PDA

View Full Version : Hood sensor warning.

Driezzie
9th February 2011, 20:15
Hi,

I'm not from the UK so excuse me for my english :d.

I've had this thing before and it's not getting solved. When driving 120 km / h on the highway my dashboard lights up and says my hood is open/ not locked.

When pulling over and watching at the hood you can not see anything, everything is normal. My garage told me that the sensor in the hood could be dirty what gives false warnings.

What sensor do they mean, where can I clean it ?

It's a Rover 75 Sterling Saloon facelift from 2005.

trebor
9th February 2011, 20:19
sometimes when travelling at speed the bonnet lifts up slightly and the sensor activates as it thinks the bonnett is open and the light on the dash comes on

It is a common problem and can be solved in a number of ways, you can adjust the shut of the bonnett or even fix something on top of the sensor grommett so that it closes more fully when the bonnet is closed. Sometimes the sensors get water in and can be dryed out but new sensors are not expensive to replace completely

Lift up your bonnet and look towards the middle and you will see a black rubber grommet which fits over the switch and pushes down as the bonnet closes thats the sensor

Driezzie
9th February 2011, 20:23
thanks for your reply !

aha ok that's what I thought it was.

There is a rubber around it and you can push it in, feels like a pin. How do I clean it ? Can I get it out easily or do you need special material for that ?

trebor
9th February 2011, 20:24
thanks for your reply !

aha ok that's what I thought it was.

There is a rubber around it and you can push it in, feels like a pin. How do I clean it ? Can I get it out easily or do you need special material for that ?

see here

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72559&highlight=bonnet+sensor

Number 6
9th February 2011, 20:28
sometimes when travelling at speed the bonnet lifts up slightly and the sensor activates as it thinks the bonnett is open and the light on the dash comes on

It is a common problem and can be solved in a number of ways, you can adjust the shut of the bonnett or even fix something on top of the sensor grommett so that it closes more fully when the bonnet is closed. Sometimes the sensors get water in and can be dryed out but new sensors are not expensive to replace completely

Lift up your bonnet and look towards the middle and you will see a black rubber grommet which fits over the switch and pushes down as the bonnet closes thats the sensor

As trebor says you can adust the bonnet, when i had the same problem I adusted the two rubber bonnet stops which are located on each side (seen when the bonnet is open) if you screw them down about one turn it should do it.:shrug:

Driezzie
9th February 2011, 20:32
thanks !

aaah now I'm feeling like I am posting on 2 topics :D.

I'm gonna try to screw them down first then but I don't know how you get the rubber of first ? Screwing down is turning towards me or towards the engine ?

Number 6
9th February 2011, 20:55
thanks !

aaah now I'm feeling like I am posting on 2 topics :D.

I'm gonna try to screw them down first then but I don't know how you get the rubber of first ? Screwing down is turning towards me or towards the engine ?

To screw down turn it clockwise
To screw up turn it anti-clockwise

Poppy
9th February 2011, 21:10
Had the same trouble with mine... Got fed up of the light coming on so removed the sensor.:D. End of. lol. Poppy

Number 6
9th February 2011, 21:19
Had the same trouble with mine... Got fed up of the light coming on so removed the sensor.:D. End of. lol. Poppy

MMMMMMM!! so now you dont know if your bonnet is going to "POP" openos is open:shrug:

Poppy
9th February 2011, 21:20
MMMMMMM!! so now you dont know if your bonnet is going to "POP" openos is open:shrug:

LOL. Always make sure it is shut properly...:D Poppy

HarryM1BYT
9th February 2011, 21:46

In my much younger days, I had a car which had a rather unreliable safety catch. One day I must not have clicked the bonnet down properly, the wind caught it and flipped it up and back as I pulled away, bending the bonnet by the hinges. The daft part was, that after tracking down and fitting a replacement s/h bonnet, the same happened a second time again wrecking the bonnet. This time it was in a tunnel and on an awkward bend. Luckily an AA van behind me saw what happened and covered me from behind with his orange lights while I reclosed the bonnet properly.

It is really not a fun thing to have the bonnet open up at speed without warning. So I am grateful for safety devices like the open bonnet warning, I would never disable one. My last three cars have had them.

Poppy
9th February 2011, 21:58
In my much younger days, I had a car which had a rather unreliable safety catch. One day I must not have clicked the bonnet down properly, the wind caught it and flipped it up and back as I pulled away, bending the bonnet by the hinges. The daft part was, that after tracking down and fitting a replacement s/h bonnet, the same happened a second time again wrecking the bonnet. This time it was in a tunnel and on an awkward bend. Luckily an AA van behind me saw what happened and covered me from behind with his orange lights while I reclosed the bonnet properly.

It is really not a fun thing to have the bonnet open up at speed without warning. So I am grateful for safety devices like the open bonnet warning, I would never disable one. My last three cars have had them.

Hiya Harry. Very grateful for your warning..Just looked on ebay...None.... Can i have yours?:shrug::D Poppy

HarryM1BYT
9th February 2011, 22:19
Hiya Harry. Very grateful for your warning..Just looked on ebay...None.... Can i have yours?:shrug::D Poppy

Yes of course....

...When I no longer need it :D

Poppy
9th February 2011, 22:20
Yes of course....

...When I no longer need it :D

Ha ha ha. Okay, i will hold you to that.. lmso. ;):D Poppy

Driezzie
10th February 2011, 11:25
ok I got the rubber off but can't get the sensor out, the grey plastic part doesn't come out. I tried it with a screwdriver but only one side pops out the other side is stuck haaaa.

Cymrudragon
10th February 2011, 14:49
An easier way to adjust the switch travel is to stick a thin piece of material to the underside of the bonnet where the switch touches. Vary the thickness of material to make to switch operate correctly. or

adjust this to see if it makes a difference
curt of tc
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Bonnet_Buffer.jpg

if you have to remove the sensor + alarm button you may have to drill a small hole next to the sensor to get at one side of the clips.....or part remove the slam panel and remove that way

carl
10th February 2011, 14:59
super glue a 2 pence piece on the bottom of the bonnet to puxh the sensor down a bit further - that works - you can use a washer but they cost 3p

Driezzie
10th February 2011, 17:15
Don't get it. Now the rubber is off but can't get the sensor click-system out but the warning is gone now :s. Rubber is not on it so when it rains this can be harmful or ... ?

Driezzie
11th February 2011, 01:32
Great now my alarm went off in the middle of the night after driving in the rain. Guess it has something to do with the fact the rubber is not back on the sensor. To do that i first need to get the sensor out properly i guess pff

Driezzie
12th February 2011, 15:48
can I get the rubber back on the sensor without pulling it out because i can't get the sensor out dued to the clips.