PDA

View Full Version : Diesel ancillary belt tensioner U/S

KHC
4th February 2011, 11:36
My 05 reg 2.0 diesel has a dead alternator and a dodgy tensioner pully.

The belt tensioner pulley nut just rotates (24mm spanner access is 'easy') so I cannot use the spanner to rotate against tension to remove the belt; I've had to cut the belt off to continue with the job (I've a new one). Can the tensioner pulley be replaced with the engine in-situ? Or has anyone any other ideas of how I can over come this?

Thanks

Karl

Update @ 15:50: Alternator is now off including its bracket to aid access. Tensioner (PQS101710) has been unscrewed but cannot be removed as the filter housing is in the way and pulley shaft cannot be withdrawn from the engine as a chassis is in the way. Can the pulley be removed from the pulley assembly arm (PQR000080A)? I do not fancy having to lift/drop the engine 6" or so to clear the chassis rail.

New arm assembly on its way from Rimmer Bros so should be here in the morning.

paulf
4th February 2011, 21:58
I had a problem with mine, if I remember correctly to slacken the tensioner you rotate in the direction that the mounting stud is tightened but if turned in the opposite direction then the tensioner stud unscrews from the base plate.I managed to re secure it by turning in the opposing direction.If removed then it would be a good idea to use some locktite on the threads when reassembling.
Paul
My 05 reg 2.0 diesel has a dead alternator and a dodgy tensioner pully.

The belt tensioner pulley nut just rotates (24mm spanner access is 'easy') so I cannot use the spanner to rotate against tension to remove the belt; I've had to cut the belt off to continue with the job (I've a new one). Can the tensioner pulley be replaced with the engine in-situ? Or has anyone any other ideas of how I can over come this?

Thanks

Karl

Update @ 15:50: Alternator is now off including its bracket to aid access. Tensioner (PQS101710) has been unscrewed but cannot be removed as the filter housing is in the way and pulley shaft cannot be withdrawn from the engine as a chassis is in the way. Can the pulley be removed from the pulley assembly arm (PQR000080A)? I do not fancy having to lift/drop the engine 6" or so to clear the chassis rail.

New arm assembly on its way from Rimmer Bros so should be here in the morning.

KHC
4th February 2011, 22:17
Paul

thanks, I'll give it a go in the morning I think I've got some 221 loctite somewhere.

Karl

KHC
5th February 2011, 13:51
back to square 1. The pulley nut still started to rotate after just one attempt to fit the belt.

tsautos
5th February 2011, 15:42
You can get a spanner down the back and tighten it.

KHC
5th February 2011, 16:13
There was next to no room to get to the rear screw (15mm AF - odd choice by BMW) esp as the compressor and alternator were back on, the 24mm nut was also worse for wear. I doubt if I could tighten it adequately as the factory torque setting would be far higher than I could get it to.

We have just spent 2 hours messing and with the aid of my better half (some bits of wood and a destroyed pack of Pringles) the belt is back on :D.

I routed the belt and rotated the crank anticlockwise starting the belt on the top of the crank pulley, the pringles pack was chopped to shroud the catellations on the crank pulley as the belt snagged in them. Using a ratchet rotating the crank thus pulling the adjuster (wheel brace stopping the belt coming off the alternator pulley) and after 3 attempts and as the light faded this afternoon the s** went on. The belt did get some surface marking but not cut so nothing to worry about, no worse than when I did my previous V6 a few years ago.

Not a skinned knuckle or broken nail between us, but not something I'd like to go through too often. Off to the Pub to celebrate tonight as I'm putting the car back together tomorrow - probably in the rain but with a smile on my face....:}

kevin
6th February 2011, 07:20
There was next to no room to get to the rear screw (15mm AF - odd choice by BMW) esp as the compressor and alternator were back on, the 24mm nut was also worse for wear. I doubt if I could tighten it adequately as the factory torque setting would be far higher than I could get it to.

We have just spent 2 hours messing and with the aid of my better half (some bits of wood and a destroyed pack of Pringles) the belt is back on :D.

I routed the belt and rotated the crank anticlockwise starting the belt on the top of the crank pulley, the pringles pack was chopped to shroud the catellations on the crank pulley as the belt snagged in them. Using a ratchet rotating the crank thus pulling the adjuster (wheel brace stopping the belt coming off the alternator pulley) and after 3 attempts and as the light faded this afternoon the s** went on. The belt did get some surface marking but not cut so nothing to worry about, no worse than when I did my previous V6 a few years ago.

Not a skinned knuckle or broken nail between us, but not something I'd like to go through too often. Off to the Pub to celebrate tonight as I'm putting the car back together tomorrow - probably in the rain but with a smile on my face....:}

good to here all ok now. enjoy your drink.
and now other will know how to repair it to.