of miles and It,s very possible It,s goosed .
You can test its effectiveness by attaching a length of tubing to the outlet at the top and putting the other end into a large container , the flow on ignition only should be powerful , the pump will cut out after a minute that's normal.

FLYER
4th February 2011, 09:32
btw if the pump needs a dunt to get it to run change it.

Mike Noc
4th February 2011, 11:47
Hi Experts, broke down this morning and recovery company said I had a bad connection to the under bonnet pump. He sprayed it with WD40 and bingo car running again. Could it just be damp or am I getting warnings that this pump is nearing the end of it's life? It's done 136K during it's life time.

If he sprayed the plug connections then it could have just been a bad contact in the plug and you could be fine. As has been said if you need to tap it to start it or its noisy , or of course if the flow rate has dropped then time to change.

They can last as long as 200k but its not really mileage that matters more the amount of time the pump is running, so the high mileage ones have probably spent most of their time on the motorway at speed.

Mike

PaulPJ
4th February 2011, 11:57
Thanks Guys. The car does spend most of its life driving up and down the M3 to the tune of 500 miles a week getting to and from the office.