PDA

View Full Version : ok run into problems after installing DVT to new DD

baconbuttyman
11th March 2011, 17:36
Installed the new DD yesterday and radio reception has been good, a lot better than befor.
Today i set about installing the DVT set, so set it all up as it should, wires here there and every where, radi reception was impacted severely, NO tv channels were found. when i wiggle the aerial adaptor the radio comes back so am thinking the adaptor is at fault her regarding the radio??
But the tv channels are another matter.
Run the system on auto tune and nothing??, the antennai runs from the stereo up the A pillar along the roof lining to the high brake light. so it's spread out, i tried adjusting the khz to 177500 to end at 858000 khz, nothing found.
I am flumaxed. checked and rechecked the feeds were connected. the tv antennai is connected the the same feeds as the DVT box and that comes on.
any idea's :shrug:, am i tuning it in wrongly, the instructions arent very good tbh

HarryM1BYT
11th March 2011, 17:54
QUOTE=baconbuttyman

Today i set about installing the DVT set, so set it all up as it should, wires here there and every where, radi reception was impacted severely, NO tv channels were found. when i wiggle the aerial adaptor the radio comes back so am thinking the adaptor is at fault her regarding the radio??

Quicker off the mark than me to find it then :D

Yes, my adaptor didn't work too well either. Cut the ISO plug end off and fit a DIN one.

But the tv channels are another matter.
Run the system on auto tune and nothing??, the antennai runs from the stereo up the A pillar along the roof lining to the high brake light. so it's spread out, i tried adjusting the khz to 177500 to end at 858000 khz, nothing found.

If your DVB-T has a single antenna input - it is not the same as mine, so general suggestions only....

If the TV antenna is an amplified type, make sure the box is set to turn on the voltage for the antenna. Make sure it is set for UK reception. Obviously, your car at ground level may not be able to get as good reception as your TV in the house on its chimney antenna - maybe try searching for channels at a better location.

I am flumaxed. checked and rechecked the feeds were connected. the tv antennai is connected the the same feeds as the DVT box and that comes on.
any idea's :shrug:

I don't understand your final paragraph

baconbuttyman
11th March 2011, 18:13
any idea's :shrug:

I don't understand your final paragraph

i thought there may have been a prob with the live n neg feed but they are connected fine

what do you mean cut the iso adaptor off the arial and put a DIN one on

baconbuttyman
12th March 2011, 18:21
Well the tv is now working, good picture, not all stations tuned in yet but at least i have QVC :o;);), amonst others ;);).
The radio issue turns out to be the connector coming from the car so have severed that and replaced with a standard connector.

baconbuttyman
13th March 2011, 17:28
this is doing my head in, the reception is great on my old unit, but now, since installing the tv unit on the dd it's terrible, i cant clean it up, even tried the marks gizmo.
all the wires ect are down the back of the stereo, could there be interferance from all the wires, also the live feeds are take from the stero live, could that be the problem. tbh i am a bit fed up of the poor reception.

May just rip it all out and start again :shrug::shrug:

HarryM1BYT
13th March 2011, 18:33
this is doing my head in, the reception is great on my old unit, but now, since installing the tv unit on the dd it's terrible, i cant clean it up, even tried the marks gizmo.
all the wires ect are down the back of the stereo, could there be interferance from all the wires, also the live feeds are take from the stero live, could that be the problem. tbh i am a bit fed up of the poor reception.

May just rip it all out and start again :shrug::shrug:

You are not making it clear which reception is poor - do you mean poor radio reception or poor TV reception?

The cables will not normally interfere with each other.

Can you confirm that you cut off the original radio antenna plug (ISO) at the back of the radio and fitted in its place a DIN plug on the end of the coax? In other words no need for the ISO to DIN adaptor.

baconbuttyman
13th March 2011, 19:07
You are not making it clear which reception is poor - do you mean poor radio reception or poor TV reception?

The cables will not normally interfere with each other.

Can you confirm that you cut off the original radio antenna plug (ISO) at the back of the radio and fitted in its place a DIN plug on the end of the coax? In other words no need for the ISO to DIN adaptor.

It's the radio, the only way i could see to place a din end on was to buy an extention and connect it with two Male and female TV antenna plugs.

so now it has a din plug

MARKUK
13th March 2011, 20:21
Looks like it's worse due to more stuff being added that degrade the signal..

What was the radio reception like before you installed the DVB ?...

Might have been an idea to do one thing at a time and leave a day or two for testing in between before adding everything else BBMan..

baconbuttyman
13th March 2011, 20:35
Looks like it's worse due to more stuff being added that degrade the signal..

What was the radio reception like before you installed the DVB ?...

Might have been an idea to do one thing at a time and leave a day or two for testing in between before adding everything else BBMan..

the rection was really good befor i put in the DVB, then after i placed the DVB box in i noticed the antenna end was dodgy, so took it off and placed 2 tv antenna connections on to join a standad connector to the car lead, but what i am thinking is this connection is not good enough, so am going to try to solder the joints together, so am going to strip it all out and start again.

MARKUK
13th March 2011, 20:43
I would take everything out, get the radio working 100% and then go from there...

baconbuttyman
13th March 2011, 22:49
i think you are right Mark

baconbuttyman
14th March 2011, 15:13
Well. I took out every thing and started again. The hu now seems to have good reception. But. When the antenna for the TV is connected . The reception reverts to poor. Is there a work around for this.

HarryM1BYT
14th March 2011, 15:29
Well. I took out every thing and started again. The hu now seems to have good reception. But. When the antenna for the TV is connected . The reception reverts to poor. Is there a work around for this.

