PDA

View Full Version : 3 kv6 problems, HELP required please!!!

g-mac
7th February 2011, 01:21
it never rains but.............

all help appreciated as its now too dangerous to drive

1. for the past two days my revs wont stop climbing, shes idles higher on each gear than normal and some times climbs to 7,8 before i have to quickly switch off the engine, (had to do this on the motorway tonight so its very dangerous and nearly blew the engine)
its worse when i hold in the clutch as then shes shoots right up and wont stop! is this a throttle body fault? as ive recently changed to a better manifold but i used the existing throttle body, also gave it a clean?? i have a spare if its the reason?

2. again past two days my airbag light has been coming on? my seats have never been adjusted or tampered with so?

3. since fitting the newer manifold last week there is a slight faint rubbing squeal from the cambelt area, when the engine is truned off it continues for a second or two, i can only describe it as when you pinch a balloon and let air out? maybe i didnt hear this when i had a rattly manifold but could this be serous? my belts, tensioner and pump were changed last summer

or even maybe all three are related?

please please help as i cannot use her till i know she wont blow up down the road!

kaiser
7th February 2011, 04:51
If all are related, then maybe the plenum (ECU) wet?

As for revs climbing, check the cable and the actuator on the throttle body for free movement.

SD1too
7th February 2011, 06:37
... I've recently changed to a better manifold ...
Hello Gareth,

When you say "manifold" I'm assuming that you mean the inlet manifold chamber (the black plastic assembly) as opposed to the proper manifolds, i.e. the aluminium "bunch of bananas" pipes bolted to the cylinder heads.

What do you mean by "better"? A second-hand item from e-bay? Did you transfer your original VIS actuators? Could the replacement chamber be leaking or have a fault? Could you have accidentally forgotten to re-attach one of the vacuum hoses? Is the throttle butterfly operating properly (if you have cruise control check that one as well).

The first thing I would do is re-trace my steps and check all my previous work.

Simon.

Robson Rover Repair
7th February 2011, 07:21
1. for the past two days my revs wont stop climbing, shes idles higher on each gear than normal and some times climbs to 7,8 before i have to quickly switch off the engine, (had to do this on the motorway tonight so its very dangerous and nearly blew the engine)
its worse when i hold in the clutch as then shes shoots right up and wont stop! is this a throttle body fault? as ive recently changed to a better manifold but i used the existing throttle body, also gave it a clean?? i have a spare if its the reason?

No need mate, its your throlltle wire is sticking along with the small mechanism, and for some reason when it sticks it toghtens up fully. They stick when dirty, get the wd 40 out, and squirt over the throttle mechanism and the two white switches beside it. Will sort you out nicely.

It shoots up high as the gearbox is stoping the engine going through the roof, this happens most after icey and during icey weather, ive mine covered in petrol vaso jelly now and it never happened once over the bad weather.

Very common on the KV6 and the reason rover was going to fly by wire throttle on the revised but never sold KV6;s.

So - sorted. ;)

2. again past two days my airbag light has been coming on? my seats have never been adjusted or tampered with so?

They come off on their own randomly mate. Just make sure you dont have the key in the ignition, and try squeezing the connectors together a bit under drivers and passenger seat.

Also, did you have the battery disconnected during the manifold swop? Disconnect it again, and leave it off for about two hours, and try again. Should sort it if its a simple ecu issue.

Will more than likely sort it. ;)

3. since fitting the newer manifold last week there is a slight faint rubbing squeal from the cambelt area, when the engine is truned off it continues for a second or two, i can only describe it as when you pinch a balloon and let air out? maybe i didnt hear this when i had a rattly manifold but could this be serous? my belts, tensioner and pump were changed last summer

As long as its not a knocking sound down low behind the engine mate you will most likely find that its actually the top manifold gasket sealent hasnt worked or set right in the top left of the engine (where the top belt is beside the manifold etc) and your hearing the air escaping from the engine only because the engine idol noise is no longer desguising it mate.

Did you replace the gasket or recycle it, recycle on them is instant fail from what ive read! Gasket is dirt cheap, about £10 so that would be my first go mate, and also clean all the old sealent off the manifold and top of engine before reapplying it.

Id again bet this sorts it mate. :}

BTW, Trever from BXR cars is coming down saturday for a general chat and nosy, so he could have a look for you also mate.

g-mac
7th February 2011, 11:07
cheers thats a better answer than i feared,
Colin thanks ill dive into this week and correct it all in time for Saturday

the manifold i changed was the top plastic one and i changed the vis with it, ive no cruise control

Robson Rover Repair
7th February 2011, 18:35
Id offer to help mate, but im nightshift all week! ;)