PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Clutch

AdmiralVonSchneider
9th February 2011, 18:06
Hello All,

The clutch on my 2001 CDTi Estate is very much on it's way out but I am reluctant to get rid of her (had her over 4 years and done over 110000 miles in her). She is still on her original clutch at 211000 miles, so it is not bad.

Just how difficult a job is it to replace the clutch? How much should I expect to pay? How much of that is the kit and the rest labour, as I dont know how much the actual clutch itself costs?

Would really appreciate a heads up from some knowledgable types!

Many thanks

Admr. Vn Schneider

someboy0
9th February 2011, 18:09
I had clutch replaced in my (petrol v6) and the dual mass flywheel at a cost of around £1300 that included the master and slave cylinders (not sure if it usually does) that includes labour parts and VAT, hope that helps a little

graham2230
9th February 2011, 18:20
If you look on ebay you'll get a good idea of parts prices but, it is a time consuming job to do. No doubt someone from your area will recommend a garage that will do it for you.

Remember to change the slave cylinder, it is false economy fit the old one back in again.

Graham

fse73549
9th February 2011, 18:29
I had mine done last August clutch, Dual mass and slave £940 took just over a day to complete.

trinity 1
9th February 2011, 19:09
hi,i got a clutch kit including a master and slave cylinder for about £350,from a company called Ecarparts ltd in Sandy,Bedfordshire,01767 682100.i then paid a local garage £150 to fit it,hope this is of some help.
keith

AdmiralVonSchneider
9th February 2011, 19:23
That is not too bad. The difference seems to be the dual mass flywheel cost. How do you know when you have to replace this? Is it strictly necessary? How do you know if it is knackered?

£500 or so I could live with, otherwise it is starting to get too uneconomical which is a shame as I would like to keep her...

andy willi
9th February 2011, 19:33
hi £400 fitted inc parts and labour for a genuine borg &beck 3 part clutch

dont buy of e bay seen so many copyones now and they dont last long

andy

steve 135+
9th February 2011, 19:44
That is not too bad. The difference seems to be the dual mass flywheel cost. How do you know when you have to replace this? Is it strictly necessary? How do you know if it is knackered?

£500 or so I could live with, otherwise it is starting to get too uneconomical which is a shame as I would like to keep her...

Hi think of buying a clutch system complete or parts. check this site out http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/index.php (http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/index.php).

All LUK parts and allot cheaper than some, not going to name the rip off suppliers but after you compare the prices i know where i shall be shopping for clutch parts, you can obtain a complete clutch system, that's everything inc DMF/master/slave cylinders and clutch kit for just over £600 after all this is a common expensive fault, so the rip off garages are charging us between £350 to £600+ just for labour.

Checking the DMF if there no more movement than 25 to 30mm and the face is ok, then you need not change it but this is a chance you will have to take with some garages, some will tell the truth and some will rip you off.

I've been ripped off once by a garage who said they had changed my slave cylinder, my advice is to tell them that you wish for all the parts that have been changed for you to collect after the job is done, have them checked out independently before paying up,steve

AdmiralVonSchneider
9th February 2011, 20:14
I will try a few garages plus the guy I usually use and see what kind of feedback I get.

I really appreciate the responses.

As I said earlier, it would be a shame to get rid of her!

If I dont have to have the DMF done then it sounds like an economical solution. From the comments received so far it sounds like a days labour for a mechanic, would that be reasonable?

COLVERT
9th February 2011, 20:24
AVS. Did you check out the leads I PMd you re.Doing it yourself ?????

Colvert.

andy willi
9th February 2011, 21:18
it takes around 6 hours

andy

COLVERT
12th February 2011, 20:46
it takes around 6 hours

andy
He never came back to read our posts, Andy. :mad::mad::mad: