PDA

View Full Version : Number Plate lights

grossebaby
5th February 2011, 11:58
Morning All,

Bulb light on last night and after much head scratching found it is the number plate lights. But the ulbs are ok and the connections are good.

Now I know they can be a weak point and have searched a little but this is a newer car so thought I might be ok, boot has been slammed a lot in the cold weather to make it shut though.

Any easy pointers or shall I just call the autoelectrician.

HarryM1BYT
5th February 2011, 13:03
I would suggest what you need is to make up a 12v test lamp - just a 12v low-ish wattage bulb in an holder, with a pair of wires attached. Test meters in this situation sometimes don't work as well, because they don't draw enough current to apply enough load.

Attach one wire to a known good ground then (with the lights on) test and trace back to a point on the wiring of the number plate light, until you get the test lamp to light up. Between there and the previous test point, is where your fault or poor connection lies.

pab
5th February 2011, 13:05
these copper circuits break down,see if you can find the break and repair it with a soldering iron.i have successfully repaired a few.

T-Cut
5th February 2011, 14:51
This is the usual culprit (though not in my case):

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Lamps_Lights_Stuff/NumberPlate_Lamp/Cleaned_Up.jpg

A How To will follow shortly.

TC