PDA

View Full Version : Maf sensor, very Interesting read!! One for Big Russ & Rover Ron.

steve 135+
9th February 2011, 19:57
Hi a very interesting read about the Maf sensor, click have a read? and what do you think?? Steve http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/imp...ll-100858.html (http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/important-maf-information-hopefully-useful-all-100858.html)

Matt1960
9th February 2011, 22:29
This Pierburg maf has been talked about on this forum before and on further investigation is not designed for our mapping of the m47 (despite what pierburg quote). Although it may be a good match for the BMW varient.

The correct maf sensor element for our engine is a bosch f00c2g2029, and a bosch f00c2g2032 is a close replacement (apparently runs 4% richer than the 029) which can be bought for about £80 where the correct 029 will cost upward of £150.

But if you have a poor performing maf, then either the peirburg 09 or bosch 032 will be an improvement. And in my opinion the 032 would be much the better one to go for, if you cannot afford the correct 029.

Matt

BigRuss
9th February 2011, 23:47
I've read that thread before, as stated above it's got to be better than a badly out of spec maf but as you can see from the recent T4 thread, it doesn't take a lot for it to throw the airflow readings out of spec.
It's these airflow readings that effect the fuelling.

IIRC the 032 maf is made for the 320d which has different mapping to our cars, I haven't had chance to have a look at how it will effect the figures as yet, my maf is perfect at the moment but if it requires replacement at some point I may just try one to see what the results are.

Russ

steve 135+
10th February 2011, 17:43
This Pierburg maf has been talked about on this forum before and on further investigation is not designed for our mapping of the m47 (despite what pierburg quote). Although it may be a good match for the BMW varient.

The correct maf sensor element for our engine is a bosch f00c2g2029, and a bosch f00c2g2032 is a close replacement (apparently runs 4% richer than the 029) which can be bought for about £80 where the correct 029 will cost upward of £150.

But if you have a poor performing maf, then either the peirburg 09 or bosch 032 will be an improvement. And in my opinion the 032 would be much the better one to go for, if you cannot afford the correct 029.

MattHi Matt thanks for the feedback, i read the post and thought i would post it on here, for your opinions, just to see if there was any truth in it and if there was a cheaper option for us? i have replaced my Maf sensor last year with the bosch 029, Steve

I've read that thread before, as stated above it's got to be better than a badly out of spec maf but as you can see from the recent T4 thread, it doesn't take a lot for it to throw the airflow readings out of spec.
It's these airflow readings that effect the fuelling.

IIRC the 032 maf is made for the 320d which has different mapping to our cars, I haven't had chance to have a look at how it will effect the figures as yet, my maf is perfect at the moment but if it requires replacement at some point I may just try one to see what the results are.

Russ
Hi Russ i would be interested in the outcome, i do know the differences between the M47R & M47D20 engines, Steve

Jules
18th February 2011, 12:00
I'm trialing an 032 here at the moment.
We'll see what happens with MPG too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the data of the actual difference to the 029 MAF?
Beware of a current Ebay trader describing theirs as 029's in their Title.
What you get is an 032..............misleading if you ask me :shrug:

Matt1960
18th February 2011, 16:47
Jules,
The 032 is available as the sensor only and the 029 can only be bought as the whole housing. Yes the advert is completely misleading.
The 032 is used by some vw engines, and it is they that won a law suit to force Bosch to supply the sensor on its own at a reasonable cost.
I wish BMW would do the same with the 029.
However, I have read through some BMW forums and some have quoted the 032 as running 4% richer than the 029 so it is very close.
I had contacted Bosch to get the proper spec, but they would not divulge that information.
And as the sensor element gets an oily build up over time that 4% may well come into perfect spec at some stage.
But your testing will be very interesting.

Matt

Matt

Jules
18th February 2011, 17:14
Cheers Matt
The strange thing is the 032's look brand new but there are screw compression marks around the two holes as though they were fitted to the housing before being removed and sold separately.