I've suffered most of the problems - but that is not one I have come across before. The nearest I have had to that, was when I suffered degraded reception on the radio, when the TMC was connected - even with TMC fed via Mark's amp with its own completely separate antenna. I did eventually trace that problem to the ISO to DIN antenna adaptor. Might your radio reception problem be due to a similar poor connection between radio antenna and the back of the radio antenna input socket?

MARKUK
14th March 2011, 16:10

I take it that you are connecting the DVB via 3 phono plugs ?...

What happens if the DVB is on but not connected to the DD ?

Also, where are you getting the power for the DVB from ?

baconbuttyman
14th March 2011, 16:36
I've suffered most of the problems - but that is not one I have come across before. The nearest I have had to that, was when I suffered degraded reception on the radio, when the TMC was connected - even with TMC fed via Mark's amp with its own completely separate antenna. I did eventually trace that problem to the ISO to DIN antenna adaptor. Might your radio reception problem be due to a similar poor connection between radio antenna and the back of the radio antenna input socket?

GO TO NEXT POST COMMENT :o:o

I take it that you are connecting the DVB via 3 phono plugs ?...

What happens if the DVB is on but not connected to the DD ?

Also, where are you getting the power for the DVB from ?

Have you ever had one f those moments when when you say to your self, you plonker, a real DOH moment, a proper Homer Simpson moment!!!.
Just sat in the car reading Marks post, the DVB is connecting via the A/V leads, then it struck me, why am i putting the aerial lead into the unit also, then what is this spare antenna lead on the rear of the stereo for, DOH, it's not for the DVB, It's the TMC :o:o:o:o OMG what a prat :mad::mad::mad::mad:

baconbuttyman
14th March 2011, 16:38
Here's where i stand atm, Perfectly clear radio :D:D

No DVB connected, Now i know why it's affecting the radio reception.

TMC as of yet unconnected.

Reverse camera installed but not connected to reverse lights..yet.

MARKUK
14th March 2011, 17:02
Here's where i stand atm, Perfectly clear radio :D:D

No DVB connected, Now i know why it's affecting the radio reception.

TMC as of yet unconnected.

Reverse camera installed but not connected to reverse lights..yet.

Sometimes worth taking a step back and following a checklist when installing new kit BBMan...:D:D

In my job, things need to be done in the right way or bad things happen and servers go down, so I like to check as I go...Hence advising to start from scratch and sorting radio etc etc...

Kinda confused ad to how you were able to connect the DVB aerial into the DD when it should be a completely different fitting !

Next thing is your TMC !!

baconbuttyman
14th March 2011, 17:33
The dvb antenna has a din plug as well at a standard connector

baconbuttyman
14th March 2011, 19:11
DVB now reconnected, no degredation on radio reception detected, tv signal not very good but will look at that when i am sure the radio is ok

kevineds
14th March 2011, 19:14
Following this thread as a reference for when my DD arrives :)

baconbuttyman
14th March 2011, 21:06
when i place a din plug in the TMC the radio reception is worse, but leaving that for now to make sure the radio is ok with what i have done up to now

MARKUK
14th March 2011, 21:18
These shouldn't be linked...as the TMC feeds the TMC and not the radio...

Would love to get a look at the inside to see what was what !

baconbuttyman
15th March 2011, 13:53
couldnt resist it, connected the rear view camera up with no probs as of yet

kevineds
16th March 2011, 08:47
Have you got the wireless or cable camera?

baconbuttyman
16th March 2011, 08:51
Have you got the wireless or cable camera?

wireless.............

kevineds
16th March 2011, 08:57
Ah, I've ordered the cable one, was going to ask which way you routed it, thinking maybe under doorsteps (under the trim)

baconbuttyman
16th March 2011, 09:51
Ah, I've ordered the cable one, was going to ask which way you routed it, thinking maybe under doorsteps (under the trim)

I would be inclined to in through the roof lining. The drivers side

MARKUK
16th March 2011, 12:09
I routed mine under the door trim, then up through the boot lid...

Went well until I decided to drill straight through the circuit board for the
number plate lights ! :D..

However, after a bit of "creative soldering" later all was well again :D

Teflon
16th March 2011, 12:15

:iagree: Very easy to do - didn't even need to disturb the trim, just push the cable up under its edge.

Cliff

baconbuttyman
16th March 2011, 13:53

Went well until I decided to drill straight through the circuit board for the
number plate lights ! :D..

However, after a bit of "creative soldering" later all was well again :D

i placed my camera in the middle of the plinth, drilled a hole behind the number plate and passed the wires that way

CoOkIeMoNsTeR
16th March 2011, 16:45
i placed my camera in the middle of the plinth, drilled a hole behind the number plate and passed the wires that way
Any piccys of the install?:pic:

baconbuttyman
16th March 2011, 17:32
here they are

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj55/baconbuttyman/IMG00174-20110315-0950.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj55/baconbuttyman/IMG00175-20110315-0950.jpg

CoOkIeMoNsTeR
16th March 2011, 18:26
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Very nice. And discreet too;)

MARKUK
16th March 2011, 19:12
Looking good :D

baconbuttyman
16th March 2011, 20:17
admittedly if it was where it should have been it would have been more discreet

CoOkIeMoNsTeR
16th March 2011, 20:25
Yeah, but it's more convienient centred:D You know it makes sense;)

MARKUK
16th March 2011, 20:45
I agree, it's much better centred in my opinion !

it's where mine is too..