PDA

View Full Version : Getting into my boot to get keys

Dave Goody
18th November 2006, 17:51
Anyone following my previous thread re. locking my keys in the boot will know what this is about.
I am planning to smash one of the rear side widows to climb through and then access my boot to retrieve my keys, I need to know if the plastic buttons I can see on top of the rear seatbacks to the side of the headrests are to tip the seat backs forward to access boot.
I will get the fitter from one of the windscreen companies to smash window as he will make less of a mess than me and I will only have a window missing for minutes. Cost of rear window fitted £97-58.
Anyone who has a 53 reg ZT with full leather out there who can tell me if these buttons do tip seat backs forward to allow access to boot please let me know. Cant send picture as windows all condensated and cant get in to wipe!!
I would hate to smash window to find I still cant get into boot !!!
Thanks Dave, going slightly crazy, not speaking to the wife and ready to get very drunk tonight !!

Mike
18th November 2006, 18:20
Dave,

Yes the plastic buttons on top of the seat back by each door are what you push in to drop the seat back down. Note the seat back doesn't drop flat so if you have a young 'un it will be much easier for them to do it than you ;)

If you hang on a few minutes I'll get you a diagram

Good luck :)

Mike

Mike
18th November 2006, 18:25
Here you go:

http://www.midnightphotos.co.uk/userimages/full/4/6046.jpg

David3807
18th November 2006, 18:26
Posted this on original thread hope it helps

Dave,

Do you think these guys might be able to help ?? They talk about emergency key access.

http://www.mgrccservices.com/index.htm

The info was posted in this thread a few days ago

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=589&highlight=Radio+codes

Mike
18th November 2006, 18:28
Posted this on original thread hope it helps

Dave,

Do you think these guys might be able to help ?? They talk about emergency key access.

http://www.mgrccservices.com/index.htm

The info was posted in this thread a few days ago

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=589&highlight=Radio+codes

No, all they can do is provide the codes for keys other than on the 75 (200/400/25/45/ZR/ZS etc.. It is BMW and Valeo only who hold the codes/keys for our cars (facelift excepted iirc).

Dave Goody
18th November 2006, 18:31
Dave,

Yes the plastic buttons on top of the seat back by each door are what you push in to drop the seat back down. Note the seat back doesn't drop flat so if you have a young 'un it will be much easier for them to do it than you ;)

If you hang on a few minutes I'll get you a diagram

Good luck :)

Mike

Thanks Mike, That will be usefull
I just told my wife that I was going to poke my grandson in the boot, she mentioned something about that getting me on a S** offenders register !!
at least she still has a sense of humour !! Dave

SCOTTY1
18th November 2006, 21:32
Just a thought if you decide to smash the glass. If you cover the glass panel with masking tape before you break it, all the pieces will stick to the tape and enable you to take the glass out in one go and not shower the interiour of the car with fragments.

HTH

Scotty1

JP53
19th November 2006, 08:30
Thanks Mike, That will be usefull
I just told my wife that I was going to poke my grandson in the boot, she mentioned something about that getting me on a S** offenders register !!
at least she still has a sense of humour !! Dave

Children are much better at squeezing up chimneys just remember to tie a bit of rope around them in case they get stuck! If they are unsure tell them they are on a santa rescue mission. My lad's 13 now so he is too big, besides which he can run a lot quicker than when he was 5. :bigsmile:

David3807
19th November 2006, 11:00
No, all they can do is provide the codes for keys other than on the 75 (200/400/25/45/ZR/ZS etc.. It is BMW and Valeo only who hold the codes/keys for our cars (facelift excepted iirc).

I wonder of thats why my first 75 (Club 2.00l X Reg) came with three keys. 2 Normal ignition/remotes and a third emergency one.

patrolman pete
19th November 2006, 17:07
Dave don't break your window!!! It is possible to get it the boot without damage ! The AA can get in no problem I'm a patrol and i've done a couple but i can't say how to do it as it's a security risk! mind you they were saloons so i don't know if the tourers are different .

Dave Goody
20th November 2006, 09:53
Dave don't break your window!!! It is possible to get it the boot without damage ! The AA can get in no problem I'm a patrol and i've done a couple but i can't say how to do it as it's a security risk! mind you they were saloons so i don't know if the tourers are different .

Hi Pete have sent you a PM as this info is a bit dangerous to spread around in public Dave

patrolman pete
20th November 2006, 14:18
Hi Dave , got your pm . All of us patrols have the info that you have tried so if they can't open it there must be a modification to stop this method from being used as most manufacturers get wise to this. Your excess is probably cheaper than callout by a locksmith anyway even if they could get in. good luck mate.

Dave Goody
20th November 2006, 14:53
I am now awaiting Autoglass to arrive with window prior to glass breaking.
its getting dark and raining should be fun! Dave

Ken
20th November 2006, 16:08

Good luck Dave, let us know how you get on

Ken

JP53
20th November 2006, 20:07

Hope all goes well and you can bring this sorry train of events to a happy conclusion. :)

Simon W
20th November 2006, 23:39
Dave - just a thought in case you haven't broken in yet, did you consider asking the police for help?

This might sound silly but I once locked the keys in the ignition of my Ford Granada. While I was standing there (trying to decide how to smash the window) up strolled a PC.

'Look the other way' said he. So I looked the other way and before you could bat an eyelid, he'd got the driver's door open. I have no idea what he used but he had some sort of gizmo concealed about his person. Needless to say I was mighty grateful.

yp53
21st November 2006, 06:04
Dave - just a thought in case you haven't broken in yet, did you consider asking the police for help?

This might sound silly but I once locked the keys in the ignition of my Ford Granada. While I was standing there (trying to decide how to smash the window) up strolled a PC.

'Look the other way' said he. So I looked the other way and before you could bat an eyelid, he'd got the driver's door open. I have no idea what he used but he had some sort of gizmo concealed about his person. Needless to say I was mighty grateful.

Yes its surprising who they'll let in nowadays ;)

Seriously I suspect the cops will have something more important to do, unless you can't remember if your 2-year old might be in there with the keys, in which case they may help you break the window, then arrest you.

Hope it goes as painlessly as poss...

seacat
21st November 2006, 08:58
Sensitive info removed

No damage to the car or broken windows. If I had electric windows in the back, it wouldn't have worked. I now make sure the keys are in my hand or pocket or anywhere else other than the boot before closing the boot.