PDA

View Full Version : locking folding rear seats

jn12
18th March 2011, 21:56
Hi,

My folding rear seats will stay up in place but will not lock/click back in to secure! Have used them for the first time and not noticed this. Any ideas why and could this fail an MOT?

Thanks
John

Banjo
19th March 2011, 12:24
I have a similar issue with mine - one side is locked, and wont release, the other is not locked - red indicators are showing on the release catches - I did put a post on, but nobody answered ...

Tinyflier
19th March 2011, 14:56
lol - so that is (at least) three of us with the same problem!

:shrug:

David

HarryM1BYT
19th March 2011, 16:47
If you seek out Rob over in Driglington, he seems to be the acknowledged expert on this problem....

When I got mine it had one side latched and I could not release it, with the other side released and would not latch. I spent hours reading the descriptions of how to sort it out and hours trying to do it, but got nowhere. Rob (not too far from me) offered to have a go at mine and had it released and back to working it seconds. I took some photos once it was released, but never managed to work out how to post them.

Nor (to be honest) did I fully understand the release 'trick' or how it jams, but either red button at either side of the car, is supposed to release both catches simultaneously. There is a linkage which passes side to side through the seat. The linkage hooks itself onto the button in the wrong position, on the side which fails to fasten, which then prevents the latched side from being released. So the unlatched side is the button causing the problem.

I think he may simply have hooked something onto the bottom edge of the red button and pulled it up above the linkage. I also think he was saying the button sometimes fails to properly hit the linkage when it is pressed - hence it jamming.

Hope that is some help?

chris75
19th March 2011, 16:58
Hi,

My folding rear seats will stay up in place but will not lock/click back in to secure! Have used them for the first time and not noticed this. Any ideas why and could this fail an MOT?

Thanks
John

Mine have been unlocked since the first time I moved them :(
Must have had 5 MOTs since then and no-one has ever commented yet :shrug: . I have the "tapes" release mechanism rather than buttons , but they have defied all attempts to relock them.

HarryM1BYT
19th March 2011, 17:18
Mine have been unlocked since the first time I moved them :(
Must have had 5 MOTs since then and no-one has ever commented yet :shrug: . I have the "tapes" release mechanism rather than buttons , but they have defied all attempts to relock them.

There are some more clues here-

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=65048&highlight=seat+red+button