PDA

View Full Version : On the pull!!!

Volzhskyboy
10th July 2007, 08:41
Well, I don't know if it's an 'age' thing but I've recently been toying with the idea of having a tow-bar fitted and trying out caravanning for the first time.
What I am wanting is people's tips or advice on taking up towing for the first time or any good sites to read up on before being let loose on the highways and byways with an articulated vehicle!
:lol:

JohnDotCom
10th July 2007, 09:09
I'm sure some seasoned people will be along later to advise you, one of the most Important things is to ensure what ever you are towing is within the Weight range for your Vehicle combination, (allow for all the junk you put in it to go away!) and getting the height correct for Towing.
Have good practise or a simple 1 Day training on parking, driving etc of pulling a caravan.
All the best with your new venture.

David3807
10th July 2007, 09:50
You may have already tried this site but if not may be useful:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Practical+advice/Practical+advice.htm

tourerfogey
10th July 2007, 12:43
Now, the last time caravans were mentioned on here, the thread got locked........

Volzhskyboy
10th July 2007, 12:56
I'm due home tomorrow, maybe a lie-down in a darkened room.............:confused:

Zeb
10th July 2007, 12:59
Hmmmm...caravan + ZT ....

I'm due home tomorrow, maybe a lie-down in a darkened room.............:confused:

Good call!:lol:

black olive
11th July 2007, 10:51
Ok, Ill own up, I bought Moodyblue for towing a caravan, as ironically the ZS180 was too light :getmecoat:

JohnDotCom
11th July 2007, 12:20
Is there any Caravaners who can help answer any Volzhskyboy's questions in Post 1. Please.

tourerfogey
11th July 2007, 12:41
www.nationalcaravan.co.uk

www.practicalcaravan.co.uk

www.caravanning-online.co.uk

:)

JohnDotCom
11th July 2007, 13:09
Cheers Fogey.

Phil
11th July 2007, 18:39
http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/index.php?act=idx

found this from a google search.....:D

Departed
11th July 2007, 19:45
My 2p.

fit some sort of stabiliser.
Watch your loading, get the overall weight and noseweight right.
Get decent mirrors.
Just because you can technically tow a big van, don't assume it will tow well. There's a general rule of something like 80% of the kerbweight of the car, but get the lightest van that will fit the bill.
Keep the van serviced, especially brakes and tyres. They get neglected an cause accidents.
Watch out for damp in the van. It's as bad as tinworm in a car.
Think and think again about security. They are always likely to be nicked.

Departed
16th July 2007, 12:32
I agree on the stabiliser, you really need one. My van is a wee bit weavy over 55 without one, when its fitted it will creep over 80 if you dont realise it and still be steady as a rock!
Have you ever towed anything before? If not I would strongly advise a bit of training, I think the Caravan Club do a one day course, cheaper than bursting a tyre on a kerbafter mis judging your turning radius, and reversing is something of an art which is best not practiced on the open road.

If the CC don't, the I know for certain that the camping and caravan club do a course.

The Blackburn Hatter
16th July 2007, 14:18
Don't do it, Drive 250 miles to pee in a bucket, no privacy, plastic cups and plates, and the endless "are we there yet" followed by the barney with your wife when setting up. Been there done that, never again.
Can I have my pills now Doctor.