PDA

View Full Version : Benzine or LPG?

KazzebaZ
4th February 2011, 09:34
Oil prices will be rising sky high in a few months. I live in the Netherlands. Perhaps it's economically better to put a LPG tank in my Rover Tourer.
Economically with 10,000 KM each year in the second year I can make a profit of about 500 Euro and after three or more years I can make a saving profit of 3000 Euro each year. But what are the technical concequenses? Has it effect on the way the Rover drives after more than five years? I would like to own this car as an oltimer in the future... Do you have more info?

Fluffle-Valve
4th February 2011, 10:28
I've got LPG on mine and it drives great. Only had it on since the middle of last year and I'm glad I got it converted. I also managed to get a tank that was small enough to hide in the spare wheel well and fit the spare as well.

wutang
4th February 2011, 12:39
I have been running on LPG for 4 years and have coverd 100,000 miles since the conversion, It has saved me a fortune, you will get lower Mile per Gallon and about the same power from the engine. My tank is a 67 litre tank (allows a 54litre fill) in the spare wheel well. Driving like a grandpa I can get 300 miles out of that 54litres, foot down 240 or so.

I would reccomend LPG to any V6 owner.

Richard

Zeb
4th February 2011, 12:42
I have had LPG on the 190 for 30,000 miles now...very pleased with it but just be sure you can get LPG easily enough in your area!

Fluffle-Valve
4th February 2011, 13:10
I have been running on LPG for 4 years and have coverd 100,000 miles since the conversion, It has saved me a fortune, you will get lower Mile per Gallon and about the same power from the engine. My tank is a 67 litre tank (allows a 54litre fill) in the spare wheel well. Driving like a grandpa I can get 300 miles out of that 54litres, foot down 240 or so.

I would reccomend LPG to any V6 owner.

Richard
I use mine as a taxi around town and a bit of country lanes and I can get 52 litres plus sometimes in my tank and that'll take me around 210 miles. This figure is a lot higher when doing an airport run. Mine is a 2 litre manual though.

wutang
4th February 2011, 15:44
Wierdly, mine seems to be getting more economical as it gets older, don't know if this is my driving style changing or the car.

On the motorway I would not be suprised if the 2.5 auto was the best as once the torque converter is locked up I belive it is the lowest reving of all the petrols.

Richard

g-mac
4th February 2011, 16:17
how much does it cost to convert to lpg?

kevin
4th February 2011, 17:11
how much does it cost to convert to lpg?

dont go on cost alone, make sure they know what there are doing,

I fould out that the hard way.:mad:

LPG is great when fitted by the right person.

Dave***t
4th February 2011, 17:37
Ouch, much have been a right kick in the teeth for it all to go wrong.

Any idea of a ballpark cost for fitting by someone who does know what they're doing?

Last place I saw was 'from' £1190 + VAT, but that probably means it'll actually be loads more.

kevin
4th February 2011, 17:45
Ouch, much have been a right kick in the teeth for it all to go wrong.

Any idea of a ballpark cost for fitting by someone who does know what they're doing?

Last place I saw was 'from' £1190 + VAT, but that probably means it'll actually be loads more.

1.8 £1200, v6 £1600.

I got it badly fitted for £900 on a v6,
but a great member on here but it all right for me
.(he is no longer fitting them.)

Zeb
4th February 2011, 17:52
.(he is no longer fitting them.)

Yeah but he said that he was gonna stop when he fitted mine two years ago...;)

kevin
4th February 2011, 18:07

said it today when I left him my ford, to wire in the front end.:D

Fluffle-Valve
4th February 2011, 18:32
Mine was £1800 at this place in Coventry www.lpg-cars.co.uk (http://www.lpg-cars.co.uk)
I also had a quote for £2000 at this place in Milton Keynes www.gas4cars.com (http://www.gas4cars.com)
Don't get the cheap polish kits, go for an Italian kit.

jonwend
4th February 2011, 21:25
My first car (mk 1 ZT now owned by another member on this forum) was converted in 2006 I think at a cost of about £2200. It was then sold a year later to me so whoever converted it obviously didn't reap the rewards. However, I did.

