PDA

View Full Version : Remote Thermostat For CDTi -Any Good?

yadiffmate
4th February 2011, 17:56
Hello to everyone.

I am a new member and really joined to ask about changing the thermostat on my Rover 75 CDTi (2003). All reports suggest this is a real pig of a job. The most daunting aspect is that the original only lasted a few years, so I might be faced with the same task again.

However, I have just found a 'Remote Thermostat' on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MGZT-CDTI-diesel-remote-thermostat-/370476153133?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564219792d

Providing the original thermostat is stuck open, you just slice open the top hose and install the remote stat in line. It is nearly £70, but the original fit one is fairly pricey and seems to involve removing the water pump as well (new gaskets?).

Does anyone have experience of these remote thermostats for the Rover 75 CDTi?

Number 6
4th February 2011, 18:15
Hello to everyone.

I am a new member and really joined to ask about changing the thermostat on my Rover 75 CDTi (2003). All reports suggest this is a real pig of a job. The most daunting aspect is that the original only lasted a few years, so I might be faced with the same task again.

However, I have just found a 'Remote Thermostat' on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MGZT-CDTI-diesel-remote-thermostat-/370476153133?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564219792d

Providing the original thermostat is stuck open, you just slice open the top hose and install the remote stat in line. It is nearly £70, but the original fit one is fairly pricey and seems to involve removing the water pump as well (new gaskets?).

Do search on the forum for "The definative thermostat answer" there is an alternative and lots to read

T-Cut
4th February 2011, 18:25
However, I have just found a 'Remote Thermostat' on Ebay. - - - - - - - - -

That eBay advert is the direct consequence of the discussions on the topic on this very forum. The discussion centres on the addition of such an in-line stat to the diesel.

If you can't find the thread from a search, click this: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68468&highlight=%22thermostat+definative%22

TC

Number 6
4th February 2011, 19:53
That eBay advert is the direct consequence of the discussions on the topic on this very forum. The discussion centres on the addition of such an in-line stat to the diesel.

If you can't find the thread from a search, click this: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68468&highlight=%22thermostat+definative%22

TC

Thanks TC didnt know how to put the link up:shrug:

Mintee
4th February 2011, 19:58
The way the £/$ is going at the moment will mean the Meizere housing will be cheaper than that soon.

I'd guess you should wait 'till is @$1.63 to the £ though (and presuming Meziere charge you the same as they did wuzerk and I).

RovingDennis
4th February 2011, 20:09
What I don't understand about this stat is in/out dia's quote " inlet stub dia 1.5 inches outlet stub dia 1.25 inches" If you are goint to cut the hose should they not be the same size each end.:confused:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/78774ce011017a88f.jpg

David Lawrence
5th February 2011, 04:01
What I don't understand about this stat is in/out dia's quote " inlet stub dia 1.5 inches outlet stub dia 1.25 inches" If you are goint to cut the hose should they not be the same size each end.:confused:

No, you cut a small section out, not just cut it in half. the hose has a taper. see this post for the detail from Wuzerk, it is spot on.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=605334&postcount=116

wuzerk
5th February 2011, 12:00
YADIFFMATE: Have been using the mod for nearly four months now with no problems.

yadiffmate
20th February 2011, 16:26
Just wanted to say thank you to all those who responded to my question about the CDTi remote 'stat housing. :}

I fitted it today and the most difficult part of the job was getting the three bolts undone on the front air intake, on the bonnet slam panel. I managed to get some molegrips between the metal and the plastic, to hold the rubber bushes round the nuts and eventually they came off.

I took a 60mm section out of the top hose with a Stanley knife and this allowed the thermostat housing to sit comfortably without kinking the hose.

I haven't taken the car for a test run yet, but with the engine idling, the new thermostat seems to be working correctly. I have had the car from new and when functioning correctly, the temperature guage always settled about 1 mm below the 9 o' clock position. As other people have remarked, the OBD shows that the 'normal' position covers a fairly wide temperature range. 'Normal' starts about 79 degrees and the needle is in exactly the same position at 89 degrees!

Only time will tell if the temp will remain stable in the summer months, but I cannot see any technical reason why there would be a problem as the cooling system seems to be over efficient to start with.

Am I right in thinking that this BMW engine was originally designed for a rear wheel drive car and installed North to South, rather than transversely? Would this explain why the thermostat is so difficult to access when the engine was adapted for the front wheel drive Rover 75?

steve 135+
20th February 2011, 16:38
Just wanted to say thank you to all those who responded to my question about the CDTi remote 'stat housing. :}

I fitted it today and the most difficult part of the job was getting the three bolts undone on the front air intake, on the bonnet slam panel. I managed to get some molegrips between the metal and the plastic, to hold the rubber bushes round the nuts and eventually they came off.

I took a 60mm section out of the top hose with a Stanley knife and this allowed the thermostat housing to sit comfortably without kinking the hose.

I haven't taken the car for a test run yet, but with the engine idling, the new thermostat seems to be working correctly. I have had the car from new and when functioning correctly, the temperature guage always settled about 1 mm below the 9 o' clock position. As other people have remarked, the OBD shows that the 'normal' position covers a fairly wide temperature range. 'Normal' starts about 79 degrees and the needle is in exactly the same position at 89 degrees!

Only time will tell if the temp will remain stable in the summer months, but I cannot see any technical reason why there would be a problem as the cooling system seems to be over efficient to start with.

Am I right in thinking that this BMW engine was originally designed for a rear wheel drive car and installed North to South, rather than transversely? Would this explain why the thermostat is so difficult to access when the engine was adapted for the front wheel drive Rover 75?
Hi Yes the thermostat on the 320 BMW is at the front and easy to replace, i have done a thermostat change on my ZT and it is a cow of a job to do, but in saying that it is doable.

I am going to wait before i make any kind of decisions on the in line thermostat, lets see what summer weather brings to hear, Steve