PDA

View Full Version : I've lost interest in ovp... Am I alone?

Departed 32016
12th April 2011, 23:58
Approaching a couple of years ago I was really interested in ovp and the progress but as time has gone on and more and more s regs appear I get a little bit less interested. I am alone?

Zeb
13th April 2011, 00:16
Approaching a couple of years ago I was really interested in ovp and the progress but as time has gone on and more and more s regs appear I get a little bit less interested. I am alone?

Nope...but then those responsible for OVP are hardly champing at the bit to do owt with her are they?:}

Departed 32016
13th April 2011, 00:19
I still like seeing the old photos etc... but just a less interested than before

stevemac
13th April 2011, 05:31
Like all projects, whether it is a housebuild, carbuild or just an Airfix model there is periods of intense activity and then periods of no activity at all. As I understand it, this is a long term project and largely voluntary. I am sure it will get there in the end and be on show for members to enjoy. The other S reg's that turn up will eventually be crushed, but OVP will, hopefully, remain. If you are interested then just be patient, and if not interested, then don't worry about it. It's not all like Wheeler Dealers where on TV they appear to turn it around in just a few days, when in reality, it probably takes months and months (not to mention an awful lot more money than they admit to)

mikelancs
13th April 2011, 16:23
I'd be interested in learning more but then I'd like to know more about what other interesting parties used the 75/ZT/ZTT too, Police, Government cars, Ambulance etc is there a section for this? I believe the Royals where using a few at one point, not sure if that was more towards the protection team or themselves?.

Ta
Mike

Martin75
13th April 2011, 19:41
1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment
3. Panic
4. Search for the Guilty
5. Punishment of the Innocent
6. Praise and Enthusiasm for the Uninvolved ...

Keith
11th May 2011, 18:16
1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment
3. Panic
4. Search for the Guilty

Brilliant, at work at the moment we are somewhere between 5 and 6
Typifies most IT projects I reckon.

tonybubble
11th May 2011, 20:04
I'd be interested in learning more but then I'd like to know more about what other interesting parties used the 75/ZT/ZTT too, Police, Government cars, Ambulance etc is there a section for this? I believe the Royals where using a few at one point, not sure if that was more towards the protection team or themselves?.

Ta
Mike
Prince Edward had a LWB 75 from 2003-05. I owned it for a while. :}

wullie480
11th May 2011, 22:14

Ta
Mike

Theres an Ex Ambulance (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ex-ambulance-car-/260782352853?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cb7d6e9d5#ht_500wt_922) ZTT for sale at the moment.

Anthony & Maricel
11th May 2011, 22:31
I have had mine 12 years and they are unique cars well worth preserving, and i have no intention of seeing mine in the crusher :D

carlpenn
12th May 2011, 08:24
I am still interested :D

This car, unlike most "S" Reg's on the Market has a little history to it too, when I read its story, it was kind of like the Car was symbolic in Rovers demise. What I mean is, it was simply left out to be forgotten. It spent its life at the Rover factory and at the end, like so many of Rovers employees, was simply cast aside.

As lame as I probably sound, but restoring it back to its original spec, is kind of like a mark of respect for Rover the name, Car and its Employees.

Thats how I see it, thats why I work hard at keeping my 75 as pristine as possible. Well, that and the fact I love the car anyway ;)

Parker
12th May 2011, 13:51
I'm having a service at Lates late June and should hopefully get some pics taken and posted soon after.

Rover Raver
12th May 2011, 17:07

This car, unlike most "S" Reg's on the Market has a little history to it too, when I read its story, it was kind of like the Car was symbolic in Rovers demise. What I mean is, it was simply left out to be forgotten. It spent its life at the Rover factory and at the end, like so many of Rovers employees, was simply cast aside.

As lame as I probably sound, but restoring it back to its original spec, is kind of like a mark of respect for Rover the name, Car and its Employees.

Thats how I see it, thats why I work hard at keeping my 75 as pristine as possible. Well, that and the fact I love the car anyway ;)

I genuinely like your sentiments towards 'OVP' and also in respect of your own Rover 75, not to mention the Rover name and former employees.

12th May 2011, 22:34
Oh Dear, better hurry up with 05 then!!:D1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment
3. Panic
4. Search for the Guilty

Dragrad
13th May 2011, 00:36

Dear 'old' OVP was Pete's project......which, unfortunately, he cannot give it the time that it deserves. We all have problems from time to time...:(

Christopher, when time allows, as he has been out of the country on many occasions recently, is now taking this project on board......

Definitely a car worth saving and will be :D

Lates
16th May 2011, 22:20
OVP was moved at the weekend ( and not the scrap yard in the sky against my better judgement ) just for hell of it. turning a wheel for a change was a novelty to behold.

Pics can be seen via the facebook link in my sig.

Jake
16th May 2011, 22:45
OVP was moved at the weekend ( and not the scrap yard in the sky against my better judgement ) just for hell of it. turning a wheel for a change was a novelty to behold.

Pics can be seen via the facebook link in my sig.

Thanks for the update Lates, in your eyes, what is it that's holding up getting the car back on the road?

Lates
16th May 2011, 23:03
Thanks for the update Lates, in your eyes, what is it that's holding up getting the car back on the road?

A new battery and wiper blades were delivered 2 months ago ish to enable us to start it and move it about easier although no work has been done since that time.

We await instruction / worksheet to do some more bits as and when...

Tim_Burgess
17th May 2011, 12:06
A new battery and wiper blades were delivered 2 months ago ish to enable us to start it and move it about easier although no work has been done since that time.

We await instruction / worksheet to do some more bits as and when...

As one (of many) who was at Longbridge for the photoshoot when OVP was aquired. I think it would be a tradgedy if the project just withered on the vine.

The reality is that the car will never be worth the cost of the parts and labour spent on it, but that's true of most car restorations and surely not the point of doing it. Ok, I know it's not the earliest any more and it's poverty spec. but the provenance of the car and the sheer fact that it's survived at all must count for something.

Departed 32016
2nd May 2012, 18:52
A year on now....

Ian G
2nd May 2012, 19:17
A year on now....

A couple of bits added at each national meet should soon have it finished Kieran
Cheers Ian

MrDoodles
21st June 2012, 09:09
Sorry, but without wanting to offend anyone involved with this Project, I really must be missing the point about this car! :shrug:

I appreciate, that it was a pre-production car and had a somewhat "interesting" life, but what is supposed to be the point of the restoration? :shrug:

I'm assuming that when the car is back to it's former glory, that it will be displayed at shows to represent the Club (as and when the owner has the time to do that) :shrug:

Why then pick a poverty spec car to show at events? :shrug:

Surely if it is being restored to be a "Show" car, then you would at least pick the highest spec Connoisseur SE you could find, with EVERY factory option available, to show off Rover's hay-day of what you could have bought, if you ticked all the option boxes (a 2.5 Auto would have been my choice) and not a hum-drum spec car that you can get to view at any provincial car auction? :shrug:

Or am I missing the point, because for me, this car when completed, wouldn't get a second glance from me at a car show! :(

windrush
21st June 2012, 09:20
Sorry, but without wanting to offend anyone involved with this Project, I really must be missing the point about this car! :shrug:

I appreciate, that it was a pre-production car and had a somewhat "interesting" life, but what is supposed to be the point of the restoration? :shrug:

I'm assuming that when the car is back to it's former glory, that it will be displayed at shows to represent the Club (as and when the owner has the time to do that) :shrug:

Surely if it is being restored to be a "Show" car, then you would at least pick the highest spec Connoisseur SE you could find, with EVERY factory option available, to show off Rover's hay-day of what you could have bought, if you ticked all the option boxes (a 2.5 Auto would have been my choice) and not a hum-drum spec car that you can get to view at any provincial car auction? :shrug:

Or am I missing the point, because for me, this car when completed, wouldn't get a second glance from me at a car show! :(

I am afraid I must agree with you the intentions were right to stat with
to save this historical vehicle from the scrapman but it has now gone on far too long with out any light at the end of the tunnel

Canonite
21st June 2012, 09:27
I am afraid I must agree with you the intentions were right to stat with
to save this historical vehicle from the scrapman but it has now gone on far too long with out any light at the end of the tunnel

To be honest, I think Christopher bought OVP for himself. Not that there's anything wrong with that, doesn't make it 'the club project' though in my eyes.
Seems he's been busy with it recently so I take back what I said. Nice to actually see some work going into it.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1034141&postcount=156

Banjo
21st June 2012, 09:54
I felt that it should be restored to its 'Battenburg' spec, as a basic 75 it is not really very interesting or good to look at. As a longbridge 'Police' car it has some history and relevance.

