PDA

View Full Version : Performance with no MAF connected.

paulf
11th February 2011, 16:22
My car has gradually lost performance recently due to the MAF sensor.I have disconnected it and am getting an indicated 44mpg on my usual journeys instead of the 45 or 46mpg i got with it connected.
Looking at the price of them it seems that I would need to do a lot of miles to get back the cost of replacement so am tempted to leave it disconnected, but will I be loosing much performance compared to a fully working sensor? I know that the car just runs a default map when disconnected and there is no compensation for air temp and have considered cutting the Maf signal wire but leaving the air temp sensor connected.
Paul.

James.uk
11th February 2011, 16:31
Mickey Mouse writes the "indicated" figures. :D

You have to do a brim to brim test to get your MPG.. :D

paulf
11th February 2011, 16:51
I realize that and am not particularly concerned about the actual mpg, just in what difference the disconnected sensor will make.If it just makes a couple of miles per gallon difference as indicated and the performance is as good as with a fully working sensor then it may not be worth the expense of replacing it.
But am I going to loose out on performance and drivability compared to a new sensor by leaving it disconnected ?
Paul
Mickey Mouse writes the "indicated" figures. :D

You have to do a brim to brim test to get your MPG.. :D