PDA

View Full Version : GPS problem

oldyellow
7th March 2011, 11:13
Hi I have a problem with the GPS on my DD unit. Everything works as it should BUT if I try to use the GPS I get a pale blue screen with the words navigation system and thats all it then appears to freeze. I have tried a reset but to no avail. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Radioguy
7th March 2011, 12:39
Hi I have a problem with the GPS on my DD unit. Everything works as it should BUT if I try to use the GPS I get a pale blue screen with the words navigation system and thats all it then appears to freeze. I have tried a reset but to no avail. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

This could be a Full cache or a damaged SD Card or Damaged Files

I would start with a 3 Hour Disconnect from power (Disconnect the battery cable) to see if it is a cache problem.

If that does nothing then we I can send you a new Download Point , If we can't get that Done , Ill have to ask you to purchase a New SD Card. We can send you one pre Loaded ..

Cheers

Sean

oldyellow
7th March 2011, 13:01
Ok thanks Sean I am trying the disconnect now. I will let you know if that works.

oldyellow
7th March 2011, 18:19
Well I disconnected it today for about 4 hours but unfortunately still the same problem so I need the next step please Sean

Radioguy
8th March 2011, 03:22
HI Oldyellow , Can you please PM Me your Email address and Was this purchased from yours truly ?

Sean

DCN808T
8th March 2011, 05:45
This is prezactly the same problem i've been having sean. New card and tried the link you e-mailed to no avail.

baconbuttyman
8th March 2011, 12:48
i get that on my old unit when the stereo is not pointing to the correct file on the card, try navigating thru the card and pointing the startup file as the .exe file

oldyellow
9th March 2011, 08:24
i get that on my old unit when the stereo is not pointing to the correct file on the card, try navigating thru the card and pointing the startup file as the .exe file

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I access the card to do this?

ceedy
9th March 2011, 08:50
Having bin there dun it etc..a few times and have the same symptoms at the moment. ( 3rd time).

My Diagnosis is . a hardware fault. most likely the GPS card is not initialising and the System firmware is not recognising it so will not progress to the system Menu's.
Bad news .. hopefully this isn't the case .

Chris

oldyellow
9th March 2011, 08:56
Having bin there dun it etc..a few times and have the same symptoms at the moment. ( 3rd time).

My Diagnosis is . a hardware fault. most likely the GPS card is not initialising and the System firmware is not recognising it so will not progress to the system Menu's.
Bad news .. hopefully this isn't the case .

Chris
Cheers Chris, somehow I feared it may be a hardware fault. Am I correct in thinking even if there is no SD card in the unit it should have a basic GPS function?

ceedy
9th March 2011, 09:44
Cheers Chris, somehow I feared it may be a hardware fault. Am I correct in thinking even if there is no SD card in the unit it should have a basic GPS function?

if you don't put the card . when you select gps. the system obviously won't find any so it defaults back to the menus so you can give it the correct path to the files.

There is no "basic GPS" function other than these Menus, which you can use to run all sorts of software other than GPS's. but they do give a couple of test selections to read the GPS and monitor the serial data coming from the GPS, this is as long as the hardware is actually working.

I'm not sure where the GPS path Menus system are held, in the main unit ( the firmware for this is usually in held the DVD board), or if the GPS path menus are in the actual GPS board. I think its the former.

When I get a minute to take mine out I will remove the gps board ( again!! ) and will then see if it progresses past the frozen screen.

But if it needs to see the GPS hardware then it obviously won't go any further on.

( BTW My unit is not one of Seans but uses the same software and menus system).

It does seem that the only weakness in a lot of these type of units is the GPS Board . I've had 2 units and 3 gps board failures. :mad: maybe I'm doomed !! :shrug:

hope this helps a bit

Chris :getmecoat:

Radioguy
9th March 2011, 11:45

No, The program and the Maps are on the SD Card
No SD Card, No Navi
Photos and Instructions sent to set up the Path to the Navi, Do you have your manual with it also ? It is In there ...
Sean