PDA

View Full Version : Rust

Mike Noc
6th February 2011, 09:41
CDT now into its eleventh year and is rust free apart from above the offside leading bonnet edge, where it is starting to bubble through above the headlights. Anyone else had this?

I say rust free but I did hammerite the rear subframe as I think it originally came with the same paint they used to put on the old Mini subframes.:)

Mike

123abc0173
6th February 2011, 10:40
I have seen this on some older 75s so I occasionally squirt WD40 into the joins between the bonnet and the bonnet frame on my 75. Fingers crossed this will keep it from rotting. I have also seen the door window frames rotting on one early 75 so again mine gets the WD40 treatment and the drain holes at the bottom of the doors cleaned out.

lamuff
6th February 2011, 14:30
im planning on waxoiling mine when the dry-er weather gets here , will power wash it of underside etc first leave it a week or so to dry out then go for it

allegroman
6th February 2011, 15:15
im planning on waxoiling mine when the dry-er weather gets here , will power wash it of underside etc first leave it a week or so to dry out then go for it

I see you're in Plymouth, where to you take the car for work? My regular garage has let me down badly so I think it's time to go somewhere new...

lamuff
6th February 2011, 15:29
only had the car a rew weeks, but i intend on doing as much as i can myself, i have only used a garage about 3 times in 20 years of driving...saying that this is my 1st deisel so the learning curve starts again i supose:shrug:

lamuff
6th February 2011, 15:32
where were you using ?

wuzerk
6th February 2011, 15:59
LAMUFF, I am a great believer in Waxoyl, having used it on my classic rebuilds etc. Pay particular attention to the brake pipes where they pass along the underfloor beneath the drivers side. Seems to be about the only common failure point for corrosion on the 75s.

lamuff
6th February 2011, 16:06
will do ! thanks for the tip

David Lawrence
6th February 2011, 17:37
CDT now into its eleventh year and is rust free apart from above the offside leading bonnet edge, where it is starting to bubble through above the headlights. Anyone else had this?

Mike

Yes, in the exact same place.

James.uk
6th February 2011, 20:49
I found WD40 dried out and actually encouraged rust, silicone spray, oil, or thin grease does a better job... :}

allegroman
6th February 2011, 22:01
where were you using ?
I'd rather not say in public, in case he's just having a bad patch and the quality of work improves...

123abc0173
6th February 2011, 22:34
I found WD40 dried out and actually encouraged rust, silicone spray, oil, or thin grease does a better job... :}

I'd be surprised as WD40 leaves an oily residue which has kept the rust at bay on several cars I have had for some considerable time. The best anti ruist treatment seems to be diesel as that makes an oily mess which has resisted rust for 40 odd years on old tractors I have had but WD 40 has been a good second. :)

The Rover Man
6th February 2011, 22:37
I am a great believer in WD40 for freeing seized parts, but it's no good for rust protection. I restore classic cars and am sorry to say that 'bubbling' (unless there's an obvious stone chip that has spread under the paint) is coming from behind the panel and means that it has rusted through. I drill or cut out all the weak metal and either spot weld or patch the affected area, but I'm working with panels that are rare and worth repairing.

If it's a stone chip that's spread quite a bit, then it's easy to sand or grind the metal back to fresh steel. The filling and painting afterwards is the costly bit, if you're not doing it yourself. If it's only a very small area, then touch up pens will be fine. If it's rusted through, It would definitely be cheaper for you to source a replacement panel that's the same colour. At £40 a bonnet, the 75/ZT is not yet at the stage where welded repairs are worth doing!

Mike Noc
6th February 2011, 23:09
You have it in one - the panel has rusted through from behind and is now bubbling the paintwork.

Just wondered if this was a common problem or not. Might repair it but to be honest probably less hassle to get a second hand bonnet if I can find a red one.

Mike

The Rover Man
6th February 2011, 23:25
You have it in one - the panel has rusted through from behind and is now bubbling the paintwork.

Just wondered if this was a common problem or not. Might repair it but to be honest probably less hassle to get a second hand bonnet if I can find a red one.

Mike

If it's copperleaf, go for the replacement - they seem to be more common than most colours, in my experience.

I have read many comments about similar problems, but have only seen it on other Rovers (P5, 6 , SD1, 800, 600, etc, but not on a 75 yet). They will rot if looked after badly (behind front mudflaps and rear wheelarches sometimes), but I know that some members have had similar problems as you. I'm sure they will give their experiences soon.

Mike Noc
7th February 2011, 07:32
Thanks. That is good news as it is copperleaf red. Not the colour I ordered but as it was originally a company car and this one was fully loaded ( and the car policy was being changed) I took my Grandfather's advice: A bird in the hand is worth all the other b*****s in the bush!

The colour has grown on me though.

Mike

geoffm
8th February 2011, 10:22
On the subject of paintwork, I have noticed the top cellouse ( poor spelling I know ) layer lifting off the mettalic green on the rear wing about 3" square so far.
I'm assuming this is the break down of protection caused by UV sun rays over the eight year period the car has been manufactured, anyone have ideas of how best to do a diy repair or even for a small area get into a body shop.

Thanks

Geoff