PDA

View Full Version : Oil over fill!

kim
6th February 2011, 08:42
I have over filled my 2.0 V6 Rover 75:bowdown:Please what should I do now? She runs fine but smokes in the morning when I start her. Oh and the back passenger doors will not open properly.
Thank you kindly for replies. What is correct amount of oil please?

biggles2000
6th February 2011, 09:07
Correct way: Proper oil change, and refill with the right amount. Can be done easily by extracting through dipstick.

Back doors sound like they need some spray grease/lube. Be careful, I have heard they can snap.

chrissyboy
6th February 2011, 09:37
you will need to do asap as too much oil will have the same effect as too little oil...,ifnot sorted wil result in damage to engine ,cat ,and exhaust. as said i would drain the oil and replace it to the max mark and also change the oil filter ...

rizel23
6th February 2011, 09:40
overfilled by how much?

T-Cut
6th February 2011, 13:10
Get a Pela pump. Handy for this and several other service jobs.

TC

Hodgy
6th February 2011, 13:54
Was it filled up after a oil change or just a top up to high?
First I would make sure the car is level before checking the dip stick, if still too high. You could use a pela pump or if you don’t have one, drain some of the oil off using the drain plug at the base of the engine. Make sure the engine as cooled, so you don’t scald yourself on the oil. Drain enough off, 1ltr should be enough. Replace oil drain plug and check oil level, if low. Refill using clean engine oil, checking the level as you go. If still to high (you have been naughty lol) repeat the process of draining some more oil off

man of kent
6th February 2011, 18:51
Over fill and the oil will be airated i.e. the bearings will have oil & air. Definitely not good! The dipstick marks are there for a very good reason.

Car been messed around? Different engine been fitted? Make sure it has the correct dipstick.