PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp update

shrimper 1
8th February 2011, 19:56
I have tried both methods of access for diagnostic posted on my last engine temp thread and both work although I have found T Cuts method easyer as I am right handed. I have run the temp display to and from work the last two days, Results as follows, Its a 9 mile trip, Mon/Morn outside temp 5oC, Engine temp after 9 miles 72oC, Return trip outside temp 8oC, Engine temp 78oC,Tue/Morn outside temp 1oC, Engine temp 68oC, Return trip outside temp 11oC, engine temp 82oC, This seems a little low to me. Dose anybody know at what mileage the engine shoud be at full temp, What is the full temp range, And what they would say my problem with temp may be caused by. Looking foward to the replies from those who know the car better than me.

Regards John.

Thomas
8th February 2011, 20:10
Moved to technical help forum for better coverage :}

T-Cut
8th February 2011, 20:16
The default thermostat is supposed to have an nominal opening temperature of 88C. The OBD readout is the engine head temperature, so I'd say your stat is pooped. It's so common with diesels, I'd predict that 90% of all diesels in the world are running below 80C (OK maybe not in Bahrain). If you want to get temp up and improve mpg as well, either renew the stat (big job/questionable longevity) or consider joining the inline set.

TC

wuzerk
9th February 2011, 10:04
I have tried both methods of access for diagnostic posted on my last engine temp thread and both work although I have found T Cuts method easyer as I am right handed. I have run the temp display to and from work the last two days, Results as follows, Its a 9 mile trip, Mon/Morn outside temp 5oC, Engine temp after 9 miles 72oC, Return trip outside temp 8oC, Engine temp 78oC,Tue/Morn outside temp 1oC, Engine temp 68oC, Return trip outside temp 11oC, engine temp 82oC, This seems a little low to me. Dose anybody know at what mileage the engine shoud be at full temp, What is the full temp range, And what they would say my problem with temp may be caused by. Looking foward to the replies from those who know the car better than me.

Regards John.

You should put a decimal point in your outside temperature readings
80C should read 8.0C unless you live in a volcano.
Your readings are typical of a diesel which has a thermostat which is opening too early. All too common I am afraid.

HarryM1BYT
9th February 2011, 19:48
For what it costs to buy and fit the bare 'stat just pushed into the top hose and the time it takes, I would suggest trying that as at least a cold weather solution. I would though keep an eye on the OBD tempersature as the weather warms up - the results are not yet in on whether it is OK to leave the stat in place during the warmer weather.

Your other option to to think of paying £>100 for a new OEM stat to be fitted, or fitting one yourself - supposedly not an easy task. The OEM stat costs around £40.

shrimper 1
10th February 2011, 20:59
Thanks for the info lads, I will be back for advice on the inline verses normal thermostat at a later date once I am sure it is thermostat failure.

Regards John.