PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy washers

SKUDman
18th November 2006, 17:17
Anyone experienced this? Driving along and squirt the squirters but no squirt, just the wipers on dry screen plus rear tailgate wiper starts. Then a bit later after a rest everything squirts ok. Washer level is fine. Is getting me a bit cross. Any explanation anyone?

yp53
18th November 2006, 19:27
If you can hear the washer pump whirring away, with just a dribble from the jets, there is obvioulsy a blockage somewhere.

It may well be that the rubber grommet/filter insert that the washer pump fits in needs a clean. If you remove the self tapper just in front of the drivers side front wheel, plus a few of the screws securing the bottom edge of the bumper to the undertray side piece, you should be able to prize the side of the bumper away far enough to get access to the washer pump. It simply pulls out of the rubber grommet, which can then be removed and cleaned. Last time I had this problem, I was amazed at the amount of snot-like gunk that was attached to it!

Never had the rear wiper come on at the same time though....

Keith
18th November 2006, 22:00
Did mine on my 260 last weekend a bit more involved, bumper off to get at the pump, filter all clogged up

Next time I will syphon out the tank then flush it a few times with very hot water that should do it.

SKUDman
18th November 2006, 23:41
Cheers guys for the thoughts. The mystifying bit is that there is no dribble! All or nothing! It has all the symptoms of an intermittant electrical glitch somewhere, hence the rear wiper performing. The thought of all that major surgery is a bit scary although I've had the bumper off before but you'll understand me checking if there a simpler (ie quicker!) answer. Maybe I just live with it and put it down to part of the MGs enigma. Just lovin it!

Pete