PDA

View Full Version : Need help from anyone who has removed their centre console and beneath

phenonix
6th February 2011, 09:06
I had someone trying to find a fault with the airbag ECU last week, this involves removing the centre console and other parts, turned out to be the pre-tensioners.
Having a look today behind the centre console i saw some wires trapped between some sponge and plastic under the ashtray assembly, viewable only when the ashtray is totally removed.
Would anyone know that the sponge is connected to?

i.e. is it an air passageway?because of the sponge?

i'm thinking it was removed to get to the airbag ECU then put back incorrectly.
Need to know if the wires trapped are in danger of being damaged and will i need remove and release those wires
should have taked a picture but got side tracked
tried tugging the wires so they are well trapped in, i'm thinking what ever trapping them is screwed in its so tight

dissy1810
6th February 2011, 09:40
It just sounds like the wires for the rear blind And heated seats they are wrapped in foam And tucked behind the ashtray when they are not used

phenonix
6th February 2011, 12:05
It just sounds like the wires for the rear blind And heated seats they are wrapped in foam And tucked behind the ashtray when they are not used

Thanks for that,
i felt my description would be too vague
no this is further down than that, on ground level, well car floor level, the ashtray would sit on top of it
and knowing the foam your talking about wrapping the switch's, this is more like foam, similar for the dash vents when they are removed

trikey
6th February 2011, 18:12
It will be the connectors for the blind / heated seats / cruise etc, they are wrapped in large chunks of foam.

phenonix
6th February 2011, 19:33
sorry again
but those connectors are in use already :), so not wrapped in foam anymore

Devilish
7th February 2011, 02:26
You really need to get in there with a flash and take a few pics and crop them, they need to be identified as trapped. Remove the switch panel and climate control panel to get some good pics.

Why was someone trying to find a fault with the airbag ECU?

What were the symptoms that led to it. Was it a warning lightt, and someone went straight for the ECU?

Was the pre tensioner fault fixed, and what exactly was done, and are you certain what was done was actually done?.

phenonix
7th February 2011, 06:57
You really need to get in there with a flash and take a few pics and crop them, they need to be identified as trapped. Remove the switch panel and climate control panel to get some good pics.

Why was someone trying to find a fault with the airbag ECU?

What were the symptoms that led to it. Was it a warning lightt, and someone went straight for the ECU?

Was the pre tensioner fault fixed, and what exactly was done, and are you certain what was done was actually done?.

Long story Devilish..
Had airbag fault, wire mod under both seats did nothing so sent it to the garage as my rego renewal was coming up and i could not find the fault.

T4 was showing passenger pretensioner fault and drivers airbag fault, they checked the driver airbag, checked my mod and it was not that, then went to the ECU, turned out to be a broken wire under the drivers carpet

They also found that the circuitry in the passenger seat pretensioner had failed, luckily i had 2 spare as it is costly to get pyrotechnics sent for the UK.

They mentioned about using a diode to fix one of the faults

They did have the centre console out as they fixed up a soldering job for me also for my push button start, which i checked/saw yesterday.

While putting everything back they called me to see how the Chinese Ddin reverse camera had to be re-wired, later telling me the wire was too short, it was not short when i left the car in, it is this that is trapped which i only saw yesterday, there is also another bunch of wires trapped the same way, these are the one i'm wondering about as i'm having problems with my ATC..see here...http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=77429
maybe not connected though

so after taking out the radio, AC and ashtray what is the next thing to be removed in sequence to get to the Airbag ECU?

justmicky
7th February 2011, 13:42
You have to remove 6 bolts in all that hold the centre fascia, two up forward which you can access having removed the radio/ATC and ashtray assembly, one bolt on both sides of the fascia in way of the passenger and driver seats, (these are a bit awkward to access), and two bolts down at the rear which you access by removing the rear ash tray.
You must also remove the gearstick knob and the hand brake gaitor assembly.
Theres one or two electrical connections to disconnect if I remember rightly i.e. connections to hazard warning switch/door lock
It might be advisable to remove your rear view mirror too, or at least try and twist it out of harms way, or just be very very careful when manoeuvring the fascia out that you dont catch the mirror!

Devilish
8th February 2011, 07:59
Do not think I can help further without seeing the wires but my experience is to only go for the ACU when all else has failed.

Was the problem actually an ECU problem in the end.

I had one bought to me with an airbag fault, did the plug mod on both seats = warning light still on. Swapped both seats with mine (quickest way to eliminate anything in the seats) = warning light still on. No problem with the underseat loom, so thought I would try the the steering wheel airbag. Someone had removed the wheel for something, plugged the airbag in, and did not push the plastic retaining clip back in. Pushed it in and hey presto.