PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD stopped working on DD

David Lawrence
26th March 2011, 17:55
Had my DD for over a year now with no problems but came to play a CD today and all I get is "DISK ERR" come up on the screen. It was working fine last week, but swapped the CD today and no joy. Tried all the other CD's again and the same thing. Tried a lens cleaner in there also no joy. Anyone else had this? How easy is it to fix?

baconbuttyman
26th March 2011, 18:03
Had my DD for over a year now with no problems but came to play a CD today and all I get is "DISK ERR" come up on the screen. It was working fine last week, but swapped the CD today and no joy. Tried all the other CD's again and the same thing. Tried a lens cleaner in there also no joy. Anyone else had this? How easy is it to fix?

have you tried a reset, may be a glitch

David Lawrence
26th March 2011, 18:49
have you tried a reset, may be a glitch

just tried it but no joy. can hear the disk spinning but doesnt seem fast enough. Maybe something stuck in the mechanism when I put the last disk in? Dont know how easy it is to access for a look

David Lawrence
27th March 2011, 15:12
just tried it but no joy. can hear the disk spinning but doesnt seem fast enough. Maybe something stuck in the mechanism when I put the last disk in? Dont know how easy it is to access for a look

Took a look inside today. The DVD player seems easy enough to swap out, just a bunch of ribbon cables to swap. May need to canibalise a donor unit though. With it out of the car it sounds as if the CD is dragging on something. Certainly doesnt spin as fast as a PC DVD drive.

Any ideas anyone?

Mr Edd
27th March 2011, 22:11
I have pulled apart CD drives in computers a few times but never one of these DVD players. I found in old ones they had a small clamp that dropped onto the centre of the disc so holding it down after inserting. These were spring loaded and in some cases these springs became a bit slack. A little tweak may sometimes fix it.

Not sure how these units work tho.

Edd

David Lawrence
28th March 2011, 05:48
I have pulled apart CD drives in computers a few times but never one of these DVD players. I found in old ones they had a small clamp that dropped onto the centre of the disc so holding it down after inserting. These were spring loaded and in some cases these springs became a bit slack. A little tweak may sometimes fix it.

Not sure how these units work tho.

Edd

Thanks Ed. Not pulled the drive apart, but did take it out for a look. It makes a funny noise as if something is dragging on it, but it only does that after spinning up, then i get a few ticking noises before it stops again and gives the error message. Will keep my eye open for anyone with a unit broken for some other reason then see if i can get hold of a donor drive.

MARKUK
28th March 2011, 09:07
Might not be a bad idea if Sean was able to arrange spares such as these when units go out of warranty..

Then we could replace ourselves or maybe Sean can offer a repair in Ireland ?..

David Lawrence
30th March 2011, 05:17
Might not be a bad idea if Sean was able to arrange spares such as these when units go out of warranty..

Then we could replace ourselves or maybe Sean can offer a repair in Ireland ?..

Not so surprising that the first thing to go is the mechanical part really. Luckily the Drive is conveniently located for replacement. Just 4 screws on the top, then a couple down each side then it tilts up and out. Then just 3 ribbon cables to unplug and it will be done. Just need a drive now

MARKUK
30th March 2011, 08:16
I keep getting a DISK ERR message after about an hour playing MP3's off DVD...

The unit gets fairly warm I must say...

Not sure if this is the DVD Player itself or the entire unit...

David Lawrence
30th March 2011, 19:31
I keep getting a DISK ERR message after about an hour playing MP3's off DVD...

The unit gets fairly warm I must say...

Not sure if this is the DVD Player itself or the entire unit...

Sounds like we could do with finding a supply of replacement drives. I don't play MP3's off my DVD, but ordinary shop bought DVD's and CD's but it just doesnt seem to spin up to full speed, and sound like something dragging on the disc somewhere.

I've probably only used the drive 3 or 4 times in the 12 months I've had the unit, so it points to it being a weakness somewhere

Mr Edd
30th March 2011, 22:10
Sounds like we could do with finding a supply of replacement drives. I don't play MP3's off my DVD, but ordinary shop bought DVD's and CD's but it just doesnt seem to spin up to full speed, and sound like something dragging on the disc somewhere.

I've probably only used the drive 3 or 4 times in the 12 months I've had the unit, so it points to it being a weakness somewhere

Maybe something has been inserted that shouldn't be there. Possibly by small sticky hands???

Or a label has flown off inside the unit???

Have you had it apart yet?

Edd

David Lawrence
31st March 2011, 06:09
Maybe something has been inserted that shouldn't be there. Possibly by small sticky hands???

Or a label has flown off inside the unit???

Have you had it apart yet?

Edd

There hasnt been anything inserted except proper disks, and none had labels on. I have had the unit out. I removed the drive so that i can spin the disk by hand, and when i do that there is nothing dragging on it and it spins freely, but when powered up I can hear something dragging. Maybe the lens holder? Something popped out of place perhaps. Stripping the drive down will need more time, so maybe this weekend.