PDA

View Full Version : Oil Overheating

flyingofficer
10th February 2011, 10:41
Please help :shrug:. Hi, I have just joined this forum after recently buying a Rover 75 (2003 1.8t petrol model), a car I have been wanting for some time as I like its classic shape. However, my 75 has recently started to overheat the oil, causing excessing exhaust fumes, although the water temp & level remain fine. I am aware of the problems with HGF but have been told that the water temp would rise if this were the problem. Does anyone have any ideas please before I go and shell out the £400+ for a new head gasket to be fitted. Any help or ideas would be greatfully accepted. Many thanks

andy willi
10th February 2011, 11:34
call in on saturday to nano meet in doncaster we can look at it fore you

andy

flyingofficer
10th February 2011, 11:51
Would love to mate, but can`t get car there cos of exhaust fumes being sooo bad. Thanks anyway.

T-Cut
10th February 2011, 12:53
It's not possible to overheat the engine oil without overheating the coolant as well. I'd suggest you probably have a turbocharger with failed oil seals.

TC

kaiser
10th February 2011, 13:21
I agree, there is something weird here!
My guess is that you are loosing oil and it is hitting the exhaust manifold or exhaust system somewhere and burning off, if not the turbo seals.
:cool:

flyingofficer
10th February 2011, 14:48
I appreciate your help guys, but I promise you the water level & temp are fine and its lost no oil at all (engine clean). Also, exhaust fumes are bad as soon as I start the car without even touching the throttle or the turbo kicking in. Any other ideas please? Someone has suggested that it could be the oil pump?

suffolk boy
10th February 2011, 16:50
if your oil pump was fautly the engine would have seized up by now.i suspect its oil dripping on to a hot exhaust which is burning off so you cannot see it.as for no drop in the oil level remember a liitle goes a long way.anyway you are going to have to take a look with the engine running or get it to a garage

stocktake
10th February 2011, 17:23
Remove the oil filler cap with the engine running see if it is excessive smokling out of there.

COLVERT
10th February 2011, 17:37
I appreciate your help guys, but I promise you the water level & temp are fine and its lost no oil at all (engine clean). Also, exhaust fumes are bad as soon as I start the car without even touching the throttle or the turbo kicking in. Any other ideas please? Someone has suggested that it could be the oil pump?

What colour are the exhaust fumes? Blue or black ?? :shrug::shrug:

If blue you are burning OIL. A little oil makes a lot of smoke. :mood:

If black you are burning Diesel/Petrol. :mood: ( Could be why you say the oil level remains OK, )

( PS> the tubo doesn't 'kick in' it is running all the time that exhaust gas is passing through it ) :D:D:D

ex-ctr
10th February 2011, 17:41
leaking turbo seals will smoke on boost or off, black sooty smoke will be over-fueling and you will smell petrol, burning oil is grey, water white the water and petrol will cause poor running as these go through the combustion process and interfere with it causing lumpy/poor running, the turbo seals tend to go on the exhaust housing side and just dribble oil into the exhaust gas causing loads of smoke but does not interfere with the combustion process so the car still runs ok but with a smoke screen:}

tonybubble
10th February 2011, 17:41
If black you are burning Diesel. :mood: ( Could be why you say the oil level remains OK, )

( PS> the tubo doesn't 'kick in' it is running all the time that exhaust gas is passing through it ) :D:D:D

OP has a 1.8T (petrol).

HarryM1BYT
10th February 2011, 17:55
Just a thought....

Could the engine breather(s) be blocked, pressurising the crankcase and blowing the oil into the chamber to burn?

COLVERT
10th February 2011, 19:31
OP has a 1.8T (petrol).
Same colour smoke. Lol.

tonybubble
10th February 2011, 19:33
Same colour smoke. Lol.

Probably not burning diesel though??

flyingofficer
10th February 2011, 19:54
Thanks for all your help guys, I really do appriciate all your advice and you have given me a couple of ideas to run with. The exhaust fumes are grey and smell of burning. I have taken off the oil filler cap with the engine running and the oil is smoking like hell and stinks of burning, but the water level and temp still remain normal. Also, the engine remains red hot for ages after switching off the engine, but the water cools quickly. Many thanks to ex-ctr for his advice re oil seals on the turbo, as his description matches my car`s problem fairly bang on. Cheers all.

Mike Noc
10th February 2011, 20:00

I don't understand the logic here - how is the oil overheating if you get the fumes as soon as you start the engine? How do you know the oil is overheating?

The turbo doesn't have to kick in to lose oil if the seals are worn. You could have worn valve guide seals or rings or a pressurised crankcase but the only oil that gets overheated is the small amount that gets burnt off.

As stated earlier you might not notice your oil level going down as a small amount of oil makes a large amount of smoke.

Mike

COLVERT
12th February 2011, 10:12
Probably not burning diesel though??
Unless, of course, he is like my wife who has on various occasions put both in her fuel tank !!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Colvert. Lol.

COLVERT
12th February 2011, 10:16
I don't understand the logic here - how is the oil overheating if you get the fumes as soon as you start the engine? How do you know the oil is overheating?

The turbo doesn't have to kick in to lose oil if the seals are worn. You could have worn valve guide seals or rings or a pressurised crankcase but the only oil that gets overheated is the small amount that gets burnt off.

As stated earlier you might not notice your oil level going down as a small amount of oil makes a large amount of smoke.

Mike

I think the OP's diagnosis is lacking in accurate detail making diagnosis difficult at long range. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Colvert. :confused::confused::confused:

kaiser
12th February 2011, 10:57
I think the OP's diagnosis is lacking in accurate detail making diagnosis difficult at long range. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Colvert. :confused::confused::confused:

What range would make it easy?:getmecoat:

SD1too
12th February 2011, 11:00
I have taken off the oil filler cap with the engine running and the oil is smoking like hell and stinks of burning ...
This points to serious cylinder bore wear or a piston ring problem.

When the OP says his oil is overheating I suspect it is this smoking to which he's referring.

Simon.

scouseeric
12th February 2011, 11:11
This points to serious cylinder bore wear or a piston ring problem.

When the OP says his oil is overheating I suspect it is this smoking to which he's referring.

Simon.

Beat me to it Si, my thoughts exactly.

Mike Noc
12th February 2011, 12:39
Now its getting clearer - thanks guys.

Mike

T-Cut
12th February 2011, 15:42
Does the car pull as it should? It should go like a bat outa Hell if you floor it. The mileage could be useful to know. If the engine pulls as it should, I can't see piston blowby being the relevant factor in this odd case of 'hot oil'.

TC

COLVERT
12th February 2011, 18:01
What range would make it easy?:getmecoat:
Three feet ..:D:D:D
:p:

NikTheGeek
12th February 2011, 18:51
What if coolant wasn't circulating properly? Could that even happen by some sort of blockage? Is engine temp a measure of coolant temp or is the sensor in the engine block? Its just that "water cools down" but "engine remains hot" sounds iffy.

What about wrong oil? Like really wrong oil! Or fuel in the oil? Would that cause it to smoke out of the filler but run ok? I've seen very low oil levels causing smoke. Wrong dipstick? Clutching at straws now.... :)

Telferstr
12th February 2011, 19:33
Hi, Flying Officer, Sir
It does sound like a Turbo problem if as you say there is no Coolant loss or high Temperature indication. The Turbo comes into action as soon as the engine is started and the exhaust gases start spinning the turbine blades of the Turbo. The Turbo is fed with oil under pressure from the Oil Pump and if a Seal has worn out in the Turbo, some of this oil will be pushed into the engine, hence the excessive smoke.
Alternatively, and as already mentioned, a blocked engine breather system could also be the cause. By removing the Oil Filler Cap this would allow any pressure built up within the engine to be released and would be very easily spotted. When removing the Oil Filler Cap you may feel a small amount of pressure on engine tick over, as the natural pressure build-up is seeking the easiest route out when the Cap is removed
However, from what you describe it does point to an Oil Seal failure in the Turbo, allowing oil to pass into the induction system and then to the combustion chamber, then hence the excessive smoke from the Exhaust Tail Pipe.
The only other condition that would produce the smoke you are describing would be sudden piston/piston ring failure, causing compression by-pass into the sump etc.
First port of call, Check the conditon of the air intake piping to the Inlet Manifold, if heavily soiled with oil = Oil Seal failure within the Turbo.
Hope this is of assistance.
Regards,
Telfer.