PDA

View Full Version : DVB box

steve811
11th March 2011, 11:39
Had a real Homer Simpson moment the other day! After fitting the Xtrons DD unit I tried tuning in the TV. Took me a long time to realise that it was analogue and the signal was off, we are digital down here! Anyway, I have looked at the digital boxes on Ebay and was wondering if anyone had tried using a domestic DVB box to feed the screen? I have a spare unit which runs of 12v, is not much bigger than a paperback and I was wondering about trying that. Is there any difference between a car DVB box and a domestic one?

HarryM1BYT
11th March 2011, 17:00
Had a real Homer Simpson moment the other day! After fitting the Xtrons DD unit I tried tuning in the TV. Took me a long time to realise that it was analogue and the signal was off, we are digital down here! Anyway, I have looked at the digital boxes on Ebay and was wondering if anyone had tried using a domestic DVB box to feed the screen? I have a spare unit which runs of 12v, is not much bigger than a paperback and I was wondering about trying that. Is there any difference between a car DVB box and a domestic one?

Essentially - no, but some are better adapted to mobile use.

Radioguy
12th March 2011, 12:51
Functionality is the same but within the MOBILE units there are different qualities usually bmeasured in Ability to capture velocity at higher and higher speeds

For example the Built in Units are good up to 30 KM/hr
Others are good to 120 KM / Hr and Others to 180 KM/hr (Which is what we use)

The Best on the Market that I have seen is to 280 KM/Hr

Sean

MARKUK
12th March 2011, 13:32
I haven't seen any DVB boxes that do what they say in relation to speed...
Mine is supposed to work at way over 70 mph but it doesnt !...and I have tried the aerials in many different orientations and places in the car...

But worth having just the same

HarryM1BYT
13th March 2011, 08:11
I think the speed rating must be an entirely unofficial means of comparing them. What matters is their signal sensitivity, ability to make sense of a poor signal, ability to work around a temporary signal loss and number of antenna inputs to enable the set to choose the one providing best reception at any particular instant. I have never seen any of these figures quoted.

I ordered the more expensive of the two receivera from Sean, the DVB-T MPEG-4 with two antenna inputs. It works surprisingly well, but I would not expect it to provide a usable level of reception on the move at all.