It saved me a lot of cash as I didn't pay for the conversion but the main benefit was that I never found myself frantically hunting down a petrol station! When I was low on petrol I had gas and when the gas ran out I had petrol. Now when the fuel warning light comes on I have to remember to fill up( :getmecoat: )and that is an expensive pastime these days as I bought another 190.

neal.blackmoor
5th February 2011, 01:08
my car is a w reg v6....from my documents it has had lpg from the first 5000 miles of its life...its now in 110000 miles... and still going strong its an 80l tank in the boot.....but the boot is still big enough i get about 400 to 420 miles on a full tank.....its now 86p around here now.... recommend lpg to anyone

Fluffle-Valve
5th February 2011, 07:44
my car is a w reg v6....from my documents it has had lpg from the first 5000 miles of its life...its now in 110000 miles... and still going strong its an 80l tank in the boot.....but the boot is still big enough i get about 400 to 420 miles on a full tank.....its now 86p around here now.... recommend lpg to anyone
I can still get LPG at 73.9, but most are now 75p and above with a couple at 80p.

kevin
5th February 2011, 08:36
I can still get LPG at 73.9, but most are now 75p and above with a couple at 80p.

unless you go to sainsburys at J22 on M25 its only 64.9.
good thing its not far from me.:D

rizel23
5th February 2011, 08:49
I bought jonwend's LPG 190 off him, and can confirm the LPG System installed is top notch. Its a 'Prins VSI Multipoint System With Stako Doughnut Tank 77 Liters' you can fill upto 60 litres and with my town and country road driving i get about 250-260 miles from a full tank.

I use Country Wide Farmers to fill up as live in the Midlands, and there current rate is 64p per litre. To compare last October when i bought the car the price was 54p, so prices do seem to go up, but then again so does petrol.

Theres a good calculator here;

http://www.ozonlpg.com/lpg_calculator.html

saves me £1k a year compared to petrol.

Bernard LPG
5th February 2011, 14:45

said it today when I left him my ford, to wire in the front end.:D

You won't provoke me into a reply.....OH.....(insert James May rude word)!

I get bored easily but overheads have killed it all now ........ unless something turns up. ;)

Back on topic.
Engine wear is reduced because LPG produces very little of the corrosive gases that eat engines. You can see this by the colour of the engine oil.

I don't know yet how the KV6 engine will last as I don't do the mileage like I used to, but I've had a couple of Rover 827s on LPG in the past. The one that I had longest had 250k miles on the clock when I sold it, nearly all on LPG, it never needed any attention to the engine except normal oil changes.
Running on LPG saved me the purchase price of the car several times over.

Barney_Eagle
5th February 2011, 19:58
Hi all. New here.

I've just bought an 03 75 tourer with LPG fitted but not working. I got a great deal on the price, now I need someone recommended to fix what is Landi system. The guy selling me the car tried an outfit on the south coast nr Littlehampton, but they couldn't diagnose the issue and seemed a right bunch of cowboys.

Can anyone recommend someone within sensible distance of London (up to 150 miles I suppose).

Cheers

Fluffle-Valve
6th February 2011, 06:17
Hi all. New here.

I've just bought an 03 75 tourer with LPG fitted but not working. I got a great deal on the price, now I need someone recommended to fix what is Landi system. The guy selling me the car tried an outfit on the south coast nr Littlehampton, but they couldn't diagnose the issue and seemed a right bunch of cowboys.

Can anyone recommend someone within sensible distance of London (up to 150 miles I suppose).

Cheers
See here...
www.lpg-cars.co.uk (http://www.lpg-cars.co.uk)
www.gas4cars.com (http://www.gas4cars.com/)

kevin
6th February 2011, 07:02
Hi all. New here.

Cheers

In what way is it not working.
not turning over to gas?
running then changing back to petrol?
is the light in the car coming on,

as they may be a member on here that with the right info,
will not be able to help himself and reply.:D

Fluffle-Valve
12th June 2015, 06:34
Barney_Eagle, did you ever get your LPG fixed?