PDA

View Full Version : Can i change my sat nav on my double din

johnwh74
18th February 2011, 12:35
I recently purchaced this item which Trebor and Devilish very kindly and expertly fitted for me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120667269235&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The system is fantastic but i am not overjoyed with the Igo sat nav system.

What i am asking is whether it is possible to put Tomtom software or any other sat nav system on my unit?

Thanks JOhn

baconbuttyman
19th February 2011, 18:17
i have tomtom you could try, also primo is good, easier that igo8

johnwh74
19th February 2011, 19:41
i have tomtom you could try, also primo is good, easier that igo8

Mate that would be fantastic because that Igo is absolute diarrhoea :getmecoat:

MARKUK
19th February 2011, 19:52
Mate that would be fantastic because that Igo is absolute diarrhoea :getmecoat:

Lol !!!

I quite like Igo. !

Wish Pocket CoPilot worked though, which in my opinipn is better than TomTom, which I used to use on my XDA Exec before I changed to a built in GPS

johnwh74
19th February 2011, 21:01
Lol !!!

I quite like Igo. !

Wish Pocket CoPilot worked though, which in my opinipn is better than TomTom, which I used to use on my XDA Exec before I changed to a built in GPS

Igo seems so basic on my system. Maybe i have an old version on there or something :shrug:

I liked the Tomtom iq routes and would love to put that on the double din.
Any tomtom will be an improvement to whats on now :D

MARKUK
19th February 2011, 21:32
Are you using any skins or just the basic ?..

I don't think you are going to get the up to date latest Tomtom though...I think there's only a couple of versions that will work with WinCE...

Tony Fry knows more on this than me though !...

johnwh74
19th February 2011, 21:42
Are you using any skins or just the basic ?..

I don't think you are going to get the up to date latest Tomtom though...I think there's only a couple of versions that will work with WinCE...

Tony Fry knows more on this than me though !...

Hi MArk

To be honest mate i dont know **** about what i am using on it. All i know is that is **** poor and i need to change it.

I am hoping that the disc Baconbuttyman sends will make it better

I will try it and post up my findings on here, knowing my luck i will balls the whole thing up anyway lol

john

MARKUK
19th February 2011, 22:03
Hi John,

If you get too stuck you can always pop up to Barnsley and we can sort it out

johnwh74
19th February 2011, 22:13
Hi John,

If you get too stuck you can always pop up to Barnsley and we can sort it out

That is a great offer Mark and will let you know what happens.

This place never ceases to amaze me with the knowledge and how helpful people really are, its Much appreciated

John

MARKUK
19th February 2011, 22:18
That is a great offer Mark and will let you know what happens.

This place never ceases to amaze me with the knowledge and how helpful people really are, its Much appreciated

John

Well that's what the Forum is for I think :D

There's a lot of experiene out there not only for ICE related stuff but Engine and other Technical help too..

If I can help out just send me a mail..

Cheers

targetvs
19th February 2011, 22:38
Hey all, I don't think tom tom will work on it. Although it runs win ce the codec is different from that of the pda. I have tried tried several versions but so far nowt.

MARKUK
19th February 2011, 23:17
There is a version that some of the guys are using..

I am sure one of them will let you know the details..:D

CDTi
20th February 2011, 12:17
AFAIK only old versions of Tomtom will work on Chinese WinCE units i.e. TT6 and before. This means that you can only use ancient maps.

targetvs
20th February 2011, 14:44
Thought that was the case. I have been trying to get updated maps but so far no good. I have always used tom tom but started using igo8, I quite like it. It has full post code and fully adjustable mapping. Quick to use etc...starting to sound like a sales man.

Mr Edd
28th February 2011, 19:16
I'm another that finds iGO8 cumbersome to use. I tried Primo but it kept crashing when I was in the middle of a large city (Birmingham) which was very strange place for me and I didn't know what turns to make in very busy traffic.

Panic stations as too busy to be able to muck about with it in traffic.

Most of the time I find iGO8 needs a lot of unnecessary tweaking while driving and that could be dangerous too.

I also get very frustrated when it zooms out after every intersection or roundabout even in city traffic. completely unnecessary imho. I would love to be able to turn that feature off.

Another thing is when I punch in an address it goes on the map to that address, I want it to start from where I am as Tom-Tom does. I have to drive a few miles before it catches up to where I am and displays the current road ahead. For all I know I must be going around in circles for a mile or two before it figures out where it is. (Yes it is getting a strong GPS signal)

Then there is the long interrupts to the radio when it wants to tell me that a speed camera (which is no longer in use) is coming up. I eventually got into the settings and turned the SatNav sound off completely; but now I have to keep my eye on the screen. yet another dangerous thing to do.

I would like to try Tom-Tom but it seems it doesn't work.

I can see me having to buy another Tom-Tom that sticks on the windscreen which is a retrograde approach to say the least.

Sorry for the rant.

Edd