PDA

View Full Version : Removing a tyre - any tips ?

chris75
4th February 2011, 11:48
This is for the wife's 416 , not my 75 . An alloy wheel is losing air pressure at about 20 psi per week , and I have been told it is due to corrosion on the inside rim.
I can get it refurbed for £47.50 in Chester , but with time on my hands I know I could cure it if I could get the tyre off ! It has resisted my preliminary attempts so far , so before I either mess it up or take it for refurb I wondered if anyone had a handy hint ? Or am I wasting my time ? I have a wide arsenal of tools and bits of flat iron bar but no actual large tyre levers !
I used to be able to do it easily back in the Morris Minor days.............:(

EnEnGee
4th February 2011, 12:16
I would think any tyre depot would remove it for you for a nominal sum. Worth asking one I would have thought. It would save a lot of puffing and panting and grazed fingers :)

T-Cut
4th February 2011, 13:14
I wouldn't have it refurbished because of the leak. Just ask the tyre depot to give it the standard treatment. They'll wire wool it and paint the bead with silicone or a similar sealant gloop. It's the abuse the rims get when tyre fitting that breaks the paint layer so it's likely to happen whatever.

TC

chris75
4th February 2011, 16:39
Thanks fellas .
I've already had the sealant applied , but it didn't last long :(
Was advised I needed a more extensive treatment to abrade corrosion and repaint, but it is something I feel I could do :shrug:
I guess I just hate paying garages.

chrissyboy
4th February 2011, 22:03
are you sure the wheel has not got a tiny crack in it .. one of my hairpins was like that flat as a pancake in 2 days ,, took it to a tyre shop to see if they could repair it and they found a crack when they put the wheel in a tank of water that had all the bubbles coming from it ... i hit a pot hole
1 hour after fitting the hairpins:mad: ceedy kindly sold me a replacement wheel

matt1301
4th February 2011, 22:10
I would try a local garage its a mission to do, especially without damaging anything. The bead is sealed so tight in the rim. Basically a huge lever and alot of strength and grease. (no inuendos please ;))
Getting it back on isn't easy either ;)

kaiser
5th February 2011, 03:23
You are almost sure to damage the rim further by removing it yourself.
Get the guys at the tyre station to do it.
They most likely won't charge you.

Life is too short for that type of fun!

MangoMan
5th February 2011, 06:30
Personally.......... I would try to get a new/SH Wheel.

Mintee
5th February 2011, 07:23
I know I could cure it if I could get the tyre off ! It has resisted my preliminary attempts so far
Have you pushed the bead in to the well? You won't get it off if you don't. Try driving over the tyre (missing the rim) with the valve core removed. You need to do this both sides before you lever the tyre off and back on isn't usually that difficult if you have long levers.

Getting the bead seated back on will require some home compressor though.

HarryM1BYT
5th February 2011, 08:38
Out of sheer curiosity, with a similar problem - I tried to do this and failed quite miserably. I spent an afternoon struggling with it :D

Reseating the tyre back to the rim without a large compressor, can be done (I understand) with lighter gas. You just squirt some gas into the unseated tyre, then carefully put a match to it. The resulting rapid explosion inside the tyre blow the tyre out onto the rim to seal.

Lovel
5th February 2011, 08:56
Reseating the tyre back to the rim without a large compressor, can be done (I understand) with lighter gas. You just squirt some gas into the unseated tyre, then carefully put a match to it. The resulting rapid explosion inside the tyre blow the tyre out onto the rim to seal.

Oh dear I can hear the wailing siren of the HSE safety police approaching.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_GeQR8fJo

chris75
5th February 2011, 11:08

That does sound like fun ! :drool4:
However, I have seen the tyre reseated by tying a length of rope around the circumference and tightening this to seat the beads against the rim , then inflating with a compressor . Having no joy removing the tyre so it looks like a quick trip to Kwik fit on a Sunday morning ........

HarryM1BYT
5th February 2011, 11:54
That does sound like fun ! :drool4:
However, I have seen the tyre reseated by tying a length of rope around the circumference and tightening this to seat the beads against the rim , then inflating with a compressor . Having no joy removing the tyre so it looks like a quick trip to Kwik fit on a Sunday morning ........

Is the best answer :}

aug081451
5th February 2011, 16:50
hi chriss, why dont you just put a INNERTUBE IN IT ? or the garage WILL peter

Typhoon190
5th February 2011, 17:32
Sorry, but personally don't think it's safe to put an inner tube into a tubeless tyre. No reputable fitters will do it I'm sure.

Best to take it to a tyre fitters. I'm sure they will do it for nothing, at most a drink. ;)

graham2230
5th February 2011, 18:01
then carefully put a match to it

As opposed to carelessly putting a match to it lol

Yes it does work but, if you are going to try it make sure you have a responsible adult with a bucket of water and a mobile phone just in case.

The length of rope trick does work but isn't nearly as much fun as playing with lighter gas and matches.

Graham

COLVERT
5th February 2011, 18:34
I always take my own tyres off. Have just done two on my car (R75) and two on my wifes Citroen C4. :cool::cool::cool:
The thing is though, I have a large impact hammer specially made for removing tyres. The manuel type that garages used to use before they had all this modern equipment. Still works well though.
It's like a slide hammer used for removing a bearing but works in reverse.
Without this it is almost impossible to get the tyre out of indent it sits in.
Have tried running over the tyre as suggested in a previous post but it is still almost impossible like that. :(
Kwik- fit, Lol. You know it makes sense. ( Cheap too !! ) :}

Colvert. :D

Synchromesh
5th February 2011, 19:21
Alloy wheels tend to leak when a tyre fitter has hammered on a balance weight when they should have used a stick on weight. My 400 has leaked at a weight. I pushed the tyre into the rim but didn't remove it altogether. I can't help you with this bit because I have a home made lever like the one tyre fitters use. Then I placed it on my bench so the corroded part of the rim was to the bottom and hanging over the edge of the bench. When you rub the corroded part of the rim with emery paper the oxide from the rim and abrasive from the paper will fall to the floor and not inside the tyre. Take off as little as possible to achieve a smooth surface then apply a couple of coats of paint and allow to dry. Someone has already suggested the tourniquet method to re-inflate.