PDA

View Full Version : Battery light question

paicey
5th February 2011, 15:00
Not sure if this should go in tech help or here, I'm sure some kind soul will inform me and move if needs be.
I started my car this morning and it started perfectly as always (guess I'm just lucky) but the battery light stayed on? After a few miles the light started to flicker and went out. During the time it was on the car performed fine, no dimming of the lights all was fine, after it went out it was still fine, turned everything on and nothing? What's up with that? Any ideas? ( oh and please don't tell me the alternator is failing as I'm a grown man and don't want to cry infront of the wife and kids lol)

Greeners
5th February 2011, 15:02
It'll either be battery or alternator, if the battery is 3 years or older, probably that, if you've had an oil change done recently, then it'll be the alternator.

Simple check with a volt meter should prove which...

pab
5th February 2011, 15:04
thread moved to the technical help form,redirection left

paicey
5th February 2011, 15:28
Thanks greeners, pabs. I will try a voltage check, the battery is only about 13 months old. Ho hum

Greeners
5th February 2011, 15:51
Thanks greeners, pabs. I will try a voltage check, the battery is only about 13 months old. Ho hum

You may be lucky and it's the battery and still under warranty

FrenchMike
5th February 2011, 16:02
Hi,

Use the OBD diagnostics on 9.0

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55585&highlight=board+diagnostics

You must read :

12 volts at rest and about 14 volts with engine on .

Mike

paicey
8th February 2011, 12:41
did a voltage check, perfect. even with all lights on and fan, everything but light comes on? my inspection flap is missing on that side under the wheel arch, could some water have gotten somewhere it shouldnt? :shrug:

ex-ctr
8th February 2011, 14:43
mines been doing the same thing, light on then flicker and off, checked voltage and i was getting 12v running when the light was off and 11.3v when it came on, car would only cover 5 miles befor abs and airbag light came on, just got home and there was a burning smell from the alternator, so its time for a new one, lucky i have loads of tools:D

paicey
8th February 2011, 17:26
I think mine was a tad over 12v engine off and about 14v with everything on including engine. No burning smell, starts perfectly. Most odd, good luck with the change, what engine is yours by the way?

ex-ctr
8th February 2011, 17:59
I think mine was a tad over 12v engine off and about 14v with everything on including engine. No burning smell, starts perfectly. Most odd, good luck with the change, what engine is yours by the way?

diesel, im following a how to on this forum which allows replacement without stripping the front end off

paicey
8th February 2011, 18:56
Any chance of a link to that? Ta. May need it myself loL

ex-ctr
8th February 2011, 19:19
Any chance of a link to that? Ta. May need it myself loL

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=44411

winni1970
10th February 2011, 22:37
hi justed put a fully recon engine in my zt last weekend started first time no problems then after half an hour battery light came on then the lights in the car went dime so i changed the alternator and its still on but lights in the car ok and out side are to what nexted dont no what to do any help thanks:confused: