PDA

View Full Version : Double Din too big!

steve811
6th March 2011, 19:02
After spending the last two days fitting the wiring and cutting out the surround for a double din unit (Xtrons TD714G) I realised that the unit is longer than the Harmony by a lot, and stands proud of the dash by about 10mm. I know that behind the unit is a padded shelf, and I am contemplating removing the padding to increase the depth.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The other problem I have is that the unit won't play with the steering wheel controls, when they are set up it sends the volume up and I can't get it back down!:confused:

trebor
6th March 2011, 20:27
a number of us have fitted these units and you have to remove the padded section at the back of the dsah which is plastic and will snap out bit by bit with plyers or similar, that will then give you the extra depth you need.

The Xtrons units are also normally too big height wise for the double din facias which have to have a section of the top bar cut out to accomodate but you cannot see it when the eyebrow is refitted.

Cant help much with the steering wheel controls, are you using the correct wires ?

steve811
6th March 2011, 20:50
Thanks, will cut away the padding one evening or at the weekend! Will look again at the controls, just me I expect!

MARKUK
6th March 2011, 21:47
There's probably also an L shaped bracket bolted on behind the H/U...

Just unbolt that ( if it's there ! ) and that will gove you more space to move

steve811
6th March 2011, 22:24
Already done that, but stil need about 10mm!

MARKUK
6th March 2011, 23:07
Looks like some shaving for you then ! :D

ronbax
24th December 2011, 11:20
hi steve811,
have just bought a TD714G; which double din facia have you used??
did you have to modify it??
did you mount the unit in a cage??
i assume you eventually got your unit to fit!!

regards

steve811
24th December 2011, 13:12
I used a standard DD one (supplied by a local radio place) I beleive it was one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT23RO01-Rover-75-1999-Black-Double-Din-Fascia-Facia-Adaptor-Panel-Surround-Kit-/160674920613?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2568f8b8a5

And yes I did have to modify it and I am still loking for the pefect fit!