Departed 32016
21st June 2012, 10:01
The issue is at the time it was thought to be the oldest surviving rover 75
However it has now come to light there are many s reg cars around and indeed even earlier ones.

BIG LEK
21st June 2012, 10:12

I totally agree with you,but if I was to be honest ive never really gave the car a second thought, I can understand how people feel that have been following its progress or lack of:shrug:,since this car was mentioned I think some members on here have owned cars them selves just as interesting, such as the royal car mentioned already,and lewis's inspector morse car:shrug:

Gate Keeper
21st June 2012, 10:19
I am out of the UK most of the time at the moment and whilst I am away LJW continues to be repaired and restored. Since buying it from Rabett Rover this has so far cost me 4K in bills. I have nearly finished doing it up. I do not have the resources or knowledge which Christopher has but have learned alot from the forum. Some of the other members have spent much more than I have. OVP has a certain uniqueness given it's history. I view it as an ongoing project and even if it takes years to fully restore it is symbolic of the phoenix rising from the ashes in my eyes. I for one am not fed up of it.

Reebs
21st June 2012, 11:24
We do have many exceptional cars for display at meets and the Classic Motor Show in Birmingham for example. They are more often than not Connoisseur SEs and ZT SEs, so it is also quite refreshing and representative of the mark to display cars built at the other end of the spectrum.

OVP was rescued from Longbridge by Pete, not Christopher. Christopher has his own vehicles already, and does not need another for getting around in.

As has been mentioned, this car is one of the earliest examples and has a unique history that many members admire and wish to see shared for others.

The car is on the mend, slowly and will be presented at meets and shows when completed - alongside higher spec members vehicles to help illustrate the range of trims available. There shouldn't be much wrong in doing that I'd hope you'd agree :shrug:

Greeners
21st June 2012, 13:51
The one thing about OVP is you are very unlikely to see another car with such a low spec in such good condition, even down to the fact it's got steel wheels and wheel trims rather then alloys

Granted there are plenty of well spec'd launch cars that would equally good at shows but this OVP appears to have spent its entire life at the factory and was litterally saved from the crusher at the 11th hour

Put OVP with tony bubbles 08 development car and you really do have the history of the 75 in one go

James.uk
21st June 2012, 14:22

.................................................. ...............................................

I also agree 100% with those sentiments. Personally I wouldn't want the car. :shrug:

As for displaying it at shows, if you can only "show" half doz cars, then why display a less than bog standard one.. It's a bit like sending a mongrel found in a dogs home to Crufts, just coz it had a tough time... :shrug:

There are hundreds of better cars belonging to members to display at shows innit.. :}

Reebs
21st June 2012, 14:29
The rich tapestry of differing viewpoints, it's a sight to be hold (unlike OVP many might say) :getmecoat:

Yella Fella
21st June 2012, 14:42
The OVP thing has never really caught my attention so maybe Ive missed the information, but is there a time scale for completion or a target date or is the progress down to funds, time etc?

Reebs
21st June 2012, 15:02
Well it has been an 'as and when' situation thus far based upon Christophers availability (yes I know :getmecoat:) we are hoping to have it available for show in November at the Classic Motor Show, but if it's not presentable enough by then, it won't be displayed.

21st June 2012, 18:35
Which November? Not 2012 Surely

Robson Rover Repair
21st June 2012, 20:22
Prehaps each region could club together and buy their own "region" car?

Ive got a project car coming in November/December (and what a project lol) which im going to use to represent the group in NI and bring to the mainland in 2013.

:D

cardaft
1st January 2013, 15:48
This is a very interesting car. I've just been looking at pictures of Longbridge after it closed and did a bit of searching into that. While doing so I came across this Rover 75. A really interesting histyr behind it. Its excellent that this club has saved it from its most definite demise back in 2009.

I have followed the restoration threads here but can not find any pictures of the finished thing. I see its still taxed as have checked on the DVLA. Where is it now? Are there any final pictures?

It would have been nice to have seen it at the NEC in November. Even if it has not had the bodywork made good yet. Mind, I did spend quite a while around the stand and the cars that were there are very nice indeed. Thank you to the gent who let me have a sit in the diesel Tourer.

Its also nice to see the red T reg 75 which is dressed like an MG ZT is still taxed. T907 ABD. Where is that now?

Parker
1st January 2013, 16:04
The car is currently with the club owner Christopher and still has quite a way to go to reach a perfect transformation from its current state.

James.uk
1st January 2013, 16:26
A "club owned or reg owned car" would be a nightmare to sort. Who pays for it? where to keep it? Who gets to drive it? Who maintains it? blah blah.. Not a very realistic idea really.. Nice thought though. :)

Personally, I think we should only display "Top of the range" cars at club car shows, not the poverty spec ones.. they wont impress anyone innit..

Lost Soul
1st January 2013, 16:34
And the lack of updates etc etc is poor. Maybe it is time to strip it and scrap it as it seems all interest in the car has been lost. Harsh, yes, but that's the way I see it.

James.uk
1st January 2013, 16:38
Hmmm. I rather doubt Christopher would approve of you stripping his car down for parts... Interesting idea though.. lmho :D :D

Lost Soul
1st January 2013, 16:44
Either strip it or let it rot away some where. It must be worth all of £150

Unclefista
1st January 2013, 16:58
Like anything else, it's worth whatever the owner feels its worth.
Christopher obviously values it, uses it and prefers it to much newer cars worth a lot more.

I don't know why you'd rather it was scrapped than used and loved.

I go to a few car shows in the course of a year and the cars that really interest me aren't the GTs or GLX etc. it's the forgotten base models. The L or the popular models, the ones I used to see parked on the street.
I can see a day when our car numbers have dwindled, where the only models you'll see will be Connie's, and to me that would be a shame.

Lost Soul
1st January 2013, 17:05
If the owner took an interest he would let members know of it status on a regular basis.

It is a bag of nails and far better examples exist from early production.

Gate Keeper
1st January 2013, 17:12
I can't see it being scrapped or stripped given the amount of work that has been put into this car over the years by various experts. I gather from reading reports about it that it has been seen on the road. A good point has been made that it is an example of an early base level car. If it does make to a National Event/motor show why not show it off as what it is - to compare it to the high spec models which MGR had on offer to the buying public at the time. I might be on own my own with these views but that's life. Why the pressure now for a decision? I am happy to wait as OVP evolves. Anyway it is the owner who has the final say and not the club.

cardaft
1st January 2013, 18:50
Why would anyone suggest scrapping/stripping it?

It would seem the car is still in use, its just been taxed for a year! It would appear the owner/user is not very active on here, which is a real shame.

I quite like basic spec cars and so this one really appeals. I also always like very early cars or very late cars, it just makes them that bit more interesting to me.

Its the history of this one which I like and I would really like to own it. If it needs a new home, let me know!

Canonite
1st January 2013, 19:08
I used to have mixed views about OVP. I see it not as a 'Club' car, merely one purchased under the guise of the Owners Club as a restoration project. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all. Many of the members buy cars to save them from the scrapyard. The car was in a very sorry state and wasn't even good enough for scrap, but it's colourful life gave it a glimmer of hope and certainly it has to be the biggest celebrity Rover 75 still around.
It has had an awful lot of time put into putting a lot of things right and also getting her roadworthy again. These projects take time and cost money.

tonybubble
1st January 2013, 19:36
For clarification, is OVP owned by the Owners' Club or Christopher?

SD1too
1st January 2013, 22:08
I go to a few car shows in the course of a year and the cars that really interest me aren't the GTs or GLX etc. it's the forgotten base models. The L or the popular models, the ones I used to see parked on the street.
:iagree: :wot:

Simon.

calibrax
2nd January 2013, 11:12
For clarification, is OVP owned by the Owners' Club or Christopher?

Not sure there's any real distinction between the two...!

92 squadron
2nd January 2013, 11:26
A "club owned or reg owned car" would be a nightmare to sort. Who pays for it? where to keep it? Who gets to drive it? Who maintains it? blah blah.. Not a very realistic idea really.. Nice thought though. :)

Where do you think your subs are going. Should be gold plated by the time we see it finished. he-he

MrDoodles
2nd January 2013, 12:34
Blimey! :eek:

Step away from the Thread now! :poke: :sissy: :no: :laughing2:

stocktake
2nd January 2013, 13:50
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff289/stocktake/3dpopcorn.gif

Johnny the Fox
2nd January 2013, 14:30
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/johnnythefox1967/Bombsign.jpg

KEEP CLEAR

Ian G
2nd January 2013, 16:01
Same old tune time after time the only difference is who is banging the drum !!!
Cheers Ian

bmcman
2nd January 2013, 22:14
Every clubs got a clown that just loves to moan if you are really unlucky you can get more than one. clubs are run by a few for a lot . been there done it got the t shirt but never again. Believe me this is one of the best clubs i have been in. end of my moan !!

andyg2011
2nd January 2013, 22:49
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff289/stocktake/3dpopcorn.gif

That's cool dave hehehe

James.uk
3rd January 2013, 01:03
The car belongs to Christopher, as does this club.

Canonite
3rd January 2013, 11:53
Every clubs got a clown that just loves to moan if you are really unlucky you can get more than one. clubs are run by a few for a lot . been there done it got the t shirt but never again. Believe me this is one of the best clubs i have been in. end of my moan !!

Stop moaning. :D

Gate Keeper
7th January 2013, 18:44
I was doing a search on the forum this evening looking for my vin number and discovered that Reebs had recorded it in the history of the early S reg cars. I was gob smacked to see that LJW was built one day before OVP and how interesting it is that both cars continue to need a great deal of input one way or another. If I did ever decide to let LJW go, it would have to have been for a very good reason such as being written off in an RTA or a major MOT failure, or major rust. We won't go there for now and neither should OVP :}

Anthony & Maricel
7th January 2013, 20:28
I was doing a search on the forum this evening looking for my vin number and discovered that Reebs had recorded it in the history of the early S reg cars. I was gob smacked to see that LJW was built one day before OVP and how interesting it is that both cars continue to need a great deal of input one way or another. If I did ever decide to let LJW go, it would have to have been for a very good reason such as being written off in an RTA or a major MOT failure, or major rust. We won't go there for now and neither should OVP :}

Nicely put philip :}

championdaddy
8th January 2013, 19:50
If anybody really really wants me to drive it.......Ok......but its under great reluctance that i accept the priveledge !! LOL

Ched
15th January 2013, 00:21
I saw this car on the A34, just north of winchester this evening, looked to be minus its grille, made it look like an uncared for dog.:shrug:

GazYorkshire
15th January 2013, 21:36
I saw this car on the A34, just north of winchester this evening, looked to be minus its grille, made it look like an uncared for dog.:shrug:
So the restoration is going well then?:getmecoat:

cardaft
20th January 2013, 12:38
I'd buy and restore it :cool: If it needs a home!

Its a shame to hear that it is not getting the full treatment it deserves. Did it still have the blue front bumper?

It would be nice to get an update on this car, good or bad, from the owner. Im not surprised people have lost interest!

If this is a car bought and got going with club money, surely we deserve at least to have an update. If not, then I dont see why the hype about the club buying it, if its owned and bought by a private member.

Delirious
20th January 2013, 12:45
id also like to get involved with this car and get it up to scratch, i have lots of free time and im sure could be usefull

Anthony & Maricel
20th January 2013, 13:19
I'd buy and restore it :cool: If it needs a home!

Its a shame to hear that it is not getting the full treatment it deserves. Did it still have the blue front bumper?

It would be nice to get an update on this car, good or bad, from the owner. Im not surprised people have lost interest!

If this is a car bought and got going with club money, surely we deserve at least to have an update. If not, then I dont see why the hype about the club buying it, if its owned and bought by a private member.

That would be one option, but only if he was willing to sell it.

Anthony & Maricel
20th January 2013, 13:35
id also like to get involved with this car and get it up to scratch, i have lots of free time and im sure could be usefull

I feel the same, it is very frustrating to hear about the club car still looking in an uncared for situation.

As an S Reg owner myself it takes dedication time and money to keep these cars on the road and in good condition. The best compliment I have had was at the 13th national, when a fellow member said to me that it was difficult to tell mine apart from any other R75 there.

COLVERT
14th February 2013, 18:48
The car belongs to Christopher, as does this club.

What are you saying James ?? That they both have the same care lavished on them. :shrug:

Colvert. :confused::confused::confused:

Thomas
14th February 2013, 18:51
OVP is wip at the moment , we are trying to get a decent cost to have the vehicle repainted and is currently used daily so is not sitting idle rotting away.

James.uk
14th February 2013, 18:56
>>>What are you saying James ?? That they both have the same care lavished on them. :shrug: Colvert. :confused::confused::confused:<<<

Pftttt! Colvey! :p: :p: :p: I was merely passing on information.. :D:D

92 squadron
15th February 2013, 21:32
Well who has the car at the moment. As we are lead to believe it belongs to Christopher so who was driving it in Winchester and where was it going to?:shrug:

Reebs
15th February 2013, 21:50
Christopher has it Mike, and uses it currently. He's been down to Southampton a couple times in the last few weeks, so that would account for it being sighted in the Winchester area.

92 squadron
15th February 2013, 22:30
Christopher has it Mike, and uses it currently. He's been down to Southampton a couple times in the last few weeks, so that would account for it being sighted in the Winchester area.

Mystery solved:)

Tim_Burgess
15th February 2013, 22:59
Maybe it's just me; but I wonder if we're in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater where OVP is concerned.

One of my pet hates is Over-restoration on a vehicle to the point where its history is lost. OVP has little or no merit as a launch or pre-production car because (A) we now know that earlier examples exist and (B) she's a poverty spec in both the trim and engine departments.

However, her real value is in the life she has led as part of MGR's very chequered history. Apart from her occasional TV appearnces she has been used (and abused) round the Longbridge complex all her life and bears the scars to prove it. Surely, she would be better being "preserved" rather than restored as an example of the unique contribution she's made to Longbridge and certainly, to me at least, a darn sight more interesting for it.

As my Dad used to say "too much paint and powder spoils a pretty girl". Why not just get OVP roadworthy and show her "warts and all". That's patina and history that money just can't buy.

Bolin
15th February 2013, 23:06
Poverty spec = geek points!

The 'included history' or 'back to original' debate is always an interesting one - I remeber fairly lengthy involved discussions about this in relation to historic building restoration whilst I was at university. It's all purely academic, as by putting the car (or building) back to 'original' you would then be adding to its history anyway, and showing the mindset of the individuals/club of the time.

Christopher
16th February 2013, 01:19
Well who has the car at the moment. As we are lead to believe it belongs to Christopher so who was driving it in Winchester and where was it going to?:shrug:

Mystery solved:)

I'm sorry guys but this is just getting creepy! Am I to present a log as to my whereabouts, when and why?? By all means ask after OVP but I don't believe I have to justify being here or there!! :eek:

The car (or "unloved dog") is working fine, most of the electrical issues are sorted and am currently looking at quotes for a respray - but its not going to be cheap. I have bits of replacement trim to put on, but will not do so until after the respray. The car is being used and for once is stretching its legs around the country - I thought this is what its all about??

Gate Keeper
16th February 2013, 06:01
Sometimes when I am looking for the forum on the Internet this club comes up with a sub title describing how the club gives an account of the restoration of what is possibly the earliest example of a Rover 75.

I think that it is the attention that has been drawn to it by the forum which makes members want to report it's whereabouts when it has been spotted. No one is wanting to pry into your private driving habits but I can understand how you would feel given the comments made by certain fellow members. Well, that's my take on it.

Of course if it was to go on an official tour of the UK or to some of the meets then an itinerary would be the way to go :) so that members could drive to see it, even if it was not up to scratch.

As Anthony has already said these old cars require a great deal of care, money, patience and time. I agree.

I am glad to see Christopher that you and the guys who had helped with parts and engineering, have managed to get the old gal back on the road. Perhaps you can tell us how she drives? Thanks for letting us know what further work is needed.

Clearly the restoration continues.

Last year I spent thousands on my S reg when others would have scrapped or broken it up and this year some more will be spent on it. She looks quite ordinary unlike the later higher spec cars. Such is the preserve of owning an early S reg.

Anthony & Maricel
16th February 2013, 07:31
Sometimes when I am looking for the forum on the Internet this club comes up with a sub title describing how the club gives an account of the restoration of what is possibly the earliest example of a Rover 75.

I think that it is the attention that has been drawn to it by the forum which makes members want to report it's whereabouts when it has been spotted. No one is wanting to pry into your private driving habits but I can understand how you would feel given the comments made by certain fellow members. Well, that's my take on it.

Of course if it was to go on an official tour of the UK or to some of the meets then an itinerary would be the way to go :) so that members could drive to see it, even if it was not up to scratch.

As Anthony has already said these old cars require a great deal of care, money, patience and time. I agree.

I am glad to see Christopher that you and the guys who had helped with parts and engineering, have managed to get the old gal back on the road. Perhaps you can tell us how she drives? Thanks for letting us know what further work is needed.

Clearly the restoration continues.

Last year I spent thousands on my S reg when others would have scrapped or broken it up and this year some more will be spent on it. She looks quite ordinary unlike the later higher spec cars. Such is the preserve of owning an early S reg.

I agree with what you said there Philip, I spent nearly 2k myself on keeping my S Reg on the road last year after 3 separate unrelated things went wrong with it. And yes Christopher driving these cars is what it is all about, so if the car is spotted by a fellow member that is a good thing. :}

That is something you will have to get use to, since you own such a super star of a car. ;)

COLVERT
3rd March 2013, 19:31
What's OVP please ??

Owners Vehicle Project . :shrug::shrug::shrug: Part of the Owners Club, :confused:

Reebs
3rd March 2013, 20:51
What's OVP please ??

Owners Vehicle Project . :shrug::shrug::shrug: Part of the Owners Club, :confused:

You've been a member here for four years, and have already posted about the car on at least two seperate occassions...and you need to ask??? Now I'm confused John :shrug:

:smilie_re: 12th June 2012 (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1034480#post1034480)

:smilie_re: 14th February 2013 (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1222296#post1222296)

Woof25
4th March 2013, 08:45
I suspect taking on the restoration of an early model was thought to be a 'good idea' at the time, but members have many other pressures on their funds and christopher is no different Im sure. He and others have brought the car to a state where it is roadworthy and should all be praised for that.

We have to be realistic though & not grumble when the progress doesnt match our expectations of how far on it should be, its privately owned after all and not the property of the club, I,m sure we shall see it at a pride of longbridge meet in the not so distant future and congratulate
christopher and his team on a good well done

Mike

Christopher
4th March 2013, 15:13
Had to call out the AA the other day. Stopped as normal and wouldn't start - thought it was a dead immobiliser - after poking about under the bonnet with teh AA guy, on touching the low-voltage connection to the starter the car started on its own! Just a dirty connection, and it was away - amazing for such an old "unloved dog"! My well looked after R70 FVE has had over £900+ of repairs lately - and now the IPK has started with a bad display :(

OVP is quiet this week as I am currently in Greece doing work stuff.

Best

COLVERT
4th March 2013, 19:55
You've been a member here for four years, and have already posted about the car on at least two seperate occassions...and you need to ask??? Now I'm confused John :shrug:

:smilie_re: 12th June 2012 (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1034480#post1034480)

:smilie_re: 14th February 2013 (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1222296#post1222296)

It's all to do with my age which you will find out yourself when you get to 75. :confused::confused::confused:

That symbol sums it up quite nicely. :confused::confused::confused:

Mind you ,I keep trying to forget my wife------------but she wont let me. :shrug:

Colv. ;););):D

Tim_Burgess
7th March 2013, 21:58
Had to call out the AA the other day. Stopped as normal and wouldn't start - thought it was a dead immobiliser - after poking about under the bonnet with teh AA guy, on touching the low-voltage connection to the starter the car started on its own! Just a dirty connection, and it was away - amazing for such an old "unloved dog"! My well looked after R70 FVE has had over £900+ of repairs lately - and now the IPK has started with a bad display :(

Best

Quite a common problem on K Series. Had it on 3 occasions with various models - usually R8s.

Roverowner
8th March 2013, 05:36

Best

Wondering when you were going to send over my MGR flags? My 3 year old has been asking. Of course will pay the postage.

Gate Keeper
29th March 2013, 13:41
Nice to see you are still with us Alan despite everything :bowdown: :)

Gate Keeper
4th June 2013, 02:31
Christopher, what is the latest...how is the old gal doing?

Lates
4th June 2013, 06:25
The last time ovp was seen on local roads it was still wearing its blue front bumper so guessing the body overhaul isnt complete.

Gate Keeper
4th June 2013, 11:25
Lates thanks for the update.

Lost Soul
4th June 2013, 11:46
I thought the last sighting on the road was a good while back.

GAVIN
4th June 2013, 22:14
The last MOT it came in for it passed...first time..!!
The old girls still got it...:}

Lates
29th August 2013, 22:39
Well it would do wouldnt it, parked at our shop for two years it had to be mechanically perfect.:bowdown: