PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat on 2004 1800 n/a ZT

doogie2001uk
4th February 2011, 10:06
Hi all,

I have been through the search's and still not come up with a conclusive answer to my query so wondering if someone can help.

Had an overheating problem a couple of mornings ago, no leaking coolant and im still getting hot air through the blowers, also checked the oil filler cap and no mayo. Decided to call the AA to have a look and they have diagnosed that it needs a new Thermostat (he did try for an air block fix - as read on here!).

My question is - how do I know if its a PRT or not?

Below the rad is an off white "thing" (technical I know!). Is this the PRT? And do I need to replace this in its entirety?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dudley

tsautos
4th February 2011, 11:21
Yes that's the prt, that replaces the original stat, it's just in a different location and cost ten times as much.

doogie2001uk
4th February 2011, 11:42
Thanks for the confirmation! And yes it does cost ten times as much! Least it looks like a simple fix though.

Cheers

T-Cut
4th February 2011, 13:05
The PRT was introduced to the 1.8s in 2003-2004. This is what it looks like:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Cooling_System_Stuff/VacuumRefill_4.jpg

They rarely go wrong so it'll be interesting to hear if a new one fixes the overheating.

The easy way to tell if a PRT is present is to check the plastic hose connector running just behind the top of the radiator. If it's a T-piece, then the pipe going vertically downward is connected to a PRT. If the connector is a simple pipe union, it doesn't have a PRT.

The NA engine PRT is part number PEM100990

Rimmer: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001582

TC

doogie2001uk
4th February 2011, 13:25
Fingers crossed it cures it! Ill let you know if it doesnt!

Gman2
4th February 2011, 20:34
I had the reverse before Christmas on the ZTT - failure to get to temp so following advice on here ordered a PRT from Rimmers. Once fitted problem sorted :)

doogie2001uk
7th February 2011, 20:31
It worked! Replacement PRT and ALOT of bleeding later and I'm back up and running! :)

How difficult is it to get all of the air out of the system? Jeez!

Thanks for the help again guys!