PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge in place of the clock?

Jakg
4th February 2011, 17:05
I never use the analogue clock, so been thinking of replacing it with a boost gauge instead.

Couple of questions...

I assume that I need to run a tube from the EGR bypass, to the back of the gauge

How could I mount it in place of the clock?

What size is the aperture?

What "range" of boost do I need?

Do they need calibrating?

Hodgy
6th February 2011, 13:23
The diameter I believe you are looking for is 62mm tight. Thats the size of the clock that passes through the hole in the dash.
Hope this helps?

Jakg
11th February 2011, 13:10
Been doing some measuring:

The OEM clock is 45mm in diameter, and ~25mm deep.

The ring that surrounds it is 62mm in diameter, and hollow inside.

Behind the clock is a dash support - but i'm not entirely sure of the clearance.

The "normal" 52mm boost gauges are ~60mm deep.

Not entirely sure it'll fit, and I dont really want to break out the araldite to find out it doesnt! Any ideas?

suffolk boy
11th February 2011, 14:37
hi if i remember correctly i company i have dealt with does these the gauge and a mounting pod they are good they are vechile wiring products ltd they have a web site with all the products on it

Andy K
12th February 2011, 15:42
turbo diesel is it ?

COLVERT
12th February 2011, 17:59
I never use the analogue clock, so been thinking of replacing it with a boost gauge instead.

Couple of questions...

I assume that I need to run a tube from the EGR bypass, to the back of the gauge

How could I mount it in place of the clock?

What size is the aperture?

What "range" of boost do I need?

Do they need calibrating?
Ask yourself, do you really need it cos the turbo boost will do what it likes whether you are looking at it or not. :shrug::shrug::shrug:
If you do want to spend time gazing at it you are more than likely to hit something and not need it any more. :mad::mad::mad:

In this day and age with so many cars on the road it's a bit of a risk just looking at your speedo.
You can even buy 'head up' displays that show your speed on the windscreen so that you are looking where you should be most of the time !!! Lol.

Colvert.

( By the way , what time is it ?? ) Ooops. :D:D:D

Jakg
17th June 2011, 14:55
And finally got round to doing this:

http://i.imgur.com/th46O.jpg

Starman
17th June 2011, 18:53
Neat idea Jack. Better than those awful pods you see on you tube lit up like Crimbo trees in the dark, sitting proud like a trophy.

Regards. Steve.

john_k70
18th June 2011, 07:56
looks the part mate, good idea.;) as for keeping your eyes on the road etc (???) if all our cars were the same, as they left the factory, it would be pretty boring. Altering the aesthetics of a car to your personal taste doesn't stop with fitting a club grill badge.
As i said, think it looks great and a really good idea.

COLVERT
1st September 2011, 17:01
And finally got round to doing this:

http://i.imgur.com/th46O.jpg

Must admit it looks good. :bowdown::bowdown:

Oh !! By the way; " What time is it" ?? ;););)

Parker
1st September 2011, 17:20
Neat! I always though the 75 should have an oil pressure gauge like the old P6.

mrsimon
30th July 2012, 19:57
I like this one as it is blue back-lit like the rest of the clocks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S4-52mm-Turbo-Boost-gauge-psi-blue-bk-light-Skyline-GTST-GTT-GTR-Pulsar-Gtir-/180934233998?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a20854f8e

They all say universal 52mm fit. So, I assume this would fit in a mk2 MG ZT?

Thanks