PDA

View Full Version : Two water leaks - Arrhhhhggg

meggiedude
9th March 2011, 06:49
Having work done on my 1.8T last night.
While changing timing belt wanted to diagnose the water leak I have been getting.
Looked to be coming from the water pump area prior to work. Indeed there is a leak with this - so water pump and its seal replaced - great.

This has however not fixed issue, as there now appears to be a SECOND water leak and we are really struggling to find and fix. It appears to be coming from the opposite end of the engine to the timing belt and nearer the top then running round the nearside end of the engine before dripping on the floor.
It seems to be coming from somewhere close to the inlet manifold.
Its a nightmare round there with lots of breather and fuel pipes as well electrical cables. There is no clear way of seeing where the water is coming from.
Are there any water pipes that feed and heat/cool the inlet manifold that might be causing this issue? We notice there is a water feed pipe at the timing belt end of the inlet manifold - are there any other underneath it and near the other end that might be causing this issue? or maybe a cracked inlet manifold?

Cheers

Zeb
9th March 2011, 06:51
Most likely the inlet manifold gasket then...:) These have been improved two or three times to try and resolve leaks...I forget what colour you'll be needing now but someone will be along to advise no doubt.

Lates
9th March 2011, 07:48
Green iirc ;)

meggiedude
9th March 2011, 09:24
Thanks gents, - where are these green gaskets normally avail from?
I suspect the store we normally get the bits from will supply whatever colour gasket they have avail.