PDA

View Full Version : Offside dipped bulb not working

smithy3636
6th February 2011, 17:36
I'm very confused tonight - the bulb stopped working yesterday, replaced with a new bulb which still didn't work. Tested new and old bulb in nearside connector and both worked fine. Put voltmeter on offside connector and voltage and amps is fine. Wired in a test bulb at lower wattage and this doesn't illuminate either. Both main beam and parking lights are ok apart from the offside parking light is a little dimmer than nearside!! My only conclusion is that it's an earthing problem - anyone agreer? If not I'd be happy to take any suggestions, thanks in advance Mark

suffolk boy
6th February 2011, 17:43
hi there is under the wheel arch liner on the passenger side a connector.this is often the cause of the problem coroded wires being one of them have a look there good luck

kiowa
6th February 2011, 17:59
Had the same problem with mine and all though it was showing a voltage the bulb would not work.It turned out to be the wires had worn through on the inner wing replaced the damaged cable and all is back to normal

HarryM1BYT
6th February 2011, 19:07
I'm very confused tonight - the bulb stopped working yesterday, replaced with a new bulb which still didn't work. Tested new and old bulb in nearside connector and both worked fine. Put voltmeter on offside connector and voltage and amps is fine. Wired in a test bulb at lower wattage and this doesn't illuminate either. Both main beam and parking lights are ok apart from the offside parking light is a little dimmer than nearside!! My only conclusion is that it's an earthing problem - anyone agreer? If not I'd be happy to take any suggestions, thanks in advance Mark

You can have what appears to be the correct full voltage, when tested with a meter, but because the meter draws almost no current - the voltage might be being supplied via an high resistance connection, too high a resistance to light the lamp. If in any doubt, always use a test lamp.

smithy3636
7th February 2011, 20:16
Thanks for your suggestions and giving me confidence I may be able to fix it - I'll start looking around for a bad connection this weekend.