PDA

View Full Version : Pothole damage.?

Poppy
9th February 2011, 22:37
Hiya. A few weeks ago i hit a pothole, drivers wheel... Ever since i have had a clonking noise. I have submitted a claim to the council for the damage along with a quote from a garage. The garage reckon that i need 2 new drop links.? My brother checked today and there seems play in the track rod ends..:shrug:. Should you be able to twist them from side to side... When he twisted the drivers wheel one, it seemed to clonk... Any ideas.? Poppy.

neal.blackmoor
9th February 2011, 22:56
sorry to say but the council will say its wear and running of your car...they are less than £20 quid for the pair and will take 20 min to fit both...so why bother with a garage....i have changed about 6 pairs now on cars. its a simple fix

Poppy
9th February 2011, 23:01
sorry to say but the council will say its wear and running of your car...they are less than £20 quid for the pair and will take 20 min to fit both...so why bother with a garage....i have changed about 6 pairs now on cars. its a simple fix

Hiya. Wear and tear.? I didn't have a problem before i hit this hole.. well, more of a crater...http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af173/poppy75/pothole007.jpg I have submitted my claim with photographic evidence, time and place and the garage report. As for changing it... May be easy for you, not for me i am afraid.:shrug: I think the clue may be in my user name.:D Poppy

SD1too
10th February 2011, 07:00
Hiya. A few weeks ago i hit a pothole ... I have submitted a claim to the council for the damage ...
Good for you. Why should we put up with Council negligence when their Chief Executives pay themselves around £150,000 out of our taxes and fines! :mad:
If you e-mail the Telegraph's Motoring section (www.honestjohn.co.uk) he'll advise you on how to succeed with your claim. His column is always interesting; out every Saturday.

Simon.

neal.blackmoor
10th February 2011, 11:01
lol now i understand....but get your brother to do it for you....its 2 nuts one top one bottom. honestly while he was under there checking. it could have been done..

Poppy
10th February 2011, 12:09
lol now i understand....but get your brother to do it for you....its 2 nuts one top one bottom. honestly while he was under there checking. it could have been done..

Hiya. Yessss, this pothole was 39" in length....20" in width and 7" deep..grrrr. Well, i am certainly going to fight this.. depending on the outcome and if i am successful, i will have to wait and see who they pay the money too..me or the garage.. if it is me, then i shall certainly get my brother to do it for me.:D...the garage have quoted £164.39p eeeeeeek....Poppy

neal.blackmoor
10th February 2011, 12:33
ouch......look on ebay.. look for rover 75 drop links.......£19.99. for 2.....garages do rob you over things so simple...

Poppy
10th February 2011, 12:37
ouch......look on ebay.. look for rover 75 drop links.......£19.99. for 2.....garages do rob you over things so simple...

Hiya. Does seem a bit expensive doesn't it....:shrug:. Okay, i will do that..Really does need doing... By the way, did you read the rest of my post about the track rod ends...? I certainly have a clonk as i go over rough roads. Poppy

neal.blackmoor
10th February 2011, 21:51
yes i did see the rest..they do twist a little thats why there on ball joints just dont move in and out that keeps your tracking right...try the cheap option first im guessing it will solve the problem of the knocking....i know its a pain hearing it all the time even on roads the think are smooth...been there....

Poppy
10th February 2011, 21:58
Good for you. Why should we put up with Council negligence when their Chief Executives pay themselves around £150,000 out of our taxes and fines! :mad:
If you e-mail the Telegraph's Motoring section (www.honestjohn.co.uk (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk)) he'll advise you on how to succeed with your claim. His column is always interesting; out every Saturday.

Simon.

Hiya. Thank you for the words of encouragement... I intend to do just that:D. Also, thanks for the link, i shall look into that. Poppy

Poppy
10th February 2011, 22:00
yes i did see the rest..they do twist a little thats why there on ball joints just dont move in and out that keeps your tracking right...try the cheap option first im guessing it will solve the problem of the knocking....i know its a pain hearing it all the time even on roads the think are smooth...been there....

Hiya. Oh right, so that is normal then. I shall do as you suggest and go for the links first. :D. Thank you for your advice, i really do appreciate it:) Poppy

neal.blackmoor
10th February 2011, 22:07
if you do need any more help with these.. pm me.....

Poppy
10th February 2011, 22:13
if you do need any more help with these.. pm me.....

Hiya Neal. Okay will do, thank you for that. :) Poppy.

nas3a
10th February 2011, 22:17
Hiya. Yessss, this pothole was 39" in length....20" in width and 7" deep..grrrr.

And you didn't see it ? ?

Poppy
10th February 2011, 22:22
Hiya. Yessss, this pothole was 39" in length....20" in width and 7" deep..grrrr.

And you didn't see it ? ?

Not at 6am in the morning, pitch black on a little country lane... No, i didn't. :wss: Poppy

VVC-Geeza
10th February 2011, 22:33
Don't you realize the council have more pressing claims to settle Popps? :D
http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Parents-tried-sue-falling-conker/article-3207552-detail/article.html

Poppy
10th February 2011, 22:45
Don't you realize the council have more pressing claims to settle Popps? :D
http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Parents-tried-sue-falling-conker/article-3207552-detail/article.html

OH MY GOD...Imagine if that had have hit my car..:shrug:..Never realised, i shall cancel my claim forthwith lmso..:getmecoat:;):D:D Poppy

eddiemc05
11th February 2011, 12:11
The size of that hole is shocking and could have cause a serious accident if the conditions were different, eg. Speed etc.. I would ask the garage to give you a qoute for new lower arm + bush, alloy wheel repair, wheel alingment etc, and give it to the council, get as much as u can, its not ur fault it was there, and weather u seen it or not most are just unavoidable! Good luck

VVC-Geeza
11th February 2011, 13:08
Wouldn't fancy dropping into it on a motorcycle :eek:

Poppy
11th February 2011, 15:44
The size of that hole is shocking and could have cause a serious accident if the conditions were different, eg. Speed etc.. I would ask the garage to give you a qoute for new lower arm + bush, alloy wheel repair, wheel alingment etc, and give it to the council, get as much as u can, its not ur fault it was there, and weather u seen it or not most are just unavoidable! Good luck

Hiya. Shocking isn't the word... I could not believe it when i went to look at it in the daylight... The best of it is, it had already been marked with paint dots, so the council were aware of it. Unfortunately, i have already taken it to a garage, they have said i need 2 drop links..? I have a definite clonk from my front wheel when going over rough road now.:mad:. I have already submitted this quote to the council.:shrug::o. Should have asked about laser tracking etc shouldn't i..:o..Poppy

James.uk
11th February 2011, 16:43
I agree that you should be compensated for any costs involved. :}

As for spurious claims being made for profit, I think a long jail sentence would be best.. lol.. :D :D

eddiemc05
11th February 2011, 19:04
Och james, sure il bet 2 drop links wont be the end of it

Click4
12th February 2011, 10:40
its not laser tracking you want.

its a geometry check

laser tracking wont highlight camber and caster problems.

still dont know why people are always recomending laser wheel alignments.. they are a load of **** they check the front toe in toe out and thats about all.. and its checked against the back wheels.. which is a load of good if the back wheels are out of alignment.

Ive had cars in the past.. 2 places said the wheel alignment was fine, had a geometry check and the thrust angle of the car was all wrong because the toe adjustment needed adjusting on the back, once that was done it showed the front toe adjustment to be completely out, I kept getting adverse tyre wear and when they cost £123 per tyre I wasnt pleased.

dont see how drop links will effect toe adjustment anyway, they normally link the suspension strut to the roll bar and thats it.

its the tie rods eigther side which will throw tracking out.. they go between the steering rack and the tie rod end balljoint which bolts onto the hub.

hopefully that will be the end of it, otherwise only other thing which will cause clonking is driveshaft cv joints.

least you dont have 18" alloys, lol hit a pothole hard with them and they just buckle... quite unforgiving. Had to replace 2 on mine so far.

hope you get it fixed ok anyway poppy.

COLVERT
12th February 2011, 18:17
I agree that you should be compensated for any costs involved. :}

As for spurious claims being made for profit, I think a long jail sentence would be best.. lol.. :D :D
Give 'em the money, I say. :D:D
Cost well over 600 quid a week to keep them in prison !! :mad:

Click4
12th February 2011, 21:34
1 problem is, its hard to prove that the drop links were damaged by the pothole... as said previously they are considered a wear and tear item.

and theres nothing to say they werent on their way out and that the pot hole didnt just finish them off.

normally people have more luck with tyres and alloy wheels, because nothing will buckle an alloy wheel other than a pothole.. well unless you slam it into a curb end on... and if you have an impact that hard it can do the tyre in so the 2 go together.. in fact almost every claim ive heard of has been successfull when backed up by evidence.

good luck though anyway, hopefully you will be successfull.

Poppy
12th February 2011, 21:39
1 problem is, its hard to prove that the drop links were damaged by the pothole... as said previously they are considered a wear and tear item.

and theres nothing to say they werent on their way out and that the pot hole didnt just finish them off.

normally people have more luck with tyres and alloy wheels, because nothing will buckle an alloy wheel other than a pothole.. well unless you slam it into a curb end on... and if you have an impact that hard it can do the tyre in so the 2 go together.. in fact almost every claim ive heard of has been successfull when backed up by evidence.

good luck though anyway, hopefully you will be successfull.

Hiya Ronny. Well, i can only go by what the garage has said..Maybe i should have taken it to another one for a second opinion. :shrug:. Wear and tear or not, i now have a clonk from my wheel.. Never had it before i hit that blooming thing. :mad:Poppy

Brush 1
12th February 2011, 21:58
i hope you get more sucsess than i did. i hit a pothole which looked more like a world war 2 tank trap before xmas cost me a new tyre new alloy wheel and tracking. put claim form into council and its every excuse not to pay up. they know in end you,ll give up

Poppy
12th February 2011, 22:21
i hope you get more sucsess than i did. i hit a pothole which looked more like a world war 2 tank trap before xmas cost me a new tyre new alloy wheel and tracking. put claim form into council and its every excuse not to pay up. they know in end you,ll give up

Hiya. Sorry to hear about your mishap... Although i do not intend to let them get away with it.... It has damaged my car and that is the end of it.:mad::) Poppy