PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a re-gas??

Bluejack
5th February 2011, 11:33
Hello and thanks for reading this,i hope you can help.

My 75 cdt aircon has, for as long as i have had it,always sounded like its still running when the engine is switched off,you can still hear it. (owned for 12 months,without any history)

Its only ever run on short journys, 6 mile round trip for work,and cant remember ever driving more than 80 miles at a time.

Now all of a sudden,while i was sat in a traffic queue the heater started making a strange sort of grinding niose,then blowing cold air out,even when on the hottest setting.The engine temp is fine,never above half.

This happened a few days ago,and it seams to get warm within a few minutes,then bows cold since the noise appeared.

There are no signs of dampness in the footwell,as it was sugested by a colleague, it could be the matrix thats gone.

Are these the signs that the aircon needs a re-gas?
Ifso,can anybody recommend somewhere near me in North Sheffield (S35 area)
And how much should i pay to get this done???

Thanks again,im hoping to get this sorted soon,as i start work very early in a morning,and frost/ice are a main worry.

wuzerk
5th February 2011, 11:46
To avoid confusion, with the ignition switch on the second position, the Diesels fan should start running whenever you turn the air con ON via the AUTO button even if the engine is not running. It should turn off if you press the ECON button. Perhaps that is why you think it is 'still running'?
The cheapest regas is done by KwikFit I think who do not charge if the increase in efficiency of the air con is not increased sufficiently after they re-gas it. Sounds like a no brainer to me since, if a regas is not needed on your car you will not pay?

Bluejack
5th February 2011, 12:04
Tahnks for the reply my friend.
When i turn the air con off,then switch the ignition off,it still sounds like its on for a minute or so.
I will try Quickfit,and hope it solves the problem of cold air blowing.
Cheers,Craig.

wuzerk
5th February 2011, 13:15
If the fan runs with the ignition off then either the engine is overheating,vary rare on a diesel, or you could have a problem in the relay box for the fan. If you do not use the air con during a run and the fan does not run when you turn the engine off then it would point to a fault in the fan control box,i.e. it only happens when you have been using the aircon. Note: The fan is ALWAYS live (via the 80Amp strap in the engine bay fuse box)That's all I can think of.

Mike Noc
5th February 2011, 13:22
Hello and thanks for reading this,i hope you can help.

My 75 cdt aircon has, for as long as i have had it,always sounded like its still running when the engine is switched off,you can still hear it. (owned for 12 months,without any history)

Its only ever run on short journys, 6 mile round trip for work,and cant remember ever driving more than 80 miles at a time.

Now all of a sudden,while i was sat in a traffic queue the heater started making a strange sort of grinding niose,then blowing cold air out,even when on the hottest setting.The engine temp is fine,never above half.

This happened a few days ago,and it seams to get warm within a few minutes,then bows cold since the noise appeared.

There are no signs of dampness in the footwell,as it was sugested by a colleague, it could be the matrix thats gone.

Ifso,can anybody recommend somewhere near me in North Sheffield (S35 area)
And how much should i pay to get this done???

Thanks again,im hoping to get this sorted soon,as i start work very early in a morning,and frost/ice are a main worry.

Have you checked your coolant level?

Mike

FrenchMike
5th February 2011, 13:23
Hi,

To know the real engine temperature ,better use the OBD diagnostics (7.0)

You must read 88 Degrees C +/- 5°

Mike

SD1too
5th February 2011, 20:15
Now all of a sudden,while I was sitting in a traffic queue the heater started making a strange sort of grinding noise, then blowing cold air out,even when on the hottest setting.
If your air con. was low on refrigerant you wouldn't get cold air at all.

When I turn the air con off, then switch the ignition off, it still sounds like it's on for a minute or so.
Craig,

Can you explain exactly what you're hearing when you turn off the air conditioning? Is it gurgling/hissing?

Simon.

T-Cut
6th February 2011, 00:41
What year is it and what's the mileage? From what you've said, I think you may have a faulty low speed fan and the high speed emergency system is trying to keep the aircon system cool. An overheated aircon will trip high speed, which will run until the trinary high pressure valve trips out. That may take a while after stopping the engine if the aircon has got hot. A simple check will tell you if the slow speed has failed. With the cold engine running (to allow the compressor to run), press the Demist button and listen through the radiator. Do you hear the slow speed fan running continuously? If not, it's fan failure.

TC