PDA

View Full Version : What towing mirrors ?

craigkipper
14th April 2011, 22:00
Hi.I have recently bought a 75 tourer.Can anybody tell me what make of towing mirrors are the most suitable please ? Also it has a detachable towbar fitted with about 55 mm clearence from bumper.My caravan is a 2001 Bailey pageant with a alko AKS 2004/3004 stabiliser.Does anyone know if 55 mm is enough clearence.I dont know the make of the towbar,it just says 1953A MVG. Many thanks.

RovingDennis
14th April 2011, 23:18
Rimmers usually have the proper mirrors in stock for the Rover. They are great, been using them myself for years.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/78774c0110eb34241.jpg

Roverowner
15th April 2011, 04:42
Hi.I have recently bought a 75 tourer.Can anybody tell me what make of towing mirrors are the most suitable please ? Also it has a detachable towbar fitted with about 55 mm clearence from bumper.My caravan is a 2001 Bailey pageant with a alko AKS 2004/3004 stabiliser.Does anyone know if 55 mm is enough clearence.I dont know the make of the towbar,it just says 1953A MVG. Many thanks.

The Rover 75 mirrors come up occasionally on ebay aswell and are sold here on the site from time to time.

Tow bars and couplings are pretty standard these days so if the tow bar has been put on properly and it´s not damaged then it should be okay. 55 mm seems alright to me. Google -detachable two bar- and you´ll get all the makes. Alko hitches are standard. I have a detachable Brinks on my tourer and I suppose there is about the same clearence. Hitch the van and see if it works;)

craigkipper
17th April 2011, 20:45
Thanks very much for your help !

para999
18th April 2011, 07:49
Thanks very much for your help !

If you can't find the correct 75 mirrors, I use a pair of universal ones with two rubber straps going over the car mirror. They work ok.

DerekS
18th April 2011, 12:17
As we said before , in a previous post that asked exactly the same question ..
I used the cheapo ones from Towsure, 2 rubber strap type, about £4 each if I remember correctly ( many years ago ).

My advice for wherever you get extension mirrors from is to mark them for left/right mounting so you dont have to adjust them every time you fit them , and also to make them very visible by some means ... paint red/apply coloured sticky tape etc. It may not fit in with the cars colour scheme, but it may prevent them being accidentally knocked.

Happy caravanning . :)

gefary
18th April 2011, 14:43
The person who stole my Abbey Domino caravan also uses the two rubber strap ones from Towsure.
But he didn't need to buy them.
They came with the van.

DerekS
18th April 2011, 23:35
I fastened mine to the car not the van .

But to lose a possession like that is no joke .:(

Roverowner
19th April 2011, 08:44
The person who stole my Abbey Domino caravan