PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! 1000 identical emails in last hour ??

Jules
24th July 2007, 13:42
Thats right Help!!! 1000 identical emails in last hour ??

VENTE FLASH : REPUBLIQUE DOMINICAINE

Monagence.com [[email protected]]

I have contacted my ISP on line (PLUSNET) and reported it but they are still coming in, but it's via a BIGFOOT email for life that we do not normally get problems with.:banghead:
I'm getting flooded with them (excuse the pun)

Cheers

pondweed
24th July 2007, 13:59
well at least the more you get the less I'm likely to get:D

why dont you just ditch your bigfoot account from outlook for a while?

GreyGhost
24th July 2007, 14:18
That's more like DOS than regular spam. Contact your service provider again and tell them it looks like Denial of Service, far to many for spam I'm sure.
In the mean time set up a rule to automatically delete

JohnDotCom
24th July 2007, 14:23
That's more like DOS than regular spam. Contact your service provider again and tell them it looks like Denial of Service, far to many for spam I'm sure.
In the mean time set up a rule to automatically delete

:iagree: Wot I never see the point in this unless it is to bring a Server Down, and then you would need a concerted effort.
Either block address in Outlook or at your ISP's mail box mark as Junk or whatever to stop the downloads reaching you.

Jules
24th July 2007, 20:56
Thanks chaps I'll try all your suggestions
Just had another 200 from same sender!
Don't suppose I should click on a link to see if there is an"unsubscribe link" ?

As ignoring them certainly does not work!!

I would like to get hold of the sender by the SCRUFF.............:flame:

You know, Spammers could be eradicated over night if ISP's implimmented a tiny charge for each email. Say 10 th of a penny?

Only a small monthly bill to the average users like you & me, but SPAMMERS would get enormous bill to the extent it would not be viable for them anymore.
I for one would happily PAY PER EMAIL.

100 more pieces of S### just come in
Think I'll go off line now to deal with it, however I think it is service providers problem not the end user.

MattP
25th July 2007, 08:55
Don't every click an unsubscribe link in a spam. It just confirms that there is a human at the end of the email and you get even more.

GreyGhost
25th July 2007, 09:05
AOL / Compuserve have just initiated a system whereby email is not accepted by their servers unless it has a valid reverse DNS, as most spam is posted via servers without reverse DNS, 99% of spam has been dealt with in this way, along with some valid mails where the data centre controlling the server refuse to implement this set up. The data centre I use is one of these. Consequently I can no longer use my own smtp server to send mail to AOL /Compuserve users by that route. I have access to other smtp servers so really not a problem for me. It was though for 2 clients that I allowed to use my server for outgoing mail. Had to change those.

What I am getting at is, perhaps all service providers should implement reverse DNS lookup and block any mail that does not have this set up. I'm sure this would help cut the amount of junk in the system.

Jules
25th July 2007, 09:16
I have never clicked an unsubscribe link unless it is a legitimate company.

The annoying thing is with this spammer, it's not any of my business emails that have been hit, it's a Bigfoot address that Mrs Jules only uses for private stuff. So I suspect one of our friends has insufficient protection on their PC and their address book is open to the Ether??

Good point you have GG, but I don't think most ISP's give a damn about spam

mayor
25th July 2007, 10:16
Hi sorry to hear you problems. I notice that you are posting your email address on your webpages. Generally this is not a good idea because sooner or later 'spy bots' will trawl and harvest your address, better to have a link from an icon or hypertext to a script using post form and a cgi script which is generally much more secure. For the moment you can go into xp click on security/internet options/advanced/resticted sites. If there are multiple sites you put them in. However if all else fails you may have to alter your address slightly.

Jules
25th July 2007, 10:31
Yes Thanks for the tip Mayor, but like I mentioned earlier it's not my business stuff that is being targeted, but a very private address only friends have!

And as we speak that Spammer has stopped targeting us now!!
Last one was 06:30 this morning.

So Fingers crossed
Total identical emails was 2000 in 24 hrs !!

mayor
25th July 2007, 10:52
Hi sorry I thought it was your business address. If you are using outlook you can block spam addresses by setting up junk mail rules