PDA

View Full Version : diesel alternator

ex-ctr
10th February 2011, 12:23
what a job, started at 10.30 just finnished:( 3hrs to change an alternator, power steering oil has been comming out of the bottom hose connection onto the header tank and soaking the alternator, the crimp on securing clips are rubbish, im getting 14.7v running now:D
mind you 148000 miles is good for an alternator

ex-ctr
10th February 2011, 16:41
anyone else done theres without removing the front end of the car

COLVERT
10th February 2011, 17:47
anyone else done theres without removing the front end of the car

Yes it can be removed from the bottom working through the drivers side wheel arch without having to take anything off the front.

paicey
10th February 2011, 18:04
what a job, started at 10.30 just finnished:( 3hrs to change an alternator, power steering oil has been comming out of the bottom hose connection onto the header tank and soaking the alternator, the crimp on securing clips are rubbish, im getting 14.7v running now:D
mind you 148000 miles is good for an alternator

Well done, fancy a trip to basingstoke to do mine lol, what voltage do you get with the engine off? With engine on and everything on and then when revved? Sorry to ask but my light is still on but no deterioration of anything, and the voltage seems ok? My car has similar miles on the clock and original alternator so curious. I know it's a bit of a cheek of me to ask this of you but if you can let me know I would be very grateful, thanks:bowdown:

paicey
10th February 2011, 18:08
Yes it can be removed through the drivers side wheel arch without having to take anything off the front.

Hiya, is this at all easy? Are there any threads or instructions on how to do it through the wheel arch? Sadly I'm not gifted in the tool handling department lol

crashmarks
10th February 2011, 19:10
I changed mine without taking the front off. I had it over a pit though. It was quite a struggle and took a couple of hours but better than taking the front off. I cant be sure but I seriously doubt that you can change it via the wheel arch.

ex-ctr
10th February 2011, 19:16
i took off the engine mount and the aluminium bracket that hols the power steering pump, disconected the front to rear ps pipe then puled it up between the engine and rad, now i know what im doing i can do it faster, being soaking wet did'nt help

tsautos
10th February 2011, 19:18
It can be changed from the top, from the bottom, or front end off, my preferred method is from the top.

HarryM1BYT
10th February 2011, 20:33
Well done, fancy a trip to basingstoke to do mine lol, what voltage do you get with the engine off? With engine on and everything on and then when revved?

Engine just stopped, no load on the battery - 12.6 to 12.8v

Engine stopped with some load on - 12.0 to 12.6v

Engine just started and ticking over, no major loads on 14.5 to 14.7

As above, but with everything on - 14.4

Last two might decrease once the battery is back to a full charge.

Don't rely on your OBD indicated voltage unless you have checked it and found it accurate against a proper meter. My OBD reads 0.4v low of the true reading.

paicey
10th February 2011, 20:57
Engine just stopped, no load on the battery - 12.6 to 12.8v

Engine stopped with some load on - 12.0 to 12.6v

Engine just started and ticking over, no major loads on 14.5 to 14.7

As above, but with everything on - 14.4

Last two might decrease once the battery is back to a full charge.

Don't rely on your OBD indicated voltage unless you have checked it and found it accurate against a proper meter. My OBD reads 0.4v low of the true reading.
Thankyou, how low does the voltage have to drop to make the light come on? Thanks for the info