PDA

View Full Version : IGO8 POI collections

David Lawrence
19th February 2011, 12:36
There are a bewildering number of websites out there with POI collections for free download. Can anyone recommend any in particular?

Its quite hard to keep track of the best sites

HarryM1BYT
20th February 2011, 09:58
http://www.poiplaza.com/

Seems to be one of the better ones.

David Lawrence
20th February 2011, 14:56
http://www.poiplaza.com/

Seems to be one of the better ones.

Thanks Harry, it does seem to cover a lot of ground. My next question is: do I just post the POI files in the same folder with the one called "UnitedKingdom"? Is there an easy way to tell if the system is reading the new ones?

David Lawrence
21st February 2011, 20:42
OK so heres my next question. Has anyone got the 3D terrain views working? I put a "WesternEurope.DEM" file in the DEM folder but I'm not seeing any mountains. Does the UK need a different DEM file?

Ajd1
21st February 2011, 21:09
I had the British Isles .dem file in mine.

Worked very well when I was in cornwall late last year.

Andy

If you need a copy of the file I can send you a link if you want.

wutang
21st February 2011, 21:35
I have terrain view and junction view working on mine, but I am using primo.

I get my poi's from WWW.pocketgpsworld.com

HarryM1BYT
21st February 2011, 23:19
Thanks Harry, it does seem to cover a lot of ground. My next question is: do I just post the POI files in the same folder with the one called "UnitedKingdom"? Is there an easy way to tell if the system is reading the new ones?

I cannot remember, but if you get it right it will be obvious - you will see the extra categories of POI's listed in the menu.

Each file you download from the site includes a text file .txt which tells you exactly which folder to load them into. Next time you run the satnav (just for the first run) it will take a few minutes to include the extra POI's.

David Lawrence
22nd February 2011, 20:17
I had the British Isles .dem file in mine.

Worked very well when I was in cornwall late last year.

Andy

If you need a copy of the file I can send you a link if you want.

I found a BritishIsles.Dem file and put it in the DEM folder. It is about 35Mb in size. I turned on the 3D terrain in Map screen settings to High detail level, but I'm not seeing anything obvious on the map. What should I expect to see? Maybe my DEM file is not compatible with a TeleAtlas map?

Ajd1
22nd February 2011, 20:25
That sounds like the file I have, i think it depends on how hilly it is where you are as to what you will see.

I live in Lincolnshire which is quite flat so don't see much of anything while I'm around home.

Go somewhere hilly though and it changes, in St Ives on the screen it looked like I was travelling half way up the hill.

I think also you have to have the screen tilted down so its nearly flat, it looks like you are driving into the screen.

Quite novel at first.

Andy

David Lawrence
22nd February 2011, 20:40
That sounds like the file I have, i think it depends on how hilly it is where you are as to what you will see.

I live in Lincolnshire which is quite flat so don't see much of anything while I'm around home.

Go somewhere hilly though and it changes, in St Ives on the screen it looked like I was travelling half way up the hill.

I think also you have to have the screen tilted down so its nearly flat, it looks like you are driving into the screen.

Quite novel at first.

Andy

Well Wales is fairly mountainous, but perhaps I can plot a route to Cornwall or Snowdonia, then simulate the route and see what shows up. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

Ajd1
22nd February 2011, 20:49
Sorry I didn't notice where you lived, as you say fairly mountainous. :o

Haven't got my unit at the moment so can't see what other settings if any I had.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Andy

tony_fry
23rd February 2011, 07:18
THE POI should go in the POI folder:-

igo8/content/userdata/poi

If you do not have this folder just create one

StorageCard\igo8\content\building\
Your 3D building files go in this folder files ending in .3dc (3D building) and .3dl (3d Landmark)

StorageCard\igo8\content\dem\
Your terrain files go in here (.dem)

StorageCard\igo8\content\lang\
Language files go in here, these are for the text in the menus, not the voices. All files end in .zip and usually begin with Lang_filename.

StorageCard\igo8\content\map\
Your map files go in here, files have the .fbl extension, make sure you have iGo 2008 files not miomap 3.3 which have the poi's integrated in the files and won't work.

StorageCard\igo8\content\phoneme\
Phoneme files go here, they are used by TTS to improve pronunciation, files end in a .ph extension.

StorageCard\igo8\content\poi\
POI files go in here, these are what allow you to find Points of interest, without these you can't look for anything except addresses. Files contain the .poi extension.

StorageCard\igo8\content\scheme\
These files are what determine the colors of the roads and terrain in the map. Files are all .zip files.

StorageCard\igo8\content\skin
Skins to determine the look of the program. All files in this folder are .zip files.

StorageCard\igo8\content\speedcam\
Speedcam files go in here. I have one file in here SpeedcamUpdates.spud, others can chime in on what other types of files besides .spud files work.

StorageCard\igo8\content\texture\
This folder contains the arrows and stuff that appear on the map, like the moving right arrow for right turns. All files are .tex.

StorageCard\igo8\content\userdata
Where iGo stores all sorts of user data like saved routes etc.

StorageCard\igo8\content\voice\
Voice files go in here, both TTS and non-TTS. All files are zips, though TTS requires extra dll's to make it work.

David Lawrence
23rd February 2011, 22:43
Thanks Tony that;s really informative. I think I have all the right files in all the right places. I've navigated to central London and seen the buildings pop up fine, so Know thats working, not sure where to navigate to in order to check for a landmark but I do have a 3dl file there. But the terrain is the bit I'm not sure is working. Just not really sure how dramatic the terrain 3d screens should look. The elevated roads part works really well and I've seen petrol stations pop up, which look pretty good, but so far not seen any dramatic landscapes, my viewing tilt seems to be mostly birds eye, rather than showing the horizon, but when the horizon does come up I've seen a few pimply looking hills appear in the distance. Is that it or should I expect to see something more? Is there anywhere that I could find some screenshots of what they should look like. I've not seen anything in any of the user guides.

igo8/content/userdata/poi

If you do not have this folder just create one

StorageCard\igo8\content\building\
Your 3D building files go in this folder files ending in .3dc (3D building) and .3dl (3d Landmark)

StorageCard\igo8\content\dem\
Your terrain files go in here (.dem)

StorageCard\igo8\content\lang\
Language files go in here, these are for the text in the menus, not the voices. All files end in .zip and usually begin with Lang_filename.

StorageCard\igo8\content\map\
Your map files go in here, files have the .fbl extension, make sure you have iGo 2008 files not miomap 3.3 which have the poi's integrated in the files and won't work.

StorageCard\igo8\content\phoneme\
Phoneme files go here, they are used by TTS to improve pronunciation, files end in a .ph extension.

StorageCard\igo8\content\poi\
POI files go in here, these are what allow you to find Points of interest, without these you can't look for anything except addresses. Files contain the .poi extension.

StorageCard\igo8\content\scheme\
These files are what determine the colors of the roads and terrain in the map. Files are all .zip files.

StorageCard\igo8\content\skin
Skins to determine the look of the program. All files in this folder are .zip files.

StorageCard\igo8\content\speedcam\
Speedcam files go in here. I have one file in here SpeedcamUpdates.spud, others can chime in on what other types of files besides .spud files work.

StorageCard\igo8\content\texture\
This folder contains the arrows and stuff that appear on the map, like the moving right arrow for right turns. All files are .tex.

StorageCard\igo8\content\userdata
Where iGo stores all sorts of user data like saved routes etc.

StorageCard\igo8\content\voice\
Voice files go in here, both TTS and non-TTS. All files are zips, though TTS requires extra dll's to make it work.

HarryM1BYT
23rd February 2011, 23:24

igo8/content/userdata/poiStorageCard\igo8\content\voice\

Thanks Tony, that is very useful - something I had intended to try to work out for myself.

Is Primo the same?

tony_fry
24th February 2011, 06:49
Thanks Tony, that is very useful - something I had intended to try to work out for myself.

Is Primo the same?

Yes Harry, Primo is much the same.

David Lawrence
24th February 2011, 18:43
Yes Harry, Primo is much the same.

Does something need adding in Sys.txt to make it work? I found a video of what it should look like when its working and mine isn't for terrain, although all the other 3D features are. I've got BritishIsles.dem in the content/Dem folder and it is set to high resolution in the map screen settings, but nothing like the video I found.

David Lawrence
25th February 2011, 19:52

Quite novel at first.

Andy

How did you adjust your "Tilt"? Mine only tilts occassionally then reverts quickly back to a birds eye view. How can I make it stay tilted more of the time?

Ajd1
25th February 2011, 20:06
Going from memory.

On the map screen I touched the bottom of the screen until the boxes across the bottom appeared.

When they appear there should be 4 direction arrows on the left side, the tilt is done by the up or down arrow can't remember which at the moment.

Its not all that accurate so I kept trying until I got it where I wanted it to be.

Then I held down on the leftmost button on the bottom until a box popped up asking if I wanted to save this position, just clicked yes.

Then whenever I turn the map on I touched the screen and then just touch the leftmost box and the map adjusted to where I had left it.

I think there might be a way to alter the .sys file to get it to do it automatically but I haven't figured that bit out yet.

Hope this helps.

Andy

David Lawrence
25th February 2011, 20:29
Going from memory.

On the map screen I touched the bottom of the screen until the boxes across the bottom appeared.

When they appear there should be 4 direction arrows on the left side, the tilt is done by the up or down arrow can't remember which at the moment.

Its not all that accurate so I kept trying until I got it where I wanted it to be.

Then I held down on the leftmost button on the bottom until a box popped up asking if I wanted to save this position, just clicked yes.

Then whenever I turn the map on I touched the screen and then just touch the leftmost box and the map adjusted to where I had left it.

I think there might be a way to alter the .sys file to get it to do it automatically but I haven't figured that bit out yet.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I just went and did something very uncharacteristic for me and read the manual, and sure enough it explains how to tilt the screen exactly as you described. 3D terrain problem solved !!

I've had this thing for over a year now and only just learned it could do all these things if only I'd turned them on.

Ajd1
25th February 2011, 20:37
Glad I could be of some use, sounds a bit like me the manual is a place of last resort. :D

Andy

David Lawrence
25th February 2011, 22:01
Glad I could be of some use, sounds a bit like me the manual is a place of last resort. :D

Andy

I found the line:

defaulttilt3d=75000

in a sys.txt file example on a forum. Do you know what it means?

Ajd1
25th February 2011, 22:41
I would imagine its something to do with the tilt level it starts with.

Altering the value should alter the amount of tilt.

Unfortunately I can't have a play about until my new unit arrives.

David Lawrence
26th February 2011, 09:50
I would imagine its something to do with the tilt level it starts with.

Altering the value should alter the amount of tilt.

Unfortunately I can't have a play about until my new unit arrives.

I just added the line in, and it sets up the tilt perfectly for viewing the terrain in 3D. Thanks for the pointers. I've not tried adjusting the value as it seems a pretty good value to start with

Ajd1
26th February 2011, 11:15
Thankyou, I've been looking for the line that would set it up automatically.

Looking forward to trying it in mine now.

Andy