13th March 2011, 06:33
- and a couple more-...

CoOkIeMoNsTeR
13th March 2011, 16:33
Wow:bowdown: Puts my new one to shame;)
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx148/Sylvester1994/Photo005_001.jpg

Poppy
13th March 2011, 16:50
Hiya. Not a caravaner myself.... But that is outstandingly Beautiful..:drool4:.You are a genious....:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bo wdown::bowdown::bowdown: Poppy

CoOkIeMoNsTeR
13th March 2011, 16:51
Hiya. Not a caravaner myself.... But that is outstandingly Beautiful..:drool4:.You are a genious....:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bo wdown::bowdown::bowdown: Poppy
What me or him?:getmecoat:

Poppy
13th March 2011, 16:53
what me or him?:getmecoat:

lol. :d:d:d:d:d

stux99
13th March 2011, 19:58
Magic, you have skill my friend:)

Roverowner
14th March 2011, 07:03
deleted.....

Roverowner
19th March 2011, 11:26
deleted......

sikelsh
19th March 2011, 11:55
They both look amazing wish I had the time money and patience to take on such things.

Simon

Roverowner
19th March 2011, 13:34
Iīve had the vans for quite a few years now. This one was already renovated so didnīt have to do anything with it. Of course made a bit of a hole in my wallet at the time:o

Found the pic from the 1978 brochure. -30 years of SMV- of course itīs 64 now:)

The firm manufactured mechanical things, amongst others, pastry rolling machines. When they started making vans they hired a cabinet maker to put together the first one from drawings the boss had got from the states. As the factory made machinery of different designs, they were good with metal but not with wood. After the first van, 1948, the design was changed slightly and 4 places on the factory floor were made ready so thay they could make 4 more vans. The employees spent time away from the ordinary work to learn how to make a van. The windows on mine at the back and front are different. They were cast at the factory and tried out to see which one might be good for future -mass production-. Here are a couple of sides of the brochure for their pastry rollers - The Bakers best worker - it says on the first pic...

Roverowner
13th April 2011, 07:32
Found this behind some bushes some years ago. Can any-one name it:D

Poppy
13th April 2011, 10:35

It's a hotdog van.....:getmecoat::) Poppy

2Diesels
13th April 2011, 11:52
Peeping Tom:D

Roverowner
13th April 2011, 12:37
It's a hotdog van.....:getmecoat::) Poppy

Could have been but I think this one ended itīs days transporting dirt bikes about:o

Very rare van. A friend in Hull (who has a Vogue) said he started his working life with these, in 1964. Only made for one year I believe (another total flop:p:) Not made by Willerby but by the other big caravan factory in Hull.

Roverowner
13th April 2011, 12:38
Peeping Tom:D

It had been -peeping- for quite a number of years;)

Poppy
13th April 2011, 13:52

Hiya. I have just been on the net looking at classic vans and i have found out what it is................................................ ..

It's a PORTALOO.......:getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat::g etmecoat::getmecoat::) Poppy

havefun
13th April 2011, 15:22
it's a big job

FredSpencer
13th April 2011, 15:44

Henry would be a good name for it. A good use would be for keeping chickens. So there you have it ...... Henry the hen-run. ;)

Roverowner
15th April 2011, 05:04
Well, despite all the informed guesses, no-one has managed to solve the question.

It is a Astral Sunrise from 1964. When I had to vacate the barn, I put out an ad and 2 blokes from Stockholm turned up with a large panel lorry and loaded it up. Guy was going to total renovate it and put it behind his american car from the 60s. I think it was the only one taken to Sweden as it doesnīt sem to have ever been registered and the main agent for Astral in Sweden was in the next town from us.

The van is mentioned with a photo in Andrew Jenkinsons book Caravans The Story of British Trailer Caravans and their Manufacturers. From 1960.

FredSpencer
15th April 2011, 16:21
I prefer the idea of a chicken shed. :getmecoat:

Roverowner
15th April 2011, 16:36
Philistine:ignore: :D

FredSpencer
15th April 2011, 16:47
Philistine:ignore: :D

That's me ...... or maybe just practical. ;)

Roverowner
15th April 2011, 17:02
You just donīt appreciate the finer things in transport:p:

FredSpencer
15th April 2011, 17:08
You just donīt appreciate the finer things in transport:p:

I do ...... I just can't afford them. ;) I've got my car going in for MOT on Monday ...... not looking forward to that at all :(

Roverowner
15th April 2011, 17:45
I do ...... I just can't afford them. ;) I've got my car going in for MOT on Monday ...... not looking forward to that at all :(

MOTīd the tourer yesturday, blank papers. Tester said it was a really nice car:D Yours should go through okay, nothing wrong that you know about is there:shrug:

FredSpencer
15th April 2011, 18:06
MOTīd the tourer yesturday, blank papers. Tester said it was a really nice car:D Yours should go through okay, nothing wrong that you know about is there:shrug:

Hopefully it will be OK. They did say it might need brake pipes doing this year when they did it last year. You just never know. :shrug: I've changed both brake light bulbs in the last few days. That's twice they've gone close together since I've had it. Seems strange as I've not had to change any other bulbs at all. :confused:

Roverowner
3rd May 2011, 17:05
Well, now that Spencer isnīt around;)

In the barn that I once had there was a SAABO. Made between 1963 and 1967, about 100 or so. The name was a play on words like most things. SAAB and BO. Bo in Swedish means 2 things. A boys name, and -live- as in -live in a house- (bo i ett hus) so roughly, the SAAB accommodation.

Rather interesting story behind how SAAB got into caravan production.

In the early 60s SAAB decided to produce a hover craft for the Swedish military. They made a prototype (SAAB 406 I think). Total flop. Military wasnīt interested. So SAAB had got a factory together and the expertise to make fiberglas, and no customer. 2 of the senior engineers in the project had seen the fiberglas caravans that were going around and thought they could make something light enough to be able to be towed by the SAAB 96. They designed the SAABO and everything was geared up to start production. It didnīt catch on though as it was a bit small, like a large suger cube:D. They were just about to break even in 1967 when SAAB got a new chief. He declared that SAAB would make cars and aeroplanes. Nothing else. So that was that. A lot of the vans that didnīt sell were used by SAAB around the SAAB aircraft factory and airfield with diverse equipment in them for the trials of the Viggen etc.

The SAAB fraternity regard them as the largest -accessory- ever made by an automobile manufacturer:D Mine has been sold to some SAAB 93 nuts;)

FredSpencer
3rd May 2011, 17:15
Well, now that Spencer isnīt around;)

You want to watch out, he gets about everywhere. I'll keep an eye out for him and let you know if I see him. :shrug:

Roverowner
3rd May 2011, 17:36
Good, glad youīre giving some intellectual input to the thread;)

FredSpencer
3rd May 2011, 17:41
Good, glad youīre giving some intellectual input to the thread;)

I like to do my bit. ;) BTW my wheel hasn't fallen off since having the suspension arm fitted ..... I guess they knew what they were doing. :)

Roverowner
3rd May 2011, 17:53
Youīve got a good car. Last you a lifetime (even though you moan about the fuel bills:D)

sikelsh
3rd May 2011, 19:33
Great read :)

Is the car in the first photo the one used to make that trailer on Ebay?

Roverowner
3rd May 2011, 20:51
The same model anyway. The SAAB 96 was the saloon and the 95 was the estate version. The family in the photos was the family of one of the said engineers. (guy in cloth cap). His missus in the shots designed all the interior and colour schemes. The interior photos were taken for the press by SAAB and for a teaching aid for the sales personell. They did a short film showing the workings of the van

Roverowner
4th July 2011, 07:03
This is up for sale. I have one of these. They only made about 70 between 62 and 65. Fantastic tourer. This one has been in the same family for the last 20 years. This is an early one with 9 inch wheels. Mine is a later model with 12 inch (but I have 13 inch on it). After the first couple of years the production was sold by the firm Carman to another firm. They changed the name to Carmen. Mine is a Carmen 1965.

http://www.blocket.se/dalarna/Husvagnsagg___helt_i_plast___1962_33733462.htm?ca= 11&w=1&last=1