PDA

View Full Version : Engine ticking/tapping from Cold - 1.8T

Sussex75
10th February 2011, 09:32
Hi all

Have a quick question you might be able to help me with. Had the R75 for about 8 months now, its a 1.8T and all has been going well but over the last week it has started to develop a metallic sounding tapping/ticking noise when started from cold. Noise increases with rev's and goes away once the engine is up to temperature.

Sticking my head under the bonnet it appears to be coming from the drivers side.

Before I take it to the garage to have it looked at want to get a general opnion, currently I'm thinking it could be a sticking tappet but not sure of how to resolve (oil change ? - last change as Nov, about 3000 K ago), or how serious this is and what else it could lead too ?

One other point to add, over the last month I've had to keep the coolant topped up on a more regular basis (every 200 odd miles). Only a small drop needed to keep it up at the max level, there's no signs of HGF so this is just something I'm keeping an eye of for now and don't think its related ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sussex75
14th February 2011, 12:19
Interestingly over the weekend the ticking stopped. Doesn't appear to be a reason for this (that I can tell !)