PDA

View Full Version : Towing a caravan with 75 Estate

stevebrookman
20th March 2011, 12:37
Morning all,

I'm now in the position of being able to buy a 75 estate after eventually selling my Omega estate (good car but very thirsty 17mpg around town 3.0 petrol).
I'm going to buy a diesel - does anyone have any experiance of towing a caravan with a 75 estate?

I'm not sure whether or not to go for the auto or manual-does the auto need any additional cooling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

steve

Dragrad
20th March 2011, 12:49
Thread moved to correct forum. Re-direct left in old.

Leander
20th March 2011, 12:51
Hi stevebrookman, and welcome to the club:}

From what I have read the 75 is a great towing car, especially with its higher than usual nose weight. I also know that a fair few members use it to tow their caravans with no problems.

The club actually has a dedicated Caravanning and Camping forum (just scroll down the list of forums page), and you'll find someone there to help you. Alternatively, do a search, as I know there has been a thread on this already a few months back. On the specific question of auto versus manual I can't help, but I gaurantee someone will be able too - they are a friendly and knowledgable bunch on here.

Cheers
Leander.

stevebrookman
20th March 2011, 12:57
Many thanks!

I've towed with a Range Rover and Omega estate for many years, but have always wanted a 75 estate.

Cheers

Steve

Synchromesh
20th March 2011, 18:55
I have towed a Sprite Musketeer with my 131 diesel saloon. It was effortless and still did over 40mpg.

Roverowner
21st March 2011, 10:56
I tow my small vans with a 2005 Diesel Tourer. Absolutely no problems. If you get a Tourer check that the springs are okay at the bottom, havenīt broken. It happens;)

48rov06
23rd March 2011, 19:28
I have been towing for 3 yrs with my 135 CDTI tourer automatic and love it pulls away no problems . No overheating problems .Relaxing drive tow a 4 berth ACE Award transtar not a light van approx 1400 kg Regards Alan

stevebrookman
26th March 2011, 06:17
Thanks all,

I'm now looking out for a decent CDTi auto estate. I don't care how long it takes-I want the right one! (Have wanted a 75 estate for years so the wait will be worthwhile).

Regards

Steve