PDA

View Full Version : Firefox -am I missing something?

tourerfogey
14th July 2007, 18:37
The mention of Firefox on another thread has reminded me of something I was going to ask:-

What is so special about Firefox? Everybody seems to rave about how good it is and what it's capable of but as far as I can tell it's very basic and quite slow. Am I missing something?

GreyGhost
14th July 2007, 18:43
I don't know what it's like on the PC but compared to Safari on the Mac it is very slow and a little cumbersome, on the other hand it does handle the DIVX plugin better than Safari.

BMC123
14th July 2007, 18:45
Nope.

Originally, Firefox was a lot better than IE as it was faster, more secure, had better features etc ect.... But time has caught up with it, and now its nearly as bad as IE6 was :shrug: In fact, I would go so far to say its worse.

Having said that, I still have it as I had quite a few bookmarks on it, and never got around to transfering a few of them over to IE7 (that I use now) I also tried Apples "new" browser (Safari), and found it to be very buggy (for me anyway) also tried opera and again found myself back with IE7.

I will admit to freely raving about firefox when i first discovered it, but now I rave about how bad it is :lol: But, again each to thier own and I really just advise anyone to stick with whatever works for them, and not to fall foul of the "lemming syndrome"

Ken
14th July 2007, 18:47
The mention of Firefox on another thread has reminded me of something I was going to ask:-

What is so special about Firefox? Everybody seems to rave about how good it is and what it's capable of but as far as I can tell it's very basic and quite slow. Am I missing something?

I could not agree more :D If you are missing something so am I. I use IE7 and find it excellent.

I think its really a case of what you are used to, when I started using pcs years ago I only ever used Navigator and swore by it :lol:

GreyGhost
14th July 2007, 18:52
BMC
The current version of Safari Mac and PC is V 3.0 Beta it is a little buggy on here as well, but in using it we can report it's foibles back to Apple for resolution.
Give it a few months and a few updates then give it another go.
The previous version was stable and a joy to use but no PC version. Must reinstall it sometime. :)

Zeb
14th July 2007, 19:01
Firefox used to be good, now it is rather buggy, however, it does have the advantage of the Noscript plug in which is very useful for avoiding forced redirects and keylogger downloads on ebay listings!

Paranoid Carlos
14th July 2007, 19:17
Nope.

Originally, Firefox was a lot better than IE as it was faster, more secure, had better features etc ect.... But time has caught up with it, and now its nearly as bad as IE6 was :shrug: In fact, I would go so far to say its worse.

Having said that, I still have it as I had quite a few bookmarks on it, and never got around to transfering a few of them over to IE7 (that I use now) I also tried Apples "new" browser (Safari), and found it to be very buggy (for me anyway) also tried opera and again found myself back with IE7.

I will admit to freely raving about firefox when i first discovered it, but now I rave about how bad it is :lol: But, again each to thier own and I really just advise anyone to stick with whatever works for them, and not to fall foul of the "lemming syndrome"

Got to agree, I installed Firefox after I couldn't get on this site using IE7 seemed a lot quicker with firefox, but after putting in more Ram and this site going compatible with IE7 it's just as quick.
In the last week going on the web has brought up a "windows doesn't recognise site etc" message then firefox opens it up anyway in the background
Switched back to IE7 and all is well again.

tourerfogey
14th July 2007, 19:39
Blinded by science yet again guys! ;)

Tim
14th July 2007, 19:49
I find both are okay. Use them for different reasons. Firefox seems more flexible and has a better interface with downloads but same-o same-o. Used IE for longer so would go with that if I had to choose between them.