PDA

View Full Version : *** Radio / TMC Issue FIXED ***

Pages : [1] 2

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 12:59
See below for some of the posts from the other thread..

( http://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75691 (http://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75691) )

Thought would start a new thread just based on the fix...

If anyone would like to buy one of these units, I can build to order, however it would be much better if I can order more bits in one go as that will cut down on postatge costs and I may be able to drop the price slightly..

If you want one of the origional units that only boost by 6db then it's £27.50 inc postage, again, built to order.

All,

Here is how I have fixed this....

This is a Video showing what the reception of both Radio & TMC is like now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fj7fnwr7WI

And here is a video of how I achieved it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptyCKwinFw

The cable that I have attached to the Aerial on in the passenger side rear pillar feeds into the NEW amp...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/New22dbUnit3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/New22dbUnit1.jpg

And then this feeds the TMC only...

The Radio is fed as it should be from the Car's own Aerial feed...so I have removed the need for a splitter...

Just hunted out the vids (impatient or what!).

Very impressive results - does the extra bit of co-ax impact on the radio reception at all?

Cliff

in short NO !!! :D

In all the channels I tuned into there were NO issues, with the exception of 774 Mhz in the AM band, but I can live with that !!! ( Now Sorted !! see below )

This is far the BEST option for those of us with the Radio / TMC inputs...because I have taken the feed before the Car's amp gets it, it seems to be fine

Tell you what though...I am worn out !...taken about 12 hours over the last two days of trying this, trying that, every configuration I could think of and then today I have tried
various methods and this is the best 99.9 % Pefection ! :drool4:
Just got to put everything back now but it's raining again !

***EDIT***

Just been back and put the screws etc back and made sure all the connections were solid...I can now get at least six AM channels - all with good reception 774 mhz is now much better.

See below for the videos...

AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKpOY0hvdU

FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsbfj6WrooQ

TMC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtr-pIlj3w

Now the cost !....

To build and including postage will be £35 per unit..

That will include fully built Amp, including the cables in and out + the extension cables..I will leave the end of the 1st cable on so you can adjust how much you need to trim it by to fit.

The price allows me to make £5 after the Paypal charges etc, which given that it will take over an hour per unit to build I think is fair..

Whether or not Sean will pay for these ( if it's for a DD bought from him of course ) I don't know...if your watching Sean, what would you like to do here ?....

Hi Mark,

I'm truly cob smacked that it works so well.

Am I understanding it correctly, that you have tapped onto the input to the Rover amp? I would have thought that would seriously degrade the signal into the amp. I suspect in part, that the inner which has had its outer screen removed, will be picking up a lot of the signal.

I have tapped into the INPUT to the Rover amp, so not to degrade OUTPUT from the amp...That seemed to give the best performance.

Where are you intending to fit the new amp? I suggest that could be fitted alongside the Rover amp and be tapped into its 12v supply.

I have installed mine behind the Glovebox so the boost is just before the H/U, although I am sure it can be done at the other end too. Personal choice I think..
and I didn't want to degrade the voltage getting to the Rover amp..

I'll be very impressed if I can get Aire FM that good - the tranmitter is located at Tingley, by the M62 BTW. I'm only 7 miles from it.

I couldn't get Radio Aire OR Capital AT ALL before, when using the splitter ! and I live 27 miles from Leeds !...

Those AM stations sound good too, I have never been able to use it due to background noises.

I am not really an AM listener, but wanted to make sure it worked for those who are

Finally, when do we get them? :drool4:

I guess the first thing is to see who wants them, then I can give an estimate on timescales, as there's no point doing them in dribs and drabs as that just increases on postage costs for the bits required..

Hi Mark,

definatly interested here. Just say when you need the £35.00.

Cheers,

Cliff

Thanks Cliff,

Will give it a few days to see if anyone else wants one and then take it from there...

VVC-Geeza
7th February 2011, 19:42
Well done Mark,that is excellent work.

Thank you for your efforts :)

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 19:52
Well done Mark,that is excellent work.

Thank you for your efforts :)

Cheers for that :}

baconbuttyman
7th February 2011, 19:54
Well done mark, well impressed, i have ordered one of the new units so when that arrives depending on the the results on Seans testing i will be interested in one of these, i think you need to start a list of buyers.

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 20:02
Well done mark, well impressed, i have ordered one of the new units so when that arrives depending on the the results on Seans testing i will be interested in one of these, i think you need to start a list of buyers.

Thanks for that BBMan !...

It's taken a while but it's not always as straight forward as you first think !

The price may be an issue for people but worth it in my opinion !

baconbuttyman
7th February 2011, 20:07
Thanks for that BBMan !...

It's taken a while but it's not always as straight forward as you first think !

The price may be an issue for people but worth it in my opinion !

i think so too, £35 is a good price and i for one dont begrudge a profit, thats how business's survive.

Robson Rover Repair
7th February 2011, 20:07
Mark this is 100% excellent work.

I will buy one of these off you after March 20th when im married as my radio is useless without one of these.

Good job lad, well done!

Will you be able to do a step by step guide for colour blind wiring numpties like me? :}

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 20:28
Thanks Colin,

Wiring is dead simple...Red goes to Green / White and Black to Black

Or just find which wire in your loom has a 12v feed with the ignition on but not off so you don't drain the battery !

You can see what you need to do othe aerial side in the video

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 20:30
i think so too, £35 is a good price and i for one dont begrudge a profit, thats how business's survive.

Cheers BBMan, it's not so much profit as a small contribution for the time it takes to build and the blinking Paypal charges !.

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 20:43
I am getting a few PM's for these and as I only have limited pm space so the best thing to do is to post if you want one and I will pm you my email addy
so we can sort out payment and delivery address etc..

If I can get enough orders by Friday then I can order what I need & get them built sharpish !..

I estimate a 7 - 10 day lead time or quicker if enough people order then I can get next day delivery and start making the units when I get home from work..

Simondi
7th February 2011, 20:53
Great work there, mark me down for one please:D

Banjo
7th February 2011, 21:04
The Chinese are brilliant at making hi tech stuff - but it looks like its the Brits who are still able to make them work properly - well done !

CDTi
7th February 2011, 21:07
Mark - get people to send the Paypal payment as a "gift" so you don't pay any charges ;)

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 21:21
Mark - get people to send the Paypal payment as a "gift" so you don't pay any charges ;)

Good idea CDTi..

Guys, please send your payments as a GIFT rather than a payment..

Thanks !...

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 21:22
The Chinese are brilliant at making hi tech stuff - but it looks like its the Brits who are still able to make them work properly - well done !

Cheers Banjo, nothing like a stubben Yorkshire I.T. Tech to sort it ! :D

Burton Brewer
7th February 2011, 21:23
Hi Mark.
Your a clever bloke bud, Ive seen your vids, put me down for one Mark my £35 is here for you.
Ive got a mk1 02 tourer and I like to think that I have the same set up as your saloon with the amp in the back passenger pillar. I did have a symphony radio/cd player fitted originally.

Ive noticed your amp in the back pillar has a 12v supply, where did you pick this up from? I guess the supply now is dead since I removed my syphony set up.

Thanks Mark again.

Cheers Steve.

madone
7th February 2011, 21:32
Hi Mark.
Your a clever bloke bud, Ive seen your vids, put me down for one Mark my £35 is here for you.
Ive got a mk1 02 tourer and I like to think that I have the same set up as your saloon with the amp in the back passenger pillar. I did have a symphony radio/cd player fitted originally.

Ive noticed your amp in the back pillar has a 12v supply, where did you pick this up from? I guess the supply now is dead since I removed my syphony set up.

Thanks Mark again.

Cheers Steve.

Dont think you need worry as I had a Symphony with non diversity amp and the 12v supply is still live after fitting a DD.

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 21:37
Hi Mark.

Thanks Mark again.

Cheers Steve.

Steve,

As Graham says, it may well still be live...

Get a multimeter on it..Red Probe on the little plug and Black Probe on one of the Nuts for Ground...

Should be between 11.6 and 12.4 volts

I will PM you with the payment details...

Thanks

HarryM1BYT
7th February 2011, 22:02
Suffering short arms and deep pockets :D

Didn't Radioguy offer to contribute towards a solution to the reception problems?

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 22:06

Didn't Radioguy offer to contribute towards a solution to the reception problems?

LOL Harry...

Sean did come onboard for the 1st version, but having sent out two units to teflon & madone, as well as building mine, this version didn't really cut the mustard.

I have yet to see a response from Sean on the latest 22db version and the videos etc...

Sean....over to you my friend !!

HarryM1BYT
7th February 2011, 22:50
Can I suggest - Let's just hold back a bit and see where Sean wants to go with this - full, part or no contribution to the solution.

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 23:12
I am happy to wait, am not going anywhere ! Lol...

It's up to everyone else and of course depends on if the DD came from Sean or not...

If Sean does do something then all good ! And any money sent already can be sent back...

Let's wait and see what happens !

MARKUK
8th February 2011, 17:46
Hi All,

It's me again ! lol.....:D

I was up in Washington in the North East today..as that's where one of my sites that I cover is and I thought I would show you what the reception etc is like there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP_QpE6fix0

Or you can see all of the videos in one place here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheVanBastensUK

As I mention toward the end of the video, there are still going to be issues when it comes to a weak signal, as there is no way of boosting 100% of all the channels available out there 100% of the time.

Consequently, Classic in particular was a bit "patchy" on the A1M as there's nothing much around and other stronger local channels popped in and out on around about the same frequency as I was driving..

But other channels were 100% crystal clear and I was able to get far more channels than I would have normally got using the splitter..

TMC was unaffected throughout the entire journey. :D

So far I have 7 confirmed orders and 2 possibles..:bowdown:

Sean has been in contact with me today and I am expecting a reply to my reply sometime this evening..

So hold off any payments until we find out what Sean is preapred to do on this..

What I will say is that if your DD was not bought from Sean, don't expect him to pay for an amp as that wouldn't be fair !! :}

Burton Brewer
8th February 2011, 19:51
So far I have 7 confirmed orders and 2 possibles..:bowdown:

Sean has been in contact with me today and I am expecting a reply to my reply sometime this evening..

So hold off any payments until we find out what Sean is preapred to do on this..

What I will say is that if your DD was not bought from Sean, don't expect him to pay for an amp as that wouldn't be fair !! :}[/QUOTE]

OK Mark, Thankyou for your PM bud, Ill hold off until a bit later.
Thanks again.
Steve.

MARKUK
8th February 2011, 20:03
No worries Steve

kevineds
8th February 2011, 20:07
I have got a unit on order from Sean, so will be interested in one of your units ;)

MARKUK
8th February 2011, 20:20
I have got a unit on order from Sean, so will be interested in one of your units ;)

No problem, will add you to the list...

Mind you, probably worth waiting for the results from Sean as he has the new unit out for testing at the moment...You may not need one of the Amps...

eastydl
9th February 2011, 08:51
Hi Mark, can you please add me to the list aswell?

Thanks

David

Radioguy
9th February 2011, 13:55
LOL Harry...

Sean did come onboard for the 1st version, but having sent out two units to teflon & madone, as well as building mine, this version didn't really cut the mustard.

I have yet to see a response from Sean on the latest 22db version and the videos etc...

Sean....over to you my friend !!

Sorry Guys , Not been around Much and playing catch up today

How many of these are needed?

Radioguy
9th February 2011, 14:02
Maybe Email me if you are interested in one of these, I have a request into the factory to help with the costs, I am in for at least a part of this ..... And am in discussions to get the Factory to participate as well..

If you want to get going NOW, Send your payment to Mark and I will refund you once I ge this settled out ... The problem is the Chinese new Year... Most are not back to work until next Monday then will be the After Rush and BackLog
But I Promise, i WILL be doing something towards the costs of these.
For those that Purchased from me that is !

Sean (AKA RadioGuy)

MARKUK
9th February 2011, 15:43

Harry,

Does this mean you are wanting one if there is help payment wise ?

MARKUK
9th February 2011, 15:45
Maybe Email me if you are interested in one of these, I have a request into the factory to help with the costs, I am in for at least a part of this ..... And am in discussions to get the Factory to participate as well..

If you want to get going NOW, Send your payment to Mark and I will refund you once I ge this settled out ... The problem is the Chinese new Year... Most are not back to work until next Monday then will be the After Rush and BackLog
But I Promise, i WILL be doing something towards the costs of these.
For those that Purchased from me that is !

Sean (AKA RadioGuy)

Sean,

I have a total off 11 names so far, the list seems to be growing day by day !..

I have received payments from 2 of the 11, was waiting on what was going to happen before accepting anymore payments.

How many DD's are out there ?

** EDIT ** Make that 14 now !

tony_fry
9th February 2011, 16:06
Sean,

I have a total off 11 names so far, the list seems to be growing day by day !..

I have received payments from 2 of the 11, was waiting on what was going to happen before accepting anymore payments.

How many DD's are out there ?

I think Sean has sold aroud 50 or so units, but sure he will give you more info.

HarryM1BYT
9th February 2011, 18:31
Harry,

Does this mean you are wanting one if there is help payment wise ?

Yes, put me definately down for one - but I really would rather let Sean sort his part out first before making a payment, than mess about with refunds later on. I think the refunds might involve paypal making even more money out of it(?)

I don't mind a self assembly kit of parts (is it a kit?), if that would help?

Mine is a Sean supplied unit BTW.

MARKUK
9th February 2011, 18:56
Yes, put me definately down for one - but I really would rather let Sean sort his part out first before making a payment, than mess about with refunds later on. I think the refunds might involve paypal making even more money out of it(?)

I don't mind a self assembly kit of parts (is it a kit?), if that would help?

Mine is a Sean supplied unit BTW.

Your on the list Harry...

All you will need to do ( in fact this is what everyone will need to do )

Trim off the outer plastic of one end of the aerial cable ( from the cut end ! ) and trim back the sheilding then attach as per the video...

Run the cable to the back of the H/U and attach to H/U taking power from the Green / White for + and Black for - ( or anywhere else you have a switched feed )

I will probably either shrink wrap the units or wrap with some film as the 12v goes through the entire unit which if your not careful can sort against the DD and blow Fuse 11 in the glovebox Fuse Panel ( 5 Amp )

That's it !

HarryM1BYT
9th February 2011, 19:15
Your on the list Harry...

All you will need to do ( in fact this is what everyone will need to do )

Trim off the outer plastic of one end of the aerial cable ( from the cut end ! ) and trim back the sheilding then attach as per the video...

Run the cable to the back of the H/U and attach to H/U taking power from the Green / White for + and Black for - ( or anywhere else you have a switched feed )

I will probably either shrink wrap the units or wrap with some film as the 12v goes through the entire unit which if your not careful can sort against the DD and blow Fuse 11 in the glovebox Fuse Panel ( 5 Amp )

That's it !

It sounds as if it might even destroy the amp itself if not properly insulated. I've seen short bits of plastic electrical trunking used for insulating these things, which is fairly cheap from electrical w/salers. Like a large U shape with a snap on lid in several sizes. The voltage sensing relay for my tow socket is mounted in a 3" bit of such trunking as it came from the manufacturer - to insulate and protect the PCB.

MARKUK
9th February 2011, 19:34
It sounds as if it might even destroy the amp itself if not properly insulated. I've seen short bits of plastic electrical trunking used for insulating these things, which is fairly cheap from electrical w/salers. Like a large U shape with a snap on lid in several sizes. The voltage sensing relay for my tow socket is mounted in a 3" bit of such trunking as it came from the manufacturer - to insulate and protect the PCB.

As long as the unit is inlsulated it won't be an issue...and I will be sending them out tested and ready to go !..

MARKUK
10th February 2011, 15:44
All,

Sean is awaiting a response from the factory on if they are prepared to put any money his way to support this so there are a couple of options...

1. Wait until Sean gets back with what he prepared / able to do

2. Get them built and then Sean will refund those who have paid with whatever is agreed..

There's no real point in ordering in dribs and drabs as that only increases the P&P costs etc..

I have a couple of people who have already paid, so if the rest wish to pay before Sean comes back with his side then send to the below

auction_sales "at" sky.com

You can also email me directly rather than PM..

Please make sure you send as a "gift" payment and include your forum name and full address details so I know where its getting posted to.

This is the current list of the 14 people who said they wanted one

AldoR
Baconbuttyman
Burton Brewer
Colin_NI
Eastydl
HarryM1BYT
Kevineds
Madone (Paid)
RichB
Roneast
Scouse1958 (Paid)
Simondi
Teflon
Tony_fry

I am happy to do whatever !...

By the way, and entirely off topic...My wife works for SKY so if anyone who hasn't already got SKY wants a good deal let me know and I will send you details and a special code
These don't cost anything, they are given to all SKY staff free to give to friends and familly, am more than happy to pass them on if people want them.

madone
10th February 2011, 16:13
Hi Mark

I am happy for you to go ahead asap please and wait to see if/when/how much Sean can offer on a refund.

MARKUK
10th February 2011, 16:23
OK Graham,

That's one for build now...

Best case scenario is that if I have enough orders & payments in to warrant getting all the stuff in for Monday ( it's too late to get a delivery for tomorrow ) I can probably have them posted out by next weekend..

Radioguy
10th February 2011, 16:39
Guys ! I GUARANTEE At least 50% of this will be refunded to you... I am waiting the factory return to see what their position is...

Sean

MARKUK
10th February 2011, 16:42
Guys ! I GUARANTEE At least 50% of this will be refunded to you... I am waiting the factory return to see what their position is...

Sean

Great to hear Sean, well done for that ! :D...

So guys, the worst case scenario for you is that it will now only cost you £17.50 after Sean refunds the difference...With a possibilty of more to come if Sean can beat the factory bosses around the head !..

So if you want to go ahead, see my earlier post for payment details..:D

madone
10th February 2011, 16:57

Sean

Thanks a lot Sean.

OK everyone, when you receive the new booster kit dont all of you try to sell your splitters, in line amps, seperate amplified aerials or whatever else you bought on eBay before me :D:D

MARKUK
10th February 2011, 17:45
Thanks a lot Sean.

OK everyone, when you receive the new booster kit dont all of you try to sell your splitters, in line amps, seperate amplified aerials or whatever else you bought on eBay before me :D:D

Nice one Graham, :D

And I have bits and pieces too ! lol

parahandy
10th February 2011, 18:19
Hi Mark

I am happy for you to go ahead asap please and wait to see if/when/how much Sean can offer on a refund.
And one for me too please

MARKUK
10th February 2011, 18:30
That makes it 15 !!..

Any more for any more ?? :D

Simondi
10th February 2011, 20:21
Payment sent

MARKUK
10th February 2011, 20:43
Guys,

If you are sending payments, these need to be a gift and for the entire £35

Sean is the one who will be refunding the difference between that and the minimum 50% that he has promised.

( just as long as your unit was from him of course !! )

Thanks

Burton Brewer
11th February 2011, 21:42
Hi Mark.
Payment sent-£35
Cheers Steve.
:D

MARKUK
11th February 2011, 21:43
Cheers Steve, got it !

Guys,

That's 8 paid out of the 16..

If you can get your payments in please I will order the rest of the parts tomorrow ( Saturday ) for hopefully delivery on Monday...

I need to get started on building these as I am Scotland all week the following week and won't get the chance..

Sean will then confirm how much ( other than the 50% he has said so far ) he will be sending you back !..

Teflon
12th February 2011, 09:14
...If you can get your payments in please I will order the rest of the parts tomorrow ( Saturday ) ....

Oops!

Just read this and realised I hadn't yet sent in my payment. Now done, although like a numpty I left my forum name off the form. :getmecoat:

The payment from C D Bradley is mine :D

Cheers,

Cliff

MARKUK
12th February 2011, 09:25
Hi Cliff,

Got it !..

I knew it was you :D

Just 7 more people to pay now please...

kevineds
12th February 2011, 15:50
money, just sent - forgot to include my forum name:getmecoat:

MARKUK
12th February 2011, 16:03
money, just sent - forgot to include my forum name:getmecoat:

Thanks Kevin, just seen your payment pop up on my iPad !..

I knew it was probably you !...

So that's 11 down 5 to go !

I am going to be shipping in the order that people paid :D

norbury brook
14th February 2011, 09:23
Been away for a while and just seen this. Put me down for one as my radio reception is terrible.

Marcus

MARKUK
14th February 2011, 09:32
Been away for a while and just seen this. Put me down for one as my radio reception is terrible.

Marcus

No worries Marcus,

Send me an email from the link below and I will send on the details

Cheers

MARKUK
14th February 2011, 15:09
Hi all,

I now have 18 people who want the amp / aerial mod kit..

So far I have 11 people that have paid and 7 people yet to pay.

Can those who have indicated they wanted one, please sort out your payments asap...

Cheers :D

HarryM1BYT
14th February 2011, 18:04
Thanks a lot Sean.

I only have an homemade splitter to sell, what am I going to do:D

HarryM1BYT
14th February 2011, 18:09
Hi all,

I now have 18 people who want the amp / aerial mod kit..

So far I have 11 people that have paid and 7 people yet to pay.

Can those who have indicated they wanted one, please sort out your payments asap...

Cheers :D

In these circumstances, what I do is set a deadline and any who have not commited by that deadline go into a second batch. I'm sure there will be lots more stragglers wanting to order in a second and maybe even a third batch.

MARKUK
14th February 2011, 18:24
Hi Harry,

I know what you mean...

I have actually bought and paid for enough parts etc to make 20 of the mod kits to send out on the strength of the requests that I have had.

What I will do however is sell any unpaid kits to those who pay and then those who are yet to pay will have to wait for the next run, assuming there is enough demand of course !

So if any of those that are yet to pay havent done so by Friday, I will let theirs go to the next person who pays !

MARKUK
15th February 2011, 22:33
Hi All,

Quick update for you...

Started building the Amps tonight...5 units are 90% built..

Still waiting on some componants to arrive so will carry on again tomorrow..

Probably going to try and build at least 5 a night and then finish them all off once I have the final bits...They are taking about an hour and 15
mins each, so am going to the sofa now as I have been sat at the kitchen table most of the night !...:D

Only the one burn too !...ouch ! :(

Hopefully I will have everything I need to finish them all and send out by the weekend, if not it will be next week so fingers crossed,
as I am in Scotland Monday - Thursday !....

By the way...still got 5 people yet to pay

Sean and I will be organising the refund situation shortly !...

HarryM1BYT
15th February 2011, 22:50
Hi All,

Quick update for you...

Started building the Amps tonight...5 units are 90% built..

Does it include the coax needed to get from front to rear, or do we need to source that ourselves? Just so I/we know what is needed to install it when it turns up and be ready.

"Only the one burn too !...ouch ! :("

You are supposed to hold the cool end of the iron :D

MARKUK
15th February 2011, 22:55
Does it include the coax needed to get from front to rear, or do we need to source that ourselves? Just so I/we know what is needed to install it when it turns up and be ready.

"Only the one burn too !...ouch ! :("

You are supposed to hold the cool end of the iron :D

The answer to your question is this Harry...

This is what you will be getting when the Jiffy Bag arrives...

1 x TMC Amp
1 x Red Scot Block
1 x Blue Scot Block
6 x Cable Ties
2 x 2M Extension Cables
1 x Set of Instructions with Colour Photos

I thought I would provide pretty much everything you need !..
So not a bad deal for the money !

I got distracted by the wife and cats and dog in the Kitchen !...:)

Videos Posted...

What you get....

[/URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2DcovCkoVE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDVoB6KaECU)

Connecting Amp to to DD Unit

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1FrUgxw6bQ

HarryM1BYT
16th February 2011, 14:22
The answer to your question is this Harry...

What you get....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2DcovCkoVE

Connecting Amp to to DD Unit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1FrUgxw6bQ

Ta!

Oh that's posh!

MARKUK
16th February 2011, 14:28
Ta!

Oh that's posh!

What's Posh Harry ?

philb37
16th February 2011, 15:06
I just had an email from sean advising new units will ship next week, would I need one of these?

Teflon
16th February 2011, 15:10
Hopefully not, as I believe the reception issue has been sorted on the latest batch of units.

Cliff

philb37
16th February 2011, 15:14
Thanks mate.

madone
16th February 2011, 17:00
Very impressive Mark. Well done again :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

MARKUK
16th February 2011, 18:00
Cheers Graham :D..I try :)

HarryM1BYT
16th February 2011, 18:39
What's Posh Harry ?

Posh, impressive, upmarket - suitably impressive for the 75 :-)

MARKUK
16th February 2011, 19:05
Posh, impressive, upmarket - suitably impressive for the 75 :-)

Awww cheers matey :D... Nice of you to say so...

Have put a lot of time and effort into the Mod Kit, I hope when everyone gets theirs, it does the job as well for them as it has for me :}

baconbuttyman
17th February 2011, 10:31
Hopefully not, as I believe the reception issue has been sorted on the latest batch of units.

Cliff

Am waiting to try the new unit before I buy off mark. The reception would need to be spot on to warrent not buying marks unit. I can't see it being 100% though. That's why I an holding off from buying marks unit yet

Burton Brewer
17th February 2011, 21:45
Hi Mark,
I was going to ask you for some written instructions, it nice to have something in black and white (or colour) while doing something like this.
There is no rush for my bag of goodies, my next few week ends are going to be busy doing other things like working and making beer.
Your the bee's knee's Mark!
Thankyou again.
Steve.

This is what you will be getting when the Jiffy Bag arrives...

1 x TMC Amp
1 x Red Scot Block
1 x Blue Scot Block
6 x Cable Ties
2 x 2M Extension Cables
1 x Set of Instructions with Colour Photos

MARKUK
17th February 2011, 23:44
Cheers for that Steve...

Won't be long now...have spent another 6 hours at the Kitchen Table tonight !.....

Should be able to ship very soon !

MARKUK
19th February 2011, 11:06
Afternoon all.....

The last few bits I needed turned up this morning and I will be putting the finishing touches to the Amps and then packing !...

They will then be posted out on Monday :D

Out of the origional people who said they wanted one I have had payments from only 13 members, so they are the only ones that are going to be sent out.

( I think a few of those are waiting on their new units from Sean and are therefore waiting to see if they need it or not...)

I will probably be doing another run at some point, if the orders are there and I have another 4 Mod Kits built and ready to go..and enough stuff left to build another 3,
but that won't be until next week when I get back from Scotland..

I still have to arrange with Sean, how the refunds of the part that Sean has agreed to pay gets back to you but I am sure it won't be too long !..

tony_fry
19th February 2011, 11:10
I still have to arrange with Sean, how the refunds of the part that Sean has agreed to pay gets back to you but I am sure it won't be too long !..

Sean is away taking a well deserved long break over the weekend, so you might not get a reply until Tuesday.

Radioguy
21st February 2011, 03:22
Thanks Tony

Mark , I SENT The Money TO the Wrong Paypal Address, resending ...

Sean

MisterTomez
21st February 2011, 03:52
I've only just seen this thread as I too have terrible reception and would definitely be interested in getting this amp kit that you're making Mark, great work on that btw. ;)

I take it we don't yet know how much Sean will be refunding for this? Or have I missed it somewhere?

Cheers

MARKUK
21st February 2011, 08:01
I've only just seen this thread as I too have terrible reception and would definitely be interested in getting this amp kit that you're making Mark, great work on that btw. ;)

I take it we don't yet know how much Sean will be refunding for this? Or have I missed it somewhere?

Cheers

Hi

As long as your DD was from Sean, he will refund 50% of the cost so that means you get £17.50 back once you have paid the £35...

I am on my way to Scotland this morning via the post office to post out those that are done so I won't be able to post any more units out until Friday at the earliest..

I do have some left if you would like one...

Thanks

baconbuttyman
21st February 2011, 08:40
Decided not to wait. Payment sent

MisterTomez
21st February 2011, 15:43
Cheers for that Mark, very tempting as I would definitely like to get this fixed. I'll let you know.

Thanks

MARKUK
21st February 2011, 16:26
Decided not to wait. Payment sent

Thanks BBMan, have seen the payment...

Will pass details on to Sean who will send me the refund part to send back.

I know you are waiting on a new unit so it's down to Sean what he does...

Will post out to you on Friday as won't get home from Scotland until Thursday evening..

MARKUK
21st February 2011, 16:31
All,

Those who have ordered and paid ( up until last night ) have had their Mod Kits posted out..

I have sent by Royal Mail 1st Class..

Please make sure you connect up everything before turning the juice on !!

And make sure that you check your power connections too...as I thought mine had broken, but it turned out that I had a loose connection !!..

And that was the last thing I checked !!!

baconbuttyman
21st February 2011, 18:19
Thanks BBMan, have seen the payment...

Will pass details on to Sean who will send me the refund part to send back.

I know you are waiting on a new unit so it's down to Sean what he does...

Will post out to you on Friday as won't get home from Scotland until Thursday evening..

no rush mate, when your ready :)

madone
22nd February 2011, 18:10
Cheers Mark arrived today. May be able to fit tomorrow if not defo on Friday.:bowdown::bowdown::D:D

HarryM1BYT
22nd February 2011, 19:48
Thanks Mark, it arrived today - a neat package. I'll not get around to installing until the weekend, assuming it is dry by then.

MARKUK
22nd February 2011, 19:52
Glad to hear they have arrived guys, and good to know you like the whole package !...

Am on tenterhooks now waiting for everyones feedback on how they are working...

Swordy
22nd February 2011, 20:10
Hi,
Can this help the ordinary radio reception on the earlier versions like my RDS model.

Have to say reception is not as good as the symphony unit I had before.

Paul

MARKUK
22nd February 2011, 20:38
Hi,
Can this help the ordinary radio reception on the earlier versions like my RDS model.

Have to say reception is not as good as the symphony unit I had before.

Paul

Hi, it should as that's what it's designed for, however, if you have a dodgy tuner a boosted signal Will make now difference.

Make sure that your aerial booster in the rear passenger pillar is getting the 12v feed, as that could be the issue.

And if you want a unit let me know..

Cheers

Robson Rover Repair
22nd February 2011, 21:41
Mark im still interested, but I must wait until my wedding is over march time to have spare funds.

Radioguy
22nd February 2011, 21:48
Mark im still interested, but I must wait until my wedding is over march time to have spare funds.

Colin
Ill Cover that until then

Mark Please put him Down for One.. Ill pay it Full and Colin can pay me when he can

Sean

MARKUK
22nd February 2011, 21:54
No worries guys,

Colin, send me a mail with your address details...

Robson Rover Repair
22nd February 2011, 21:58
Wasnt expecting that one.

Thanks Sean! Get you sorted Tuesday the 22nd of March when im aloud money again. :D

PM en route

MARKUK
22nd February 2011, 22:05
Got it Colin,

Will post out on Thursday / Friday when I back from Scotland.

madone
23rd February 2011, 17:09
It works :D:D:D never really doubted it would Mark :bowdown::bowdown:

Fitted it this afternoon as per instructions, no real problems fitting it.

I dont know how many times I have had the unit in and out whilst on and never a fuse blown but today :mad::mad: All I was trying to do was tidy up the wires!! I will have to get a couple of 5 amp ones now cos didnt have a spare in fuse box, nearest one being a 10 amp.

Only problem finishing off is them plastic covers (forgot what they called) that you need to remove to get the coax running along the inside of the sills. Will have another go on Friday. BTW to remove them press down and slide towards front of car.

I have not given the car a test yet but am 100% confident the TMC will work ok on the move. At last I have my radio and TMC working :D:D

Finally I would like to say a big thank you to Mark:bowdown::bowdown: also a thank you to Sean for being so supportive with this problem.

MARKUK
23rd February 2011, 17:21
Graham,

All I can say is Phew !!! :D :D :D

I knew it would work after all the R & D I did but I was
waiting with baited breath that it worked on another car
as well as mine, although I did have this working on Liams ZT
with the test DD so I knew the mod was good !!.

I did warn you about fuses !!..

Hopefully everyone else will be up and running soon !

Cheers

madone
23rd February 2011, 17:27
I was never in any doubt Mark :D:D:D

Teflon
23rd February 2011, 17:27
Received mine today and very impressed. Haven't fitted it yet, but still very impressed. The build quality, documentation, and general attention to detail is second to none.

Well done Mark, and thanks for all the hard work. Thanks are also due to Shaun for the exceptional customer service he provides.

Cheers,

Cliff

tony_fry
23rd February 2011, 17:29
Graham,

Cheers

Received my test model today, it will ahve to wait for the weekend to give it a try. :}:}:}

HarryM1BYT
23rd February 2011, 17:30
Graham,

Cheers

The length of exposed inner core, where it hooks onto the existing antenna at the rear screen - did you make the exposed section any particular length?

I have a feeling that the exposed inner will be helping pick up the TMC signal to at least some extent. Did you test the TMC's reception without actually hooking the inner onto the window antenna connection?

MARKUK
23rd February 2011, 17:58
Harry,

I didn't make it any specific lenth, probably about 3 inches I think
Yes I did try connecting to the window connections but decided that
it would be better soldered there but didn't want to muck up the main
aerial feed hence I did whats on the video & in the instructions...

And no the TMC didn't work until everything was connected as per video

Make sense ?

HarryM1BYT
23rd February 2011, 18:04
Yep, fine thanks..

MARKUK
23rd February 2011, 21:31
Received mine today and very impressed. Haven't fitted it yet, but still very impressed. The build quality, documentation, and general attention to detail is second to none.

Well done Mark, and thanks for all the hard work. Thanks are also due to Shaun for the exceptional customer service he provides.

Cheers,

Cliff

Thanks for your kind words Cliff, much apreciated
I tried to put as much into the whole package and
make it as good as I could.

I hope you are able to get the same results that I have
now got..

I must also add my thanks to Sean who has been of great
support to this and has shown what good customer service is
all about, where as we have seen, other suppliers would have
left us all out in the cold, having to fund this 100% so thanks.

MARKUK
24th February 2011, 17:31
Guys, am back from Scotland,

No issues with TMC working up there, Radio was much better than before, still a tad patchy in areas but to be honest, to be expected in the deep cuttings on the M74 as your out in the hills...

I have the 3 units that have been ordered packed and will be posting out tomorrow morning...

I only have 1 unit remaining now until I build some more, but that depends on any remaining demand.

HarryM1BYT
26th February 2011, 17:20
I/we had a go at installing Mark's amp kit this afternoon, mixed in with several other tasks and basically ran out of time before arriving at a definate conclusion, but it seems much worse....

Here's what happened-

My intention, because it is the best place for an antenna amp, was to fit it as close to the antenna as possible - so thats what I did. I ran a 6m extension from the TMC socket to the original amp position, removed my Y splitter and plugged the original antenna directly into the rear of the radio and tested reception. It was pretty good on both FM and AM, no noisy background to the AM reception, as I have become used to with the Y splitter. Fine so far. I used the 6m extension rather than the 2 x 2m because I happened to have one and as everyone knows joints degrade the signal.

I then wired up MarkUK's amp - hooking the input onto the connection going to the window antenna, connected power from the existing amp to the new one, ground, then carried out some reception tests.

FM seemed OK, but AM was absolutely terrible - completely swamped with noise - much worse than before running on the Y splitter. If anyone remembers I long ago complained about a digital interference type noise being received which was wiping out AM reception - well now that noise is very much worse. Which about as far as I got.

Too be honest, neither of us could work our way through the satnav's menu system, to find the TMC settings to even make a start on checking how good or bad the TMC reception was. I'm using Tony's SD card with the upgraded Igo system. So no feedback yet on the TMC reception.

My conclusion at the moment is that the digital noise is being generated by the TMC unit. It was originally being fed via the Y splitter from the TMC into the radio receiver. With MarkUK's amp in place, the noise is now being fed all the way to the back of the car, through the new amp, then into the original amp - which is boosting that noise to even greater levels than before.

My guess at the moment is that my TMC receiver is either faulty or was not properly installed at the factory.

MARKUK
26th February 2011, 17:34
Harry,

You need to inistall as I did, before coming to any real conclusions...

1st I would try running the mod as I did and as I have shown in the instructions and on the videos, maybe you can just run the cable over the back of the seat until you are
sure that everything is ok..( again like I did )..

Put the normal aerial feed into your TMC feed on the DD, and see what happens to the TMC signal, it should be fine with the "normal" feed as I found it was...

I didn't put the amp so close to the existing aerial amp to ensure that there was no change to the exisiting amp voltage / reception etc..

If you install as I did, you should be fine, depending on what you have now done to your original feed of course..

MARKUK
26th February 2011, 17:50
Guys,

Please install as per my instructions, at least at first..

That's how it works for me and how it worked when I tested on Liams DD also, once you made sure everything works and have the baseline,
maybe then think about changing things around a bit from the original install instructions...

I designed the fix in a certain way and I know it works...you have seen it working in the videos and Liam has seen it 1st hand in my car and in his...

I need to know that what I have provided for you is working before you install in a different way than I did..

HarryM1BYT
26th February 2011, 18:02
Mark - I'm pretty sure my conclusion is correct, but I will try it with your amp at the front just to confirm it. While I am at it, i might as well see what difference it makes disconnecting the the antenna feed at the TMC plug at the back of the radio - I will guarantee that will stop it :D

I seem to have been the ONLY one who's main reception complaint has been the digital rasping noise and that right from the start of the DD install. I had originally surmised that the noise was due to poor internal screening inside the DD and the noise leaking across from the DD's processor system to the reciever or audio side.

MARKUK
26th February 2011, 18:19
Hi Harry,

I hear what you are saying...

It may well be that your DD input for the TMC is the problem, and no matter what you throw at it won't fix it.

You are also using a longer extension than I did, even though there is a join in the middle of mine..that's what was working for me.

Were you getting any TMC before with the splitter ?

But I guess I just want to make sure that what I have supplied to you is working as it should and is not the problem.

It could also be that having a 22db boost so close to the existing OEM Amp is pushing the noise through your normal aerial.

baconbuttyman
26th February 2011, 18:38
Mark, i got my amp today, just letting you know, i am going to try my DD with out it firstly. Hoping Sean's enquiries with the makers has sorted the problem with out the need for the Amp.

MARKUK
26th February 2011, 18:55
Thanks BBMan

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

HarryM1BYT
26th February 2011, 23:00
QUOTE=MARKUK
Hi Harry,

I hear what you are saying...

It may well be that your DD input for the TMC is the problem, and no matter what you throw at it won't fix it.

That is my current thinking.

You are also using a longer extension than I did, even though there is a join in the middle of mine..that's what was working for me.

That should not make any difference. Joints in coax are very lossy, when compared to an extra bit of coax.

Were you getting any TMC before with the splitter ?

I can only be certain the TMC was working, when I initially installed the DD back in around September. I tested it out of curiosity with Sean's supplied long wire and got almost no TMC reception, it showed it locking onto the transmission only very rarely - I then immediatly made a Y splitter, which got the TMC working, locking onto the signal most of the time.

Never having used TMC before, I was not able to even guess how good or bad the TMC's reception actually was. I then noticed the digitally noisy reception on the radio (my first test of its reception) and made (what now seems) the wrong assumption that, the noise was internal to the DD. Never once did I carry out any tests with the TMC not connected to the antenna.

I don't really use the 75 much in winter and I haven't had much of a chance to become familiar enough with Tony's upgrade skin to the original version of IGo to find my way back into the TMC settings yet.

But I guess I just want to make sure that what I have supplied to you is working as it should and is not the problem.

I am as sure as I can be that your amp IS doing what it is supposed to. Tomorrow I'll try swapping the two antenna feeds over at the back of the DD, to compare reception on the radio one with the other.

It could also be that having a 22db boost so close to the existing OEM Amp is pushing the noise through your normal aerial.

No, I don't think so. It is standard practise to always fit antenna receiving amps as close as possible to the antenna to ensure the best possible signal. Strongest signal in the coax, less chance of interference being picked up along the way. That is why Rover (and all other manufacturers) installed their amp in the D piller.

It really has to be a TMC issue, I just need to confirm it now. I'll let you know as soon as I have carried out my tests tomorrow.

As a reference point for reception on AM, I have been using Radio Aire on 828KHz from home. With the splitter it was just barely audible in the background with a lot of noise. Today, original Rover antenna connected and before connecting the TMC, I received it loud and clear for the first time, but tuning between stations there was still some of the digital noise. Once both antenna feeds were connected to radio and TMC - Aire was completely buried under a very loud digital rasping noise. If you don't know what I mean by digital noise, try putting a small portable AM radio next to your laptop and turning it on.

Robson Rover Repair
27th February 2011, 07:14
Package arrive yesterday and looking forward to fitting it today.

Having watched the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptyCKwinFw

Im confused about something before I start, the rest of the instructions are easy enough.

Right at the start theres a clear cable from the co-ax into the black box on the D pillar.

What is it exactly? How can I recreate this?

Is it simply part of the black aerial that has been cut back?

Im not the best with wiring being colour blind so I like to know exactly what im doing in advance! :confused:

HarryM1BYT
27th February 2011, 08:09
That clear wire is the inner core of the coax and the box, is the original Rover fit antenna amplifier. Basically you are supposed to cut off the socket (female end) at the end of one of the coax extensions. Carefully nick the black outer all the way around its diameter with a Stanley knife about 3 or 4" along from where you cut the plug end off - without going so deep as to nick the copper.

If you then bend the coax back and fourth at the nick, the black outer will split and you should then be able to slide it off. If you then fold the inner core over at the same place you originally nicked it and using a very small flat bladed driver, you should be able to tease a gap in the copper screening braid, enough to insert the driver to hook the inner core out from inside the braiding.

Just twist the braiding then bolt it under the earth bolt as in MarkUK's photo. Bare an 1" or so of the end of the inner core so you can hook into the terminal of white/red (one of the two) wires, which enter the original amp from the rear screen antenna - passenger side D pillar.

MARKUK
27th February 2011, 09:18
Harry has that spot on cheers ! ...

HarryM1BYT
27th February 2011, 16:25
Harry has that spot on cheers ! ...

Hi Mark,

Rather an odd one...

I pulled the DD out of the dash to start checking it out and the digital noise wiping Radio Aire 828 disappeared completely, just as I was pulling the DD out of the dash. 828 loud and clear - and I was not able to get the noise back!

I then went into the Satnav menu to see if I could find the TMC data - zilch. I went into the settings menu and it wasn't detecting the hardware. I changed it to Royaltek, but I could not remember the port and baud settings. Can anyone help on this last point - the correct settings for the TMC hardware please?

[EDIT] Royaltek, port 2, baud 9600 - anyone able to confirm those are the correct settings?

On those settings it says no hardware detected, if they are correct.

MARKUK
27th February 2011, 16:41
Hi Harry, interesting one that !...

I wonder if you have had a loose cable in the loom that has now moved into the right position...

I am not at home at the mo but will be able to tell you the settings later if someone else doesnt do it before me...

It should be in your sys file on the SD card, and you should have it on auto detect in Igo settings menu...

tony_fry
27th February 2011, 16:44
Hi Mark,

Rather an odd one...

I pulled the DD out of the dash to start checking it out and the digital noise wiping Radio Aire 828 disappeared completely, just as I was pulling the DD out of the dash. 828 loud and clear - and I was not able to get the noise back!

I then went into the Satnav menu to see if I could find the TMC data - zilch. I went into the settings menu and it wasn't detecting the hardware. I changed it to Royaltek, but I could not remember the port and baud settings. Can anyone help on this last point - the correct settings for the TMC hardware please?

The setting on your sys.txt should include:-

[gps]
set_messages=0
port=2
baud=9600

[tmc]
port="COM,3"
baud=38400
;reinit_on_hardware_lost=1
;port_read_timeout=8000

MARKUK
27th February 2011, 16:46
Nice one Tony

Not near my PC at mo !

HarryM1BYT
27th February 2011, 19:05
[Interim Update]

As already said, the digital noise disappeared between the DD being mounted in the dash and my pulling it out to start my tests. No amount of cable or plug wagging about would reproduce it with it once out of the dash. I have suffered the noise to some extent since installing the DD, slightly on FM (breaking through on the weaker stations), but worst on AM. It then became much more of a problem when I installed Mark's antenna system yesterday - very loud right across the AM band.

Anyway, back to the update...

I fed the TMC settings in and it then found Classic FM's TMC data. I'm not sure if the green bar in the settings is intended to indicate signal strength, but it was all the way across to the right.

I checked FM that was marginally better, then AM. As darkness was falling there was plenty of static about and my usual test station - 828KHz Radio Aire was being almost wiped out by the static. So the AM will need to be retested tomorrow before darkness falls, but it did seem quite promising - receiving natural atmospheric noises rather than digital noises wiping everything out.

For my final test I tried switching the two antennas over. The original Rover one was noticeably a bit better than Mark's antenna system on both the FM and AM bands.

MARKUK
27th February 2011, 19:19
[Interim Update]

For my final test I tried switching the two antennas over. The original Rover one was noticeably a bit better than Mark's antenna system on both the FM and AM bands.

Harry,

Not sure if I understand this right...

My Amp / Mod solution is designed for the TMC and not intended to piggy back the radio amp as most of us have a decent signal on the radio using the
normal OEM feed, and I think that would give a worse signal as it would be swamping the unit with too much signal..

If you had a green bar all the way to the right on the TMC screen, that indicates a good signal !..

You will always find that using the OEM aerial feed on the TMC will give the best results too, the issue was getting both working at a decent level which
I am hoping you have found using the mod...

On a seperate note, on the way back from Derby this afternoon, it took a good 30 mins to get a decent TMC channel up, which was strange as it usually
only takes a minute or so, when I did get TMC most of it was London and the SE traffic...

Maybe there wasn't much going on up Leeds way, but as I reached Sheffield, some more local stuff popped up..

Think it may depend on what's been sent out from the channels in the end...

HarryM1BYT
27th February 2011, 19:58
QUOTE=MARKUK;681659

Not sure if I understand this right...

My Amp / Mod solution is designed for the TMC and not intended to piggy back the radio amp as most of us have a decent signal on the radio using the
normal OEM feed, and I think that would give a worse signal as it would be swamping the unit with too much signal..

I have the new amp installed along side the origianal Rover amp, so I just have the coax tails behind the DD unit. I swapped the two over, just as a means to compare reception and prove to myself that your system was working as well as expected - simply a matter of being thorough in my tests.

If you had a green bar all the way to the right on the TMC screen, that indicates a good signal !..

So it is a signal meter - thanks.

You will always find that using the OEM aerial feed on the TMC will give the best results too, the issue was getting both working at a decent level which
I am hoping you have found using the mod...

It would seem I have. :}

Jakg
27th February 2011, 20:14
Just a quick point - Scotchlocks aren't brilliant connection (crimps are better).

You can get ISO blocks on eBay to make it "plug & play" - but i'd add a little to the cost & complexity of building. But requires no cutting of electrics!

Not a good idea to use a switched live - the electrics don't like anything high-current on this (although I doubt it'll be an issue - but you can get "pulse" issues leading to phantom wipers), and you will get excess power draw (when the radio is off). Much better idea to use the remote (or antenna connection) and a relay on the HU - this will only be on when the unit is on & playing music (the ant connector is only on when playing the radio) - but you'll need a relay as it's only ~0.2A and will blow if you draw too much.

(never had a Chinese Double DIN unit so no idea if it has the antenna connection - most Kenwoods do. Does have the remote though for sure).

MARKUK
27th February 2011, 20:53
Thanks for that Harry..

I tried the same as you did as part of my initial testing to see what worked best which is how I finally came up with the entire mod..

Glad to see that you have it working now and that you have also lost the digital interference that you were experiencing !!!

RichB
27th February 2011, 21:28
normal OEM feed, and I think that would give a worse signal as it would be swamping the unit with too much signal...

Hi Mark,

I received my amp last week but haven't had a chance to install and test it yet :(

Just regarding your comment above, I'm repeating what I've said before but I think the reception with the standard set up is far from ideal.

I'm currently running the stock ariel through the stock amp in the back pillar straight into the radio of the DD, nothing connected to the TMC input. This is the same as your set up without the extra amplifier for the TMC input. Although I can pick up a lot of FM signals, when on the move the reception is poor at best. There are some areas up the M1 when travelling up North where I have to switch to bluetooth music form my phone becuse there are no stations with a good signal. I had the same last week when travelling east to west (Berks to Bristol) along the M4.

I've never had such poor reception in any of my previous head units in this car or any other car.

I've bought your amp with the intention of trying to get the readio reception better because I cannot live with the radio as it is. It's my last resort before I get in touch with Sean to see if my unit can be checked over for faults. By the sounds of it mine is the only one so bad :mad:.

Cheers,
Rich

MARKUK
27th February 2011, 22:11
Rich,

Have you confirmed that the amp in your rear pillar is getting power ?.

That certainly needs to be checked if your reception from you OEM aerial is so bad.

You could try the amp I sent on your aerial just for the radio and see if that improves things, but if it's an issue with you DD unit then nothing you put in signal wise won't help.

You could also try the TMC mod but instead of using that feed for the TMC, use it for the radio and use the OEM aerial for the TMC and compare the results.

Shame your not closer my way, would be interesting to take a look at the DD.

RichB
27th February 2011, 22:32
Yes, the amp in the rear pillar is getting power. I had to connect it (puple/yellow stripe wire i think) behind the DD. I can tell the difference with it powered, it would pick up nothing without it powered.

Yeah, I intend to try a few different variants once I get your amp installed, I'll keep you posted. I don't think the TMC is too critical for reception, when using the splitter my TMC was working great even though radio reception was terrible.

Cheers,
Rich

MARKUK
27th February 2011, 22:35
It may be that you need to try a few things step by step and see what happens..

Let me know how you get on

HarryM1BYT
28th February 2011, 19:12
I promised an update on reception.....

I have still not been able to reproduce the digital interfence, in order to try to track it down, but the DD is still hanging out of the dash.

Reception of Aire in daylight was better, but then I compared it to my VW's stock radio (the first time I've thought to compare one with the other) - when compared with that, the DD's reception was not at all good on AM.

Having compared AM, I thought I might as well compare FM reception. I used the weakest national station as received from home in my drive - Radio 1 FM. On the DD it was too weak to auto switch to stereo and there was some mush behind it. On the VW receiver it was in stereo and quite a bit less noisy.

So my overall impression is that DD radio reception is definately better than before, but still not what I would hope for. Now that I know the green line in the TMC settings is a signal meter - I can say the TMC reception is a lot better than before. Keep in mind my comparisons have been made with the car static in my drive, it hasn't been used for a couple of weeks now.

Having said that, reception was never that good anyway in the 75 - so it can still be blamed on the OEM antenna system not being adequate. Yes I have checked the 12v feed going to both amps.

MARKUK
28th February 2011, 20:02
Hi Harry,

So what you are saying is that with the aerial mod, things ARE better than before applying the mod, you still think however that the DD has issues with reception ?..

I would tend to agree with your findings on the radio, although mine is much better than before I applied the mod to my car, even as much as being able to get Real Radio as far down as close to Derby yesterday and nearer to Mancester than before.

On a separate note, I should be sending Seans refunds to those who have paid ( with a couple of execeptions who I will contact ) hopefully this week, I am just awaiting Seans payment to clear before I can send them out.

HarryM1BYT
28th February 2011, 20:11
Hi Harry,

So what you are saying is that with the aerial mod, things ARE better than before applying the mod, you still think however that the DD has issues with reception ?..

I would tend to agree with your findings on the radio, although mine is much better than before I applied the mod to my car, even as much as being able to get Real Radio as far down as close to Derby yesterday and nearer to Mancester than before..

Either DD, or Rover antenna, possibly a mix of both, but I'm leaning towards the Rover antenna being the problem - simply because my original Hi-Line reception was not as good as I would have expected.

Definately reception is better.

I have not seen a car radio with one fitted for many years, for the installer to trim it for best match, but - Anyone know if there is an antenna trimmer built into the DD?

MARKUK
28th February 2011, 20:26
I would agree Harry, possibly a mix of the two...

Don't know if there is a trimmer in the unit...it would be good if there was !

MARKUK
1st March 2011, 20:22
Guys,

Anyone else got any feedback on the Aerial Mods ?...

Either post on here or send me a mail...

Graham ( madone ) how's yours going as you hadn't tested on the move the last time you posted..

Cheers

I am just awaiting a mail back from Sean and then I will be sending out the £17.50 refunds as promised !

Teflon
2nd March 2011, 07:15
Hi Mark,

haven't got around to installing mine yet - it's been too cold and wet to spend time pulling the car to bits. :(

I did, however, experiment with the unit by using it as a straight signal booster into the splitter to see what effect it would have.

The good: a noticable improvement in reception, more stations picked up, the radio was louder than ever!
The bad: a noticable level of background noise accross all stations as the amp boosted the "noise" in the signal (just as you said it would!)

Given that the amp behaved as you had already said when used as a straight signal booster into the radio, I am equally certain that it will also do the trick when installed following your instructions.

Don't know if this helps or not :shrug:. I wil install it properly over the next week or so, and report back.

Cheers,

Cliff

Radioguy
2nd March 2011, 11:45
HI Guys , I am away for the day and will be back tonight.. Ill get it done

Sean

Guys,

Anyone else got any feedback on the Aerial Mods ?...

Either post on here or send me a mail...

Graham ( madone ) how's yours going as you hadn't tested on the move the last time you posted..

Cheers

I am just awaiting a mail back from Sean and then I will be sending out the £17.50 refunds as promised !

MARKUK
2nd March 2011, 12:33
Hi Mark,

haven't got around to installing mine yet - it's been too cold and wet to spend time pulling the car to bits. :(

I did, however, experiment with the unit by using it as a straight signal booster into the splitter to see what effect it would have.

The good: a noticable improvement in reception, more stations picked up, the radio was louder than ever!
The bad: a noticable level of background noise accross all stations as the amp boosted the "noise" in the signal (just as you said it would!)
Given that the amp behaved as you had already said when used as a straight signal booster into the radio, I am equally certain that it will also do the trick when installed following your instructions.

Don't know if this helps or not :shrug:. I wil install it properly over the next week or so, and report back.

Cheers,

Cliff

Thanks Cliff,

I just want to make sure that everyone is happy with what has been supplied and that the solution is working for them as it did for me.

And if there were any issues I could help out..

madone
2nd March 2011, 12:54
Hi Mark

I have not had chance to do a lengthy test since amp installed so can only feedback on driving around locally, 25 mile radius.

FM
When parked up at home its obviously a good spot. Move 10 yds and signal weakens :shrug: It appears since adding the amp the signal strength has deteriorated because whilst driving around town it sometimes looses its signal. I only really use Real and Capital stations however all BBC stations appear to be ok when I have tried them. I drove 25 miles yesterday and Real radio hardly missed a beat, the AF working fine switching between 101.8 and 100.7.

TMC
Like FM really but obviously with a weaker signal. Around town it always picks up Classic radio but it must have a strong signal to lock on. On the radio Classic can be ok but TMC wont fix on to the signal. Yesterday when I arrived at Stockton TMC was locked on to Capital with 33 pages of info. Came back out to the car an hour later to drive home a different route and it would not lock on to any station until approaching Durham and Classic came on.

MW
This is now intermiittent with a lot of interference. On testing, I found the new inner cable connection to original amp is the problem however, this is compounded now by my HRW being on, when turned off it gets better. I have looked at a lot at posts about MW and HRW so still ongoing. With HRW on and a lot of interference if I remove the new coax from amp it goes off :shrug: Like I say work in progress.

Overall it is not perfect but I can live with it. Just need to sort out the HRW and MW now. After reading a lot of past posts I wonder if the new coax is picking up interference from HRW or just a bad earth.

Graham

MARKUK
2nd March 2011, 17:51
Hi Mark

I have not had chance to do a lengthy test since amp installed so can only feedback on driving around locally, 25 mile radius.

FM
When parked up at home its obviously a good spot. Move 10 yds and signal weakens :shrug: It appears since adding the amp the signal strength has deteriorated because whilst driving around town it sometimes looses its signal. I only really use Real and Capital stations however all BBC stations appear to be ok when I have tried them. I drove 25 miles yesterday and Real radio hardly missed a beat, the AF working fine switching between 101.8 and 100.7.

TMC
Like FM really but obviously with a weaker signal. Around town it always picks up Classic radio but it must have a strong signal to lock on. On the radio Classic can be ok but TMC wont fix on to the signal. Yesterday when I arrived at Stockton TMC was locked on to Capital with 33 pages of info. Came back out to the car an hour later to drive home a different route and it would not lock on to any station until approaching Durham and Classic came on.

MW
This is now intermiittent with a lot of interference. On testing, I found the new inner cable connection to original amp is the problem however, this is compounded now by my HRW being on, when turned off it gets better. I have looked at a lot at posts about MW and HRW so still ongoing. With HRW on and a lot of interference if I remove the new coax from amp it goes off :shrug: Like I say work in progress.

Overall it is not perfect but I can live with it. Just need to sort out the HRW and MW now. After reading a lot of past posts I wonder if the new coax is picking up interference from HRW or just a bad earth.

Graham

Thanks for that Graham,

I too have recently noticed it taking a little longer to pick up TMC along the M62 and down in Derby at the weekend, but fine around town and most places really, my Radio however is also 99% spot on !..

I guess that as I said before it's 98 / 99 % there but I don't think it's ever going to be 100% dues to the limitations on the DD itself.

There may also be slight differences in each of our cars which makes a catch all solution more difficult..

At least with the aerial mod you get 99% on both rather than 50/60 %...

Hopefully what you have now is much better than what you had before ?..

madone
2nd March 2011, 20:55
Most certainly I am satisfied with the mod Mark and thanks again for all your efforts :bowdown::bowdown:
Just need to sort out the MW interference now. With the HRW on I do however get a weaker FM signal so its not restricted to MW. Having read some old posts will have to check connections at both ends. Looks like the unit will have to come out again on Friday to check :mad: just when I had put it all back together properly with a nice snug fit at the front :D:D

MARKUK
2nd March 2011, 21:03
Watch those fuses Graham !

MARKUK
3rd March 2011, 17:57
Hi Guys,

I have just sent out the refunds from Sean to the members that who were eligible as promised.

Cheers

kevineds
3rd March 2011, 18:10
Cheers Mark :)

baconbuttyman
3rd March 2011, 18:33
HI Guys , I am away for the day and will be back tonight.. Ill get it done

Sean

weyhey, 1000 posts, soon be 1001 Sean ;)

Radioguy
3rd March 2011, 23:01
weyhey, 1000 posts, soon be 1001 Sean ;)

What Do I Win ?

madone
4th March 2011, 04:40
Thanks to Mark and Sean for the cash :bowdown:

baconbuttyman
4th March 2011, 07:25
What Do I Win ?

nothing but I know where you can get a nice new stereo for your car.:D

HarryM1BYT
5th March 2011, 08:41
I've now had a chance to take the car on the road a couple of times and check radio reception out and its terrible. Both FM and AM unlistenable due to poor reception. I still have the DD loose in the dash and a couple of times I heard the digital noise break through briefly but quite loudly on FM.

Looking back over the time I've had the DD, my radio reception reports seem to have been varying quite a lot, so I suppose I ought to be looking for poor connections somewhere in the system.

The one good point has been that the TMC reception seems to be completely resolved and I've been able to confirm the digital noise is dfinately not coming from the TMC.

e668ecp
5th March 2011, 09:49
I've now had a chance to take the car on the road a couple of times and check radio reception out and its terrible. Both FM and AM unlistenable due to poor reception. I still have the DD loose in the dash and a couple of times I heard the digital noise break through briefly but quite loudly on FM.

Looking back over the time I've had the DD, my radio reception reports seem to have been varying quite a lot, so I suppose I ought to be looking for poor connections somewhere in the system.

The one good point has been that the TMC reception seems to be completely resolved and I've been able to confirm the digital noise is dfinately not coming from the TMC.

This is the reason why I won't be buying one :(

MARKUK
5th March 2011, 10:11

Has the Radio reception been better or worse since removing the splitter ?

Could possibly be a dry joint in there somewhere, probably at the aerial input or on the tuner circuit

SO what you are saying here is that the TMC Mod that I supplied is working well ? ( for my peace of mind anyway ! )

I am trying to source a Radio Frequency / Strength meter from somewhere then I will be able to test..

If you want to pop down to Barnsley, we can always try your DD in my car and vice versa to rule out any issues with your aerial etc...

Send me a PM or email me if you want to arrange that..

madone
5th March 2011, 11:33
Well guys my radio reception problems are fixed completely :D:D:D:D

My DD is now enroute to Eamonn in Ireland to be fixed (£31+ for postage :eek:) so I have refitted my Symphony. No interference on FM or AM all stations coming over loud and clear.

Mmmmmmmmm makes me think :confused:

rizel23
5th March 2011, 11:35
This is the reason why I won't be buying one :(

It is also what has put me off :( I think if a cheap £50 head unit can produce excellent/good radio quality i can see no reason why a unit of £300 can not.

CDTi
5th March 2011, 11:47
My DD is now enroute to Eamonn in Ireland to be fixed (£31+ for postage :eek:) so I have refitted my Symphony. Uh-oh.

I thought all Sean's customers knew about www.parcel2go.co.uk courier website. £15 plus VAT to Ireland.

madone
5th March 2011, 11:57
Uh-oh.

I thought all Sean's customers knew about www.parcel2go.co.uk courier website. £15 plus VAT to Ireland.

I do now :mad: however I had to do it today due to being at work on Monday and wanted you to get it asap Eamonn hopefully for a swift return ;)

This DD is costing me a lot of money and time now :(

HarryM1BYT
5th March 2011, 12:05
I am trying to source a Radio Frequency / Strength meter from somewhere then I will be able to test..

If you want to pop down to Barnsley, we can always try your DD in my car and vice versa to rule out any issues with your aerial etc...

Send me a PM or email me if you want to arrange that..

I've had another go at this (sorry, but wish I could find the time to get stuck in and devote enough time to get it sorted in one).

Reception is brilliant using the DD combined with the Rover antenna and amp - if I just simply unplug the TMC's antenna input at the rear of the DD.

Just to remind you I said a while back that - after disconnecting the Y splitter and plugging the Rover antenna feed straight into the radio - there was a dramatic improvement in reception. Plug the antenna back into the TMC and the radio reception once again becomes very variable.

I have a field strength meter here and lots of signal generators, but what you need to be able to do is tap into the AGC line of the DD unit to get a reading from the DD itself. Having said that, I have now pretty much conviced myself that the DD is fine and the Rover antenna system is fine. That the problem has to be some oddity to do with the TMC or the new amp.

CDTi
5th March 2011, 12:06
...hopefully for a swift return ;)I'll do my best ;).

Ajd1
5th March 2011, 12:09
That would have been handy to know about when I sent mine, I went with interparcel which was slightly dearer.

I paid for the extra insurance cover though which put it up another £5

Would you say its worth paying for the extra insurance or not?

Andy

HarryM1BYT
5th March 2011, 12:15
...and after sitting down, having a coffee and going back out to have another check on it - plugging the TMC antenna into the TMC socket is just making a very marginal difference to the radio reception.

Dare I mention earth loops?

CDTi
5th March 2011, 12:36
ThaWould you say its worth paying for the extra insurance or not?I have used Parcel2go and Interparcel many, many times over the past few years and I have never paid the insurance or needed to make a claim afterwards.

My next package will probably arrive flattened now :D.

HarryM1BYT
5th March 2011, 12:44
...and after sitting down, having a coffee and going back out to have another check on it - plugging the TMC antenna into the TMC socket is just making a very marginal difference to the radio reception.

Dare I mention earth loops?

I now have perfect reception with the TMC antenna connected. I tried parting the TMC's outer screen connection to eliminate earth loops as being a potential problem, it made no difference to radio reception but the TMC's reception then became nil. So I have reconnected the coax screen.

I now (for the moment) have perfect reception on both radio and on TMC.

[EDIT]

I've found in the past that the antenna plug adaptor in the wheel well (ex Hi-Line system), produced a bit of noise if the connection was waggled about, so I've cut the end off and remade it off with a standard male plug. On testing reception again, I'm back to the situation where disconnecting the TMC antenna again produces an improvement in radio reception. THIS IS ALL VERY ODD!

MARKUK
5th March 2011, 12:57
Harry,

It sounds like you have one of those annoying intermittent problems !..:shrug:

Move something, it works, move it again and it doesn't...:mad:

But very difficult to replicate :confused:

MARKUK
5th March 2011, 13:00

My DD is now enroute to Eamonn in Ireland to be fixed (£31+ for postage :eek:) so I have refitted my Symphony. No interference on FM or AM all stations coming over loud and clear.

Kinda points on one direction doesn't it.....

Maybe the Sympony was "tuned" to the aerials, Harry mentioned something similar in another post...

If we were able to turn a little potentiometer in the DD to zone it in, maybe that would solve the problem..

Dunno...

Confused !!!

HarryM1BYT
5th March 2011, 13:47
Harry,

It sounds like you have one of those annoying intermittent problems !..:shrug:

Move something, it works, move it again and it doesn't...:mad:

But very difficult to replicate :confused:

I don't actually need to move anything, just look at it from the wrong direction :D

MARKUK
5th March 2011, 14:42
I don't actually need to move anything, just look at it from the wrong direction :D

Sounds a bit like the wife WAY HEY !! :D

Prometheus
5th March 2011, 15:55
Honestly i dunno what to do anymore.

I love the DD the UI the options it has. But the radio reception is pants. TMC just not hooked up last week i ordered a splitter to see if i could get tmc working but after reading all these posts i still don't know what to expect.

The time i've spent on fixing it thinking about it just have made me jaded about the whole deal.

Regards Prom

MARKUK
5th March 2011, 16:34
Prom, have you thought about one of my TMC mod kits ?

If your DD is from Sean, he may well fund 50% of the cost as per other members

Have a look at the posts and videos and if you want one let me know

I currently have 4 in stock

Cheers

HarryM1BYT
5th March 2011, 16:51
Honestly i dunno what to do anymore.

I love the DD the UI the options it has. But the radio reception is pants. TMC just not hooked up last week i ordered a splitter to see if i could get tmc working but after reading all these posts i still don't know what to expect.

The time i've spent on fixing it thinking about it just have made me jaded about the whole deal.

Regards Prom

You're suggesting your reception is poor before using a Y splitter?

Have you checked there is 12v at the built in Rover antenna amp? Is it the later single window antenna input, or the earlier type dual antenna?

Prometheus
6th March 2011, 17:37
Yes power is going into my antenna amp. Because when i disconect the 12v feed it i get 0 reception. When i pace back my old unit reception is better and stations stay tuned. Now i get massive shift in about 1 mile of driving on radio stations. For instance one radio station is 102.10 after driving one or 2 miles to work it's at 102.50 with the massive interferance of retuning. On the way back from work vice versa.

HarryM1BYT
6th March 2011, 18:49
Yes power is going into my antenna amp. Because when i disconect the 12v feed it i get 0 reception. When i pace back my old unit reception is better and stations stay tuned. Now i get massive shift in about 1 mile of driving on radio stations. For instance one radio station is 102.10 after driving one or 2 miles to work it's at 102.50 with the massive interferance of retuning. On the way back from work vice versa.

Is it the later single antenna in the rear window or the earlier type with twin radio antennas in the rear window?

Prometheus
7th March 2011, 12:12
How can i tell the difference between the single and the double antenna setup?

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 15:39
How can i tell the difference between the single and the double antenna setup?

If you look at the original Rover antenna amp, hidden behind the passenger side D pillar, the dual antenna amp will have a total of four wires separate wires (or connections) going from the window to the amp. Two wires per antenna, four wires = 2x antennas.

The later one has a single antenna so just two wires to the amp from the window.

The earlier twin antenna system was the better system, but it required feedback from the radio to the amp, to tell the amp to switch to which ever antenna was receiving best signal at that particular time/place. The DD lacks provision for the feedback, so I'm not quite sure how it might respond.

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 16:06
...and another update on my own reception problems....

Over the weekend, I did away with the little antenna adaptor (supplied with the Sean DD), to adapt my original Hi-Line antenna feed in the wheel well. I cut the existing none compatable plug off the coax and replaced it with a standard car radio type male plug, so it was able to be plugged straight into female of the extension leading to the back of the DD.

I now have very stable reception on both AM and FM. I said stable, because my reception before had been extremely variable - sometimes improved by unplugging the TMC's antenna, sometimes not, sometimes reception was brilliant, other times not.

Actual reception is now as good as I would expect on AM, the digital interference type noise is completely gone. Unplugging the the TMC antenna feed makes absolutely no difference at all - WONDERFUL :}

I wish I could say the same about FM. That is now as already said quite stable, but also quite poor - if I unplug the TMC's antenna feed at the rear of the DD, the poor FM reception becomes GOOD stable FM reception.

[I would appreciate it if everyone else using Mark's amp would try tuning to a weak FM station and see how much (if any) improvement there is to be had, by simply unplugging the TMC's antenna at the back of the DD.]

I'm now wondering if Mark's tacking his new TMC amp onto the existing window antenna and in the process detuning it, might be the cause of my poor FM reception.

So bascally if you swapped a Hi-Line system for a DD, don't use the supplied adaptor - cut the plug off and fit a standard antenna plug, you will save your self a lot of head scratching.

Getting there slowly....

MARKUK
7th March 2011, 16:47
Harry,

Just seen the post...

My Radio reception is just the same with or without the mod that I have detailed and tha the TMC amp is for..( and what has been put on my YouTube channel )

The only difference I get is if I use a splitter on my OEM feed from the rear pillar..yes I get TMC but my Radio reception suffers.

Again, my results are somewhat subjective to my car and my DD, however, when I tested the new "test" DD down at Liams some time ago, the results were the same in my car with that unit installed.

Go figure !

RichB
7th March 2011, 17:14
I eventually got round to fitting my new amp yesterday. I was already running the stock aerial/amp to the radio and nothing plugged into the TMC and my radio reception was generally poor. If I was stationary in a strong signal area reception was OK, but on the move it was poor, frequently unable to retune to stronger signals as I drove across the country.

With the addition of the coax and amp for the TMC input, I must say the radio reception is considerably worse. I drove around the North East for 30-40 miles today and the reception on the local and national FM channels was very poor. And just when it seemed to have locked on to a half decent frequency, the RDS would retune it into a very poor channel that you couldn't listen to.

And if that was not bad enough, the TMC never picked up a single message during that drive.

I'm going to recheck everything I did tomorrow in daylight but I've tried just about everything I can with this unit.

Cheers,
Rich

MARKUK
7th March 2011, 17:24
It sounds to me that I have had the best result from this mod then anyone else !

Rich,

It looks like your aerial signal was very poor to start with and the addition of the TMC mod has taken some of the signal
that you were already having issues with..

I take it you have checked for power to the OEM Amp on the rear pillar ?..

PM me with your number and I will give you a call if you like...

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 17:41
Hi Mark,

Now fully resolved....:cool:

I have removed the connection where you suggest tapping onto the existing antenna at the window to amp and my reception of both AM and FM is absolutely spot on. It now makes no difference whether the TMC is plugged in at the rear of the DD or not.

Which just left me with the problem of finding something suitable to work as an antenna for the TMC. I have, I believe found a solution to that too...

Remember that useless bit of a wire antenna which was originally supplied by Sean to run the TMC from? Via Mark's amp that works absolutely spendidly. I just plugged it into the input of Marks amp and then ran it up from the D pillar, along the roof lining, along the pasenger side, then a little way along the front windscreen tucked above the edge of the roof lining. TMC reception on Classic is 100%, but it also picks up Capitol at 100%.

I don't have a clue where Capitol is transmitted from, but where ever it is from - this is the very first time my TMC has picked it up since I fitted the DD.

So we now have a very Happy Harry :D

Out of curiosity, I also tried tapping separately onto both wires between the rear screen antenna and original amp. Tapping onto one, makes more of a difference to my radio reception than the other - but both do degrade reception to some extent on the weaker FM stations.

I'm struggling to believe that loading the original amp 12v feed, with your additional amp should overload the feed - it should only be an extra few milliamps at most. My ignition switched feed originally supplied my amp, and switched the GPS + radio module + TV module + HK amp - all of which (except HK amp) I removed, so there should be plenty of spare capacity. Perhaps you had some other sort of interaction between the two amps?

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 17:47
With the addition of the coax and amp for the TMC input, I must say the radio reception is considerably worse. I drove around the North East for 30-40 miles today and the reception on the local and national FM channels was very poor. And just when it seemed to have locked on to a half decent frequency, the RDS would retune it into a very poor channel that you couldn't listen to.

Cheers,
Rich

If you converted over from the Hi-Line system, suggest you check the antenna plug adaptor in the wheel well.

RichB
7th March 2011, 17:53
Harry, I tried the 'bit of wire' supplied for the TMC yesterday through Mark's amp for the TMC and it couldn't pick up any stations. But that was through one of the extension cables, could that have degraded the signal enough? I also found it very difficult to get the male connector of the 'wire' to fit into the female socket of the extension cable, is that normal?

My car wasn't highline. But it does have that male plug adapter fitted to the aerial to make it connect to the DD (or Kenwood unit before that). But I've never had issues with the kenwood and I checked it was a nice tight connection yesterday.

Mark, PM on it's way.

Cheers,
Rich

e668ecp
7th March 2011, 17:56
Capital (formerly Galaxy) is transmitted countrywide but locally its from Tingley Leeds

MARKUK
7th March 2011, 18:01
Hi Harry,

I had wanted to try that wire that was sent out but couldn't find it !

It looks like some people will find the mod I did on mine works as it does for me, and some others won't which is a tad weird !!

I power my amp at the head unit end as shown in the videos etc, I know you powered yours at the other end so maybe that does make the difference I was concerned about initially.

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 18:13
Quote RichB

Harry, I tried the 'bit of wire' supplied for the TMC yesterday through Mark's amp for the TMC and it couldn't pick up any stations. But that was through one of the extension cables, could that have degraded the signal enough? I also found it very difficult to get the male connector of the 'wire' to fit into the female socket of the extension cable, is that normal?

That length of wire antenna is useless unless (as I found this evening), it feeds into the TMC via Mark's amp. I plugged the wire antenna directly into Mark's amp (I have mine mounted at the D pillar), the amp then fed to the front via a 6m extension. Antenna amps should always be mounted as close as possible to the antenna to ensure the strongest possible signal is fed down the coax. If your amp is at the front of the car, could you perhaps try plugging the long wire antenna directly into the amp at the front?

My car wasn't highline. But it does have that male plug adapter fitted to the aerial to make it connect to the DD (or Kenwood unit before that). But I've never had issues with the kenwood and I checked it was a nice tight connection yesterday.

If the plug which fitted into your Kenwood, had the coax coming in from the side of the plug (a little like a banjo) and you then had to use the very short adaptor supplied with the DD, then I would guess you probably have the very same problem as I found over the weekend - the adaptor is a dud. Cut the plug off and fit a standard one which directly fits into the DD's socket.

Has anyone got a photo of this banjo shaped plug and the Sean supplied adaptor please?

The standard plugs just fit on without any need to solder, I just 'borrowed' one from my home made Y splitter.

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 18:27
Hi Harry,

I had wanted to try that wire that was sent out but couldn't find it !

Mark,

The wire is just a piece of wire with a suitable plug on the end of it, just as good would be a length wire wire connected to the inner core of your coax. Try a random length (say around 6' - 8') attached to the end of the wire you presently have hooked onto the original amp connections.

[EDIT] Its seems as if the extension before the amp, might be lossy enough to loose a lot of the signal if the 'Mark amp' is installed at the front. Try plugging the long wire straight into the amps input socket.

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 18:31

Dare I ask - did you need to use that little antenna adaptor thingummy supplied with the DD, to adapt the end of your coax lead to the DD's antenna socket?

MARKUK
7th March 2011, 18:44
Mark,

The wire is just a piece of wire with a suitable plug on the end of it, just as good would be a length wire wire connected to the inner core of your coax. Try a random length (say around 6' - 8') attached to the end of the wire you presently have hooked onto the original amp connections.

[EDIT] Its seems as if the extension before the amp, might be lossy enough to loose a lot of the signal if the 'Mark amp' is installed at the front. Try plugging the long wire straight into the amps input socket.

Harry,

I did try just using around 8' of inner core but that didn't do much..

In all my testing / trying, what I came up with and have supplied to people was the best option..

And it works, at least for me !!

Also, I am using the adaptor plug that came with the DD from Sean without any issues

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 18:55
Harry,

Also, I am using the adaptor plug that came with the DD from Sean without any issues

Well there are people still suggesting they do still have poor radio reception, but what I didn't realise was that these little adaptors seem to be necessary for more than just the Hi-line. I thought I was one of the few who needed to use it because of my Hi-line system.

I just wish I had realised months ago that this was the cause of my own variable reception.

RichB
7th March 2011, 19:20
Quote RichB

That length of wire antenna is useless unless (as I found this evening), it feeds into the TMC via Mark's amp. I plugged the wire antenna directly into Mark's amp (I have mine mounted at the D pillar), the amp then fed to the front via a 6m extension. Antenna amps should always be mounted as close as possible to the antenna to ensure the strongest possible signal is fed down the coax. If your amp is at the front of the car, could you perhaps try plugging the long wire antenna directly into the amp at the front?

My amp is in the front as per Mark's instructions. I will try plugging the long wire directly into that tomorrow, I left the connection to the first extension easily accesible behind the glovebox.

If the plug which fitted into your Kenwood, had the coax coming in from the side of the plug (a little like a banjo) and you then had to use the very short adaptor supplied with the DD, then I would guess you probably have the very same problem as I found over the weekend - the adaptor is a dud. Cut the plug off and fit a standard one which directly fits into the DD's socket.

Has anyone got a photo of this banjo shaped plug and the Sean supplied adaptor please?

The standard plugs just fit on without any need to solder, I just 'borrowed' one from my home made Y splitter.

You are talking about the ISO to DIN adapter.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Aerial-Adaptor-Radio-ISO/dp/B001EGP3RY?cf0354E72A=2DBD8A965!MTA1MDAxNjEzOmNvcn ByYWRpdXNzc286s33yWrhbetzOYxJr08NJzA==

I can never remember which is which, I think the aerial connector in the car is ISO and needs to be converter to DIN and I also think all highline and lowline aeriels in our Rovers are the same ISO connector, but I could be wrong. Mine has always be a good connection but it wouldn't hurt to replace with a proper male DIN connector. Trip to Maplins tomorrow...

Rich

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 19:42
Capital (formerly Galaxy) is transmitted countrywide but locally its from Tingley Leeds

Which is also where Aire 828 AM is transmitted from and it is one of the normally difficult stations to receive over here. So possibly Capital was also too weak for my TMC to receive before todays antenna adjustments.

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 20:07
You are talking about the ISO to DIN adapter.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Aerial-Adaptor-Radio-ISO/dp/B001EGP3RY?cf0354E72A=2DBD8A965!MTA1MDAxNjEzOmNvcn ByYWRpdXNzc286s33yWrhbetzOYxJr08NJzA==

I can never remember which is which, I think the aerial connector in the car is ISO and needs to be converter to DIN and I also think all highline and lowline aeriels in our Rovers are the same ISO connector, but I could be wrong. Mine has always be a good connection but it wouldn't hurt to replace with a proper male DIN connector. Trip to Maplins tomorrow...

Rich

That is the adaptor which has caused me such grief. Curiosity got the better of me and I got my test gear out to check it out, when plugged into the banjo type socket - absolutely no fault found. As already suggested mine had just the slightest of crackles on it when I waggled it, so I assumed it was fine several times, despite being slightly loose.

I've just rechecked my reception on the DD and it is absolutely brilliant on both FM and AM, I've even found the Capitol FM channel my TMC suddenly started to receive for the first time this evening - loud and clear.

It has led me a merry dance.

RichB
7th March 2011, 20:22
I'm tempted to try cutting the ISO 'banjo' off tomorow and fitting a proper male DIN connector. However, there's not much length of aerial wire behind my head unit. I can just about get the aerial plugged in with the DD just about into the hole. If I cut of an inch of aerial, I'm going to struggle to get it connected with the DD out of the dash.

I will definately try the long wire for TMC direct into the amp though. Did you find yours plugged in easily? As I mentioned before, I found it very difficult to plug the long wire into the extension cable.

Cheers,
Rich

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 20:37
I'm tempted to try cutting the ISO 'banjo' off tomorow and fitting a proper male DIN connector. However, there's not much length of aerial wire behind my head unit. I can just about get the aerial plugged in with the DD just about into the hole. If I cut of an inch of aerial, I'm going to struggle to get it connected with the DD out of the dash.

I will definately try the long wire for TMC direct into the amp though. Did you find yours plugged in easily? As I mentioned before, I found it very difficult to plug the long wire into the extension cable.

Cheers,
Rich

Buy a 12" long extension to give you a bit more room.

I did find it a bit difficult to get the long wire's plug in, due to it being a single core rather than a coax, its pin is not quite so well held in the centre.

madone
7th March 2011, 20:45
Dare I ask - did you need to use that little antenna adaptor thingummy supplied with the DD, to adapt the end of your coax lead to the DD's antenna socket?

Hi Harry

No I did not have to use it. It is in the plastic bag along with the useless splitter, in line amp and various other bits of no use bits I have gained over the past few months.

Graham

RichB
7th March 2011, 20:59
Buy a 12" long extension to give you a bit more room.

Harry,

Doesn't adding another joint in the aeriel introduce losses to the signal quality?

Rich

HarryM1BYT
7th March 2011, 21:25
Harry,

Doesn't adding another joint in the aeriel introduce losses to the signal quality?

Rich

Yes, but there is no real way around it - at least the joint is in the coax after the amp where it is at a high level. Mine has a joint in the wheel well and as already bragged, the reception is now superb.

Simondi
7th March 2011, 22:16
Well I've fitted the kit I got from Mark.
Before I had zero TMC, Zero Am and poor FM.
Now I have TMC, good FM and some AM.
I reckon both FM & AM could be better but what I now have is acceptable

Thanks Mark

MARKUK
7th March 2011, 22:45
Sounds good Simon, like I have said in earlier posts I think I have had the best results from the mod, but as long as it's better than it was before sounds like it's working for you :D

tony_fry
8th March 2011, 08:33
I have used something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CELSUS-AERIAL-ADAPTOR-ISO-DIN-SIGNAL-SEPERATION-/130487126689?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_C abling_ET&hash=item1e61a38aa1

I had radio reciption problems with my pervious unit (not from Sean, but from China) it is a much tighter fit than the one supplied in the kit from Sean (and others).

RichB
8th March 2011, 08:56
I have used something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CELSUS-AERIAL-ADAPTOR-ISO-DIN-SIGNAL-SEPERATION-/130487126689?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_C abling_ET&hash=item1e61a38aa1

I had radio reciption problems with my pervious unit (not from Sean, but from China) it is a much tighter fit than the one supplied in the kit from Sean (and others).

Argh, don't show me something else to buy Tony! I've already spent enough on splitters, filters and amps!

Actually, I think I already bought one of those. Is that the same as those PC5-52 things for Audi/VW? That was also ISO to DIN coverter with filter. I removed it after finding it made no difference at all.

Rich

Prometheus
8th March 2011, 14:55
If you look at the original Rover antenna amp, hidden behind the passenger side D pillar, the dual antenna amp will have a total of four wires separate wires (or connections) going from the window to the amp. Two wires per antenna, four wires = 2x antennas.

The later one has a single antenna so just two wires to the amp from the window.

The earlier twin antenna system was the better system, but it required feedback from the radio to the amp, to tell the amp to switch to which ever antenna was receiving best signal at that particular time/place. The DD lacks provision for the feedback, so I'm not quite sure how it might respond.

I have the single setup 2 wires 1 antenna

HarryM1BYT
8th March 2011, 15:19
I have the single setup 2 wires 1 antenna

Thanks for confirming that - because I'm unsure of the earlier type and how it might respond to the DD. Your antenna, which is the same as mine, should be fine with the DD.

I can only suggest checking there is definately 12v plus at the antenna amp and (in view of it being the cause of most of my troubles) if you are using Seans ISO to DIN adaptor, to cut the ISO off and fit a DIN plug instead.

If my DD and the original Rover antenna + amp are typical of how it should work, I can't emphasise enough how well they work together - once the problems are resolved. The TMC reception being equally good now is a bonus.

HarryM1BYT
8th March 2011, 15:35
There do seem to be still people struggling and becoming wound up by the DD's apparent poor reception.

How about putting one of your early antenna amps in a little box with a 9v pp3 battery, a short bit of wire to act as the antenna input and a couple of metres of coax with a plug on the end?

That test kit can then be loaned out via the post, to anyone struggling with reception, to at least prove to themselves that the DD and/or the TMC is working properly.

MARKUK
8th March 2011, 15:40
There do seem to be still people struggling and becoming wound up by the DD's apparent poor reception.

How about putting one of your early antenna amps in a little box with a 9v pp3 battery, a short bit of wire to act as the antenna input and a couple of metres of coax with a plug on the end?

That test kit can then be loaned out via the post, to anyone struggling with reception, to at least prove to themselves that the DD and/or the TMC is working properly.

Which early amp are you talking about Harry ?..the 6db one ?...

And are you suggesting that there is the box with a PP3 and then an input and output like the amps sent out recently ?...

HarryM1BYT
8th March 2011, 16:23
Which early amp are you talking about Harry ?..the 6db one ?...

And are you suggesting that there is the box with a PP3 and then an input and output like the amps sent out recently ?...

I don't know, it was just an idea for testing, see what works best.

Pre-amps are not generally that fussy about having the correct voltage and it will likely draw less than a mA, therefore worth seeing if it will work OK on a PP3. Just add a length of wire as an antenna and if it works out OK - it should provide a quick simple means for people to prove their DD and TMC are doing what they should do.

MARKUK
8th March 2011, 16:54
Sounds like a good idea on paper, will have to see what we can do

Robson Rover Repair
14th March 2011, 18:59
Thats mine installed!

Only seem to get classic FM on the sat nav TMC.

Any other suggestions of what stations to try or a list of them?

Also, I plumbed in my original Ariel into the unit, and the TMC lead into the lead that flaps around behind the unit (if that makes sense). Did I do that right?

Noticing the radio signal is still only average.

baconbuttyman
14th March 2011, 19:03
Thats mine installed!

Only seem to get classic FM on the sat nav TMC.

Any other suggestions of what stations to try or a list of them?

Also, I plumbed in my original Ariel into the unit, and the TMC lead into the lead that flaps around behind the unit (if that makes sense). Did I do that right?

Noticing the radio signal is still only average.

take the TMC arial out and see if that improves radio, my reception is very good but when a lead is in the TMC the reception degrades some what

HarryM1BYT
14th March 2011, 19:21
take the TMC arial out and see if that improves radio, my reception is very good but when a lead is in the TMC the reception degrades some what

Ah! That was exactly the same symptom I had - you almost certainly have some problem with the coax feeding your radio.

Robson Rover Repair
14th March 2011, 19:36

Give it a go tomorrow. Think I will maybe order one of them VW boosters for the main aerial in April also.

MARKUK
14th March 2011, 21:01
Strange that when you have TMC aerial in the Radio is worse...

Mines fine and dandy !!

baconbuttyman
14th March 2011, 21:04
Strange that when you have TMC aerial in the Radio is worse...

Mines fine and dandy !!

yes, i am reporting this on my other thread to keep it in one place

Robson Rover Repair
14th March 2011, 21:06
My kenwood unit was excellent originally and my misses Sony unit also it good for our area, but the DD seems to lack something, especially in stereo.

VAG booster will be my final effort on this I think.

GilesH
28th March 2011, 19:40
Hi All,

I've just spent the weekend fitting my new DD and absolutely love it!!

(Thanks Sean, fantastic bit of kit, and thanks Tony - You sd card has more than enough software toys on it to keep me going for a while.... by the way, is that your dog in the pictures on the card?!?)

I find that I am a little confused by the whole TMC reception issue though. Is there supposed to be a second antena that plugs in or something? I did not see an obvious extra port on the back of the DD unit, and my ZT-T only had the basic kenwood headunit so I suspect I might be missing a cable?!?

I had to scrabble around in the murky depths behind the climate control to find the cable that feeds the pink "your in reverse" feed - do I need to look again for a separate TMC aerial?

<errrr - then I just found this (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81131) I thought that the bendy cable comming out the back of the DD was something to do with the Ipod connection!?!>

HarryM1BYT
29th March 2011, 15:49
I find that I am a little confused by the whole TMC reception issue though. Is there supposed to be a second antena that plugs in or something? I did not see an obvious extra port on the back of the DD unit, and my ZT-T only had the basic kenwood headunit so I suspect I might be missing a cable?!?

I had to scrabble around in the murky depths behind the climate control to find the cable that feeds the pink "your in reverse" feed - do I need to look again for a separate TMC aerial?

<errrr - then I just found this (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81131) I thought that the bendy cable comming out the back of the DD was something to do with the Ipod connection!?!>

It is not clear whether you have solved this or not?

There are two radio type antenna sockets or the back of the DD - one recessed into the case (for the radio) and a second one on a flexible coax which is for the TMC.

You can of course use the one antenna you have got, the one installed by Rover to feed either one, but obviously only that one will then work. What most /all have done is use that to feed the radio, then sorted out an alternative antenna to feed the TMC.

The popular way to do it is using MarkUK's extra antenna amp, tapping off the existing Rover antenna in the back window. I installed Mark's amp and found there was some slight degradation to radio reception, by tapping off the existing antenna - so my alternative solution was to simply connect a length of wire to act as antenna to feed into Mark's amp. I just connected a random length of insulated wire around 6 to 8 feet long and hid that out of sight up in the roof lining. In my case, I installed the amp close to the Rover amp in the D pillar and fed it 12v off the existing amp. IF your DD came with a long wire intended for the TMC, then that will work just as well instead of my long wire antenna.

I suggest installing things temporary, just to see what works best for you rather than installing things permanently to find it could be improved.

As per my sig - I now have both radio and TMC reception working very well indeed.

MARKUK
29th March 2011, 15:59
I now have no more amps in stock..

If more people want them then I will make some more, but ideally it would be a few at a time rather than one at a time as that just impacts of postage costs..

tony_fry
29th March 2011, 16:25
I now have no more amps in stock..

If more people want them then I will make some more, but ideally it would be a few at a time rather than one at a time as that just impacts of postage costs..

If anyone wants one, I have the unit from Mark, I never needed to install it on my unit, I just had it, in case when I done an install for other members it was needed.

GilesH
29th March 2011, 21:55
I have not had chance to pull the unit out again to check the connections / sockets on the back yet - I had convinced myself that the bendy cable was to do with the ipod interface and then never thought any more of it....

For the time being I have ordered an aerial splitter to get things working and then I will investigate the possibility of a booster if it turns out I need one. I am quite fortunate that I seem to get really good radio reception off of the built in aerial so I am hopeful that is all I will need......

...fingers crossed!!! :)

tony_fry
30th March 2011, 09:16
I have not had chance to pull the unit out again to check the connections / sockets on the back yet - I had convinced myself that the bendy cable was to do with the ipod interface and then never thought any more of it....

For the time being I have ordered an aerial splitter to get things working and then I will investigate the possibility of a booster if it turns out I need one. I am quite fortunate that I seem to get really good radio reception off of the built in aerial so I am hopeful that is all I will need......

...fingers crossed!!! :)

As I said Giles,

If you need Marks AMP mod, I have one.

GilesH
31st March 2011, 07:22
Hmmmm - well the splitter is fitted and I cannot hear any interferance on the radio, but the TMC still scans channels and finds no "events" It does sit for a while on each station though so it must be trying to do something.....

@ Tony: How much would you want for the amp? I would be inclined to take it off your hands "just in case"... and it is payday on friday!! :}

tony_fry
31st March 2011, 07:29
Hmmmm - well the splitter is fitted and I cannot hear any interferance on the radio, but the TMC still scans channels and finds no "events" It does sit for a while on each station though so it must be trying to do something.....

@ Tony: How much would you want for the amp? I would be inclined to take it off your hands "just in case"... and it is payday on friday!! :}

Hi Giles

It cost me £35 from Mark including postage, I was keeping it for any install I do for members, but I do not have any planned (yet).

philb37
31st March 2011, 07:38
I am looking for someone to do mine Tony?

tony_fry
31st March 2011, 12:03
I am looking for someone to do mine Tony?

Phil

I have tried to phone you and have sent you a text message.

philb37
31st March 2011, 14:50
hehe we keep missing each other....

philb37
31st March 2011, 18:14
Next Saturday is ok Tony!

RichB
1st April 2011, 09:01
Ah! That was exactly the same symptom I had - you almost certainly have some problem with the coax feeding your radio.

I'm still having radio reception issues. I have removed the stock ISO aerial connection now and replaced it with a DIN connector. It made no difference for my radio reception. I've done everything I think I can do to get my reception right and it is still not right. I think I need to find someone in my area with one of these units to compare receptions. It makes no difference if TMC is plugged in or not.

I'm now running TMC as per Mark's instructions. Although it works eventually, it sometimes takes upto 50 miles of driving before it picks up any traffic events. When I ran it with the stock aerial dedicated to the TMC input, it would pick events up quickly.

I've also tried the original supplied 'thin wire' TMC aerial into Mark's amp and could not pick up anything with that.

So neither radio reception or TMC reception are working to an acceptable level on mine, I'm wondering if I've got an issue with my unit?

Rich

HarryM1BYT
1st April 2011, 19:43
I'm still having radio reception issues. I have removed the stock ISO aerial connection now and replaced it with a DIN connector. It made no difference for my radio reception. I've done everything I think I can do to get my reception right and it is still not right. I think I need to find someone in my area with one of these units to compare receptions. It makes no difference if TMC is plugged in or not.

I'm now running TMC as per Mark's instructions. Although it works eventually, it sometimes takes upto 50 miles of driving before it picks up any traffic events. When I ran it with the stock aerial dedicated to the TMC input, it would pick events up quickly.

I've also tried the original supplied 'thin wire' TMC aerial into Mark's amp and could not pick up anything with that.

So neither radio reception or TMC reception are working to an acceptable level on mine, I'm wondering if I've got an issue with my unit?

Rich

All pretty much similar to the problems I myself had and it led me on a merry dance, because it is so very difficult to diagnose....

I would suggest check you do have full voltage going into both of your amps. Which version of the original Rover radio antenna installation do you have? There was an early type with four antenna wires going into it from the back window and a later type with just two wires. Mine is the latter type. Check around the amp wiring and the window connections for signs of any corrosion. Some members have reported also degraded reception if there rear window heater is turned on - it comes on automatically when it falls below 10C.

I have suggested that MarkUK might like to make up a test kit - so members can borrow it to compare their reception. Just one of his amps with an antenna wire ready connected, so it can be plugged straight into the radio - a known properly working portable antenna system to allow a quick stationary reception test.

HarryM1BYT
1st April 2011, 20:06

I think it sits on each channel for a while, it grabs the RDS data, then waits to see if it is sending any valid TMC data. Mine (now) gets a good full strength signal from two TMC stations, but I turned it on last night and in the five minutes I was watching it, it didn't latch onto anything. It seemed to only be scanning the lower FM frequencies for stations with TMC data, which was rather curious - not sure, but I think all the TMC transmitting stations are +100Mhz, where it didn't seem to be looking. Actually out on the road it has worked great.

I was rather surprised last weekend when it indicated a hold up just ahead of me. I could see nothing at all, then suddenly around the next bend of the DC there had been a minor accident - young lad had come off his scooter and by the looks of it only minutes before. The TMC beat the ambulance and police to the scene.

MARKUK
1st April 2011, 21:05
Strange one this, I posted a reply earlier and it's not there now !

Anyway, try resetting the DD using the rest hole by the cd slot, this is what I advised in a previous post to do once you have installed the TMC amp mod.

I sometimes have issues picking up decent TMC data over Manchester way, can't explain it but once I get close to Junction 24 on the M62 it appears again.

Plenty of channels are found, but non appear to have any TMC data...

rizel23
4th April 2011, 10:39
dont want to butt in on this thread, but has anyone heard from Sean recently? I ordered a replacement sat nav board about 2 weeks back, sent a message a week ago but heard nothing since? thanks

tony_fry
4th April 2011, 10:43
dont want to butt in on this thread, but has anyone heard from Sean recently? I ordered a replacement sat nav board about 2 weeks back, sent a message a week ago but heard nothing since? thanks

Hi Sam

Sean, has been very busy with his family for the last week, I know he has not been around very much for the last week, but rest assured he will be back this week.

I suggest you send him a email, he is getting round to answering them.

rizel23
4th April 2011, 14:17
Hi Sam

Sean, has been very busy with his family for the last week, I know he has not been around very much for the last week, but rest assured he will be back this week.

I suggest you send him a email, he is getting round to answering them.

Cheers Tony, i'll leave it a few days and re-PM him then.

Robson Rover Repair
26th April 2011, 22:21
I wish to point out that Primo 1.2 works FANTASTICALLY on this head unit, and has already saved me much hassle traveling in NI with bomb alerts and general traffic.

HarryM1BYT
26th April 2011, 22:35
I wish to point out that Primo 1.2 works FANTASTICALLY on this head unit, and has already saved me much hassle traveling in NI with bomb alerts and general traffic.

Mine suffered a bit of sillyness last weekend, which I have come across before on other satnavs - it directed me off a motorway, down to a roundabout, then back onto the same motorway again. So annoying, why do they do they all seem to do this?

Robson Rover Repair
26th April 2011, 22:36
Im actually able to get traffic updates from Classic FM and Radio Ulster live, as well as route updates. It has literally changed my driving forever.

HarryM1BYT
27th April 2011, 15:44
Im actually able to get traffic updates from Classic FM and Radio Ulster live, as well as route updates. It has literally changed my driving forever.

If you have not used one before, they are adictive. I've been using one for best part of seven years and they make getting around so easy. No maps or A to Z's needed - just type in the address, sit back, relax and simply follow the directions. Despite usally knowing my route, I almost always set the satnav - then I can divert off my usual route and maybe cut a corner off without worrying about getting lost. It also saves a lot of arguments, in that SWMBO is a terrible map reader - she used to constantly get us lost.

RichB
28th April 2011, 07:10
Mine suffered a bit of sillyness last weekend, which I have come across before on other satnavs - it directed me off a motorway, down to a roundabout, then back onto the same motorway again. So annoying, why do they do they all seem to do this?

Mines done this several times, last time was at the Luton airport exit off the M1.

I got a new problem yesterday, I had an error message when primo powered up which was so small I could not read (whilst driving). I cleared it and now it has reset to default which is so annoying since I'd been fiddling with it for months. I now have some bloke's voice instead for the woman giving me the directions and when I try and change that I get an error message saying file not found with a tiny cancel button which just closes down primo.:shrug:

Very frustrating.

Rich

Teflon
28th April 2011, 10:19
...... I had an error message when primo powered up which was so small I could not read (whilst driving). I cleared it and now it has reset to default ......

Rich
Interesting. The other day, I had just reversed the car a few feet on the drive and took the key out befor Primo had fully loaded. When I next started her up, I had a very small error message which stated that Primo had not completed its startup routine the last time, so did I want to revert to default settings. Options were (from memory) "OK" or "No". I selected "No", and Primo loaded as per usual. The message was very small, and I was tempted just to hit "OK" to get rid of it. Could this be what caused your problem?

Cliff

RichB
29th April 2011, 08:03
Yeah that was probably it. But I was on the move and must have just clicked OK. Oh well, more playing about with it.

Rich

dentricrio
8th May 2011, 10:01
Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed on the newer units or is Marks mod still needed to get TMC working 100%?

Thanks, Jonny.

MARKUK
8th May 2011, 10:05
Hi Johnny,

Not sure about everybody, but when I installed Micks ( VVC-Geeza ) new DD unit from Sean it was certainly better with the mod than without...

Try it with a splitter and see how you get on is the best bet..

Mrmanbag
17th May 2011, 18:37
Hi mark,
I've just fitted one of Seans headunits and have the same problem with reception, I have e-mailed Sean but am awaiting a reply. Are there any more TMC amps available?
I will wait for a response from Sean, as, from what I understand, he is subsidising the amps, before placing an order (that is if they are still available).
Sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake regarding your amp!

Stuart

VVC-Geeza
17th May 2011, 19:24
Hi Johnny,

Not sure about everybody, but when I installed Micks ( VVC-Geeza ) new DD unit from Sean it was certainly better with the mod than without...

I can confirm what Mark has said,his amp is a brilliant bit of kit.It's well worth the small price for the improvement it makes.

Hi mark,
I've just fitted one of Seans headunits and have the same problem with reception, I have e-mailed Sean but am awaiting a reply. Are there any more TMC amps available?
I will wait for a response from Sean, as, from what I understand, he is subsidising the amps, before placing an order (that is if they are still available).

Stuart

Go for it regardless Stuart.If Mark is out of stock i believe Tony Fry has a new one for sale.:)

MARKUK
17th May 2011, 20:03
Hi mark,

Stuart

Hiya,

I dont have any in stock at the moment, but could probably build one for you

Tony may have one going spare, otherwise I can build one.

If anyone else wants one let me know as its better to do them in one go

Use the Mail Me link below

picky747
18th May 2011, 16:34
For anyone having reception troubles on the mark one unit without TMC I may have come across something that may help.I don't know if it will work on the mark two with TMC as I don't know if the setup is the same.What you need to do is go to the main setup page on the unit and select SYSTEM and then OTHER.Enter the password which on mine is 126 so I suspect it's the same on everyones and press enter.This takes you to the factory setting menu where you will see two settings,FM SMET and AM SMET.The settings range from 0 to 255 and was set to 135 on mine.This appears to be used to set the sensitivity of the tuner ,0 being the most sensitive.As an experiment I set the AM to 255 and saved it,when pressing the scan button on the radio it only picked up one station in the 600 region.On resetting it to 0 in the menu it picked up multiple channels that it couldn't receive before.So now I have both the FM and AM settings set to 0 and it works just fine.I hope this is some help to anyone with reception problems.

VVC-Geeza
18th May 2011, 16:55
Very interesting,i would certainly like more clarity on AM and a better choice of stations.Will have to see if it works on the MK2.Thanks.

HarryM1BYT
18th May 2011, 17:26
Very interesting,i would certainly like more clarity on AM and a better choice of stations.Will have to see if it works on the MK2.Thanks.

It does ;)

Except it has RDS + FM + AM settings. (111, 135, 111)

I feel a need to experiment a little :D

VVC-Geeza
18th May 2011, 17:43
It does ;)

Except it has RDS + FM + AM settings. (111, 135, 111)

I feel a need to experiment a little :D

What good news :D

I did wonder if there was a way to fine tune things :cool:

HarryM1BYT
18th May 2011, 18:01
OK, it does what it says on the tin, but a little warning.....

It seems to be an RF Gain control, which turns up the amplification of the incoming signals - ALL of the incoming signals, the ones you want and the rest that you don't want. Turn the setting up too much and if you happen to be close by an high power transmitter, but listening to another weak station - then the weak stations reception will be swamped by the powerful one close by. So a bit of a trade off really.

VVC-Geeza
20th May 2011, 16:45
For anyone having reception troubles on the mark one unit without TMC I may have come across something that may help.I don't know if it will work on the mark two with TMC as I don't know if the setup is the same.What you need to do is go to the main setup page on the unit and select SYSTEM and then OTHER.Enter the password which on mine is 126 so I suspect it's the same on everyones and press enter.This takes you to the factory setting menu where you will see two settings,FM SMET and AM SMET.The settings range from 0 to 255 and was set to 135 on mine.This appears to be used to set the sensitivity of the tuner ,0 being the most sensitive.As an experiment I set the AM to 255 and saved it,when pressing the scan button on the radio it only picked up one station in the 600 region.On resetting it to 0 in the menu it picked up multiple channels that it couldn't receive before.So now I have both the FM and AM settings set to 0 and it works just fine.I hope this is some help to anyone with reception problems.

I've had a good play with these settings on my MK2, and adjusting them has definitely been of benefit to reception in my case.I found that if i took the FM and RDS settings right back to O it actually degraded the signal but if i backed it off to 50 it noticeably improved it.I have set AM at O and this has seen a huge improvement on all stations.As per above,i have also been able to pick up several more staions on both bands with the new settings.

Thanks for the heads up.:)

HarryM1BYT
20th May 2011, 17:17
Thanks for the heads up.:)

..and a thanks from me too.

I wonder what SMET stands for?

Signal M? E? T?

What ever, mine is a little bit more sensitive on all bands, probably too sensitive at 0, 0, 0 on FM, but AM was OK. It was still hunting to retune for an alternative frequency for R4 as I approached Wetherby last night, as it has done everytime since I resolved the reception issues.

Last week I realised it doesn't seem to store pretuned frequencies on FM so much as store the fact that it is set for (for instance) R4 and the last good frequency it found it on.

tony_fry
22nd May 2011, 17:03
Tony Fry has a new one for sale.:)

Sorry the one I had, has already been sold to another member.

MARKUK
22nd May 2011, 17:36
I have two members who are wanting a mod kit, if anyone else wants one, check out the posts and videos and if you want one send me a mail via the link below..

Cheers