PDA

View Full Version : Camping

GaryC
5th February 2011, 17:53
I've read quite a few threads now on camping and or caravans..
I think a Camping Forum section would be a great addition to the club website..
How many of us would like a camping section? I would..

G

Gate Keeper
5th February 2011, 19:31
Hi Gary, I will hold my hand up and support you for a section on 'camping and caravan talk'. I am not into caravans but love camping and am fortunate to be able to camp out in the bush in different parts of Africa. A nightmare to some. An adventure to others. :} How relevant it is to the forum I do not know. Although having said that, there is a photography section which is popular. If you don't ask, you don't get!

Robson Rover Repair
5th February 2011, 20:00
Prehaps a simple decicated thread in the social forum for camping and such would be good keeping everyones posts and info together.

Gate Keeper
5th February 2011, 21:47
It would be a useful way to see if there is a following or not. Last summer, I needed to buy a new tent for the tropics which was bug and snake proof, and could tolerate heat and wet as well as being ventilated. I joined a tent forum, researched the UK, USA and did not buy one until I found one is South Africa which ticked all of the boxes. The UK tent forum members were very helpful, just as people are here. I guess what I am saying is that if a camping section or thread does not take off, it is not the end of the world, as there are UK camping forums with experts to be found and if it does take off then it could be a bonus for interested parties.

Dragrad
5th February 2011, 23:27
Just to let you know, we (the Team) have been looking at this very subject for some days now, so the position is under discussion. Hopefully we will have an answer for you soon, before the holiday season kicks off :D:D

Gate Keeper
5th February 2011, 23:46
Thanks Andrew and the team for taking this into consideration and for letting us know. The caravan, camping and all matters related to it attracts many issues and questions. Will certainly watch this for any future developments.

All the best
Phil

Gate Keeper
6th February 2011, 10:46
One gadget I have been looking out for but have not found on the UK market is a solar powered portable A/C unit for the tent. A few years ago, we were asked to visit a research lab on Lake Magadi - a notoriously hot dry salt lake in Kenya. One of the scientists there, had made his own solar powered mini A/C unit for his tent, as the heat in the day can go up to as high as 50 - 54C and I thought what a brilliant idea. I have a mini-water cooler fan but it is not the same as what he had and not man enough for the job. My brother has a caravan with A/C and heating on a timer, but it is all built in and is a different concept.

Tractor Boy
6th February 2011, 11:06
sounds like a good idea ;)

patrolman pete
6th February 2011, 16:25
I think that's a great idea! Every year we pack our tent into the back of our tourer and head off to the south of France or Spain. The car is just perfect for this lifestyle. Last year i wired in a 12 volt socket into the rear area to run our coolbox so the beers are nicely chilled on arrival:D

bigrob73
6th February 2011, 16:28
Another vote here for a camping section.......

Gate Keeper
6th February 2011, 20:05
Hi Big Rob

Do tell me about your tent. Is it a McKenzie 4 person cabin tent?

ianfletcher
6th February 2011, 20:29
If you want a camping forum then try this one

http://www.thecampingforum.co.uk/forum/

I am a member on there and there is alot of useful info and are a friendly bunch too

bigrob73
7th February 2011, 17:27
Hi Big Rob

Do tell me about your tent. Is it a McKenzie 4 person cabin tent?

Its actually the Cabin 6 and I have to say we are very impressed! A lot of thought has gone into the design of it and last year when all around us was blowing apart, we sat rock solid with not the slightest tear....
:D

peelaaa
7th February 2011, 19:24
Good idea, went camping twice last year.
This is a picture of a tent like mine.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/userimages/550.jpg

Gate Keeper
7th February 2011, 20:17
Thanks Ian for the link. I joined the camping club this evening. Cheers :}

Hi Big Rob

Tell me Rob, how long does it take to put the Cabin 6 up? I did look at it on-line and saw it had good reviews. Personal experience can't be beaten. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Phil

Gate Keeper
7th February 2011, 20:21
Wow! Ian, that is a huge tent and way out of my league :D
Very impressive though :}

Robson Rover Repair
7th February 2011, 20:23
Its actually the Cabin 6 and I have to say we are very impressed! A lot of thought has gone into the design of it and last year when all around us was blowing apart, we sat rock solid with not the slightest tear....
:D

Big rob, thats a nice sig pic. Are those OEM roof bars?

peelaaa
7th February 2011, 20:30
Wow! Ian, that is a huge tent and way out of my league :D
Very impressive though :}

It is a Wild Country halo 73 but sadly is not made anymore, its very sturdy and sleeps 6 in comfort and 10 max..
I bought it for half price and it was an absolute bargain compared to others I could have bought for same price.

The only downside is that is it is very heavy and takes a while to put up but it is worth it.

8511swann
7th February 2011, 20:52
Always have some cracking bargains here:
http://www.cybercheckout.co.uk/outlet-tents/
Have never bought a tent, but have bought other camping gear from them.

Gate Keeper
7th February 2011, 21:00
The Halo looks high spec and versatile. You had a good deal getting it for half price. I do a have a photo of the tents we use out in the massai mara but it has an Isuzu Trooper in it looking rather muddy, so was not sure about posting the pics up and am still to learn how to post such things :(

bigrob73
7th February 2011, 21:05
Big rob, thats a nice sig pic. Are those OEM roof bars?

Yes, got them off ebay at the 3rd attempt. I kept losing out to stupid bids....... I use them with a Thule Ranger 90 Roof Bag. A saloon is just too small for all the camping gear but its only a few times a year that I need the extra space. The joy of the bag is that you can unpack it, roll it up and stick it in the boot!

bigrob73
7th February 2011, 21:23
Thanks
Tell me Rob, how long does it take to put the Cabin 6 up? I did look at it on-line and saw it had good reviews. Personal experience can't be beaten. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Phil

I takes 45 minute alone and 30 minutes with 2 of us if we push it but thats not what camping is about for us. The big bonus is metal poles (if you dont mind the extra weight) as they make the whole thing much more stable/strong. Peg the base out, slide four poles in and raise one at a time, and peg the base of each pole. Within 15 minutes, the tent is up and you can get inside and organising (eg kettle on, biscuits out...). The rest of the time is spent setting out the many many many guy ropes etc..... Inner tents are all left in position so no time wasted there either.
I am more than happy to let you know anything you want about it. I spent weeks searching for the most suitable tent (fussy wife who had never camped before) and we are delighted with our choice.
It was by no means a cheap choice but after 7 tents blew down on August Bank Holiday in the same field as us, we feel it was money well spent!

Gate Keeper
7th February 2011, 22:02
Money well spent Rob when everyone elses tent has been grounded and your in yours dry and warm. When we go camping, we have one tent where we keep food and supplies. The food is kept in metal trunk cases. The theory behind that is that if there are predators around like Baboons or Lions, that they will go for the food tent and not us. So far it has worked. The other tent is for our sleeping and dining.

However, last Feb, we had bought a cheap 4-cabin local tent and it was big mistake. It turned out to be a nasty buy. That first night, it went up no problem but the poles were fibreglass and weak. During the night it rained non-stop and there were high winds and lightening across the plains. It was a struggle to keep the tent down and too dangerous to go outside at night. The next day, the floor of the tent was flooded but in the heat of the day it dried out in no time.

Those Cabin 6's are expensive but well worth it, if one can afford it with nice touches like the auto-roll up blinds..... AAAWWWWWESSSOME!

I am limited by luggage allowance, so for the time being, the Big 6 is also out of my league:(

xStevex
7th February 2011, 22:23
Great idea. I plan on doing plenty of camping this year with my 75. Perhaps I'll also get back into caravanning too...great way to get out into the sticks!

Robson Rover Repair
7th February 2011, 23:25
The idea of a camping meet sounds quite good actually!

Imagine a bunch of us all sitting around a campsite talking cars and nonsence, if we can avoid bringing the misses it could even be a party. :bowdown:

peelaaa
8th February 2011, 11:11
I spent a couple of nights at castle archdale in fermanagh last year, that's a decent campsite.

bigrob73
8th February 2011, 19:12
if there are predators around like Baboons or Lions....................

The closest we have ever got to those whilst camping are over-confident pidgeons and the odd angry squirrel!! :bowdown:

We once had a run in with a campsite's cat..... is that similar???

Gate Keeper
9th February 2011, 09:35
Looks good to me Rob.

Fancy a camping safari out in the bush? :}

Here is a slide show of one of my last camps not far from Mount Kilimanjaro with several wild life shots. I hope the link works.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rover75andV6

note the 20 year old land rover discovery imported from the UK and still going strong.

gefary
9th February 2011, 12:16
I love camping and have a brilliant tent

I believe it's called a awning.

Now that's real camping:D

AldoR
9th February 2011, 19:58
Camping is the best thing for us through the summer me and the family travel down to Billing Aquadrome in Northampton for a long weekend away this will be our 9th year going there cant wait to july:D

Livermpj
9th February 2011, 20:16
I've read quite a few threads now on camping and or caravans..
I think a Camping Forum section would be a great addition to the club website..
How many of us would like a camping section? I would..

G

Yep, me too :wot:
The 75's a great tow car, mine's towed it's entire life and every holiday trip is sooo relaxing* :driving:

* Except when stuck in a jam for 2 hours....

AldoR
9th February 2011, 20:25
See the Brits are ment to love the great out doors however TOP GEAR presenter jeremy clarkson doesnt seem to like caravans, tourers, cars with trailers going away for the weekend away as he claims they slow the motorways down. I say so what. Whats your views?.

Livermpj
9th February 2011, 20:30
I say don't take Jeremy too seriously!

Dragrad
13th February 2011, 20:51
Thread moved to correct forum. Re-direct left in old.;):D

Roverowner
14th February 2011, 07:14
All things camping are great. Allways liked the great outdoors since my Army days. All those fantasic innovations that have come from camping.
Modern things are good but I like the best of the old stuff. Quite a few jaws have dropped when turning up at a site with these:D

Seen lots of tents on roofs of Land Rovers but no design was as good as this one;)