PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a live feed under the bonnet - heated washers

Hainsie
6th February 2011, 18:50
I've spent the last few hours trawling through the huge amount of threads relating to that common issue of no connector under the front wing for a heated washer jet upgrade.

My 2004 ZTT doesn't have the connector and I could do with something a bit more specific pointing me in the right direction of where to get my live feed from under the bonnet.

Sorry if this one has been covered, just can't seem to find a definitive answer on the site.

Cheers:}

mark_bonsai
6th February 2011, 19:08
The common solution I believe is to pick up the power feed to the mirrors.

stocktake
6th February 2011, 19:09
I have used the live to the screen washers as an ign live for low load items. took it from front nearside corner. This is an ign on live as the washers are switched on the neg. Bit of a last option if nobody else can point you in direction of an ign live such as heated mirrors :)

Hainsie
6th February 2011, 20:05
Thanks for the advice, where can I pick up the heated mirror live??

wuzerk
6th February 2011, 22:15
If you get stuck you will find that fuse 4 (15Amp) in the engine compartment fuse box is live when the engine is turned on and not live about six seconds after the engine is turned off. Fuse 4 is the second down on the right. This applies to the DIESELS.

Yella Fella
7th February 2011, 07:30
I had the same problem, no connector :shrug: however a member suggested piggy backing a fuse and suggested i buy one of these 'fuse holder bypass' . .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370356408306&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/2d/74/1a_1_b.JPG

I have not fitted it yet, but i does look like a smart wee gadget. I think this is how it works . . .

Decide which fuse you want to use in the fuse box.
Remove it and replace with the 'fuse holder bypass'
Insert the fuse you removed and another of the same rating.
Your live from the Heated Windscreen Washers is connected to the red lead from the 'fuse bypass holder'
The negative can be earthed in the engine bay somewhere.
As I say dont quote me on these points, I have purchased the fuse bypass holder but not fitted the heated windscreen washers yet.

Good luck.

Yella Fella :sunny:

wuzerk
7th February 2011, 08:01
If you are going to piggyback a fuse I would always use a lower rated one on the one which has been added to the original. If you cannot do that because your new circuit takes too much current then you shouldn't take a feed from that particular original fuse.

Hainsie
7th February 2011, 11:11
Hey guys, some great ideas here!

I reckon I'll piggy back off fuse 4 with Yella fellas nifty gadget and find an earth somewhere. So the 15A fuse would need to go back in the piggy back holder (I assume it will be marked for the existing to slot into).

What is the fuse rating for the heated washers? Point noted from Wuzerk on the current

T-Cut
7th February 2011, 16:33
What is the fuse rating for the heated washers? Point noted from Wuzerk on the current

I'd have thought 5amp should be, er ample.

TC

Hainsie
7th February 2011, 16:49
Very witty TC:clap:

Bernard LPG
7th February 2011, 18:48
If you are going to piggyback a fuse I would always use a lower rated one on the one which has been added to the original. If you cannot do that because your new circuit takes too much current then you shouldn't take a feed from that particular original fuse.

Maybe worth adding the note that the new piggyback fuse does not take its feed through the original but is in parallel with it. I have used a few of these and to me at least, it seems to be a good idea.

billcoleman
7th February 2011, 20:37
I used a 5amp piggy back fuse over the heated mirror fuse (which is also 5amp). Works a treat and is effectively on the same circuit as originally intended.

Hainsie
14th February 2011, 17:12
Ok, I've fitted my washer jets, only issue was the link for the piggy back fuse holder was for a micro blade fuse!

No worries, I've fitted it, not ideal, but its in. I've ordered a standard blade size so will replace it when it arrives.

Took power from fuse 4 and earthed behind the fuse box with the battery earth.

The big question is how do I know they work unless we get a cold snap!!

Thanks for everyone's help on this, hopefully this will give a definitive answer for those without the wiring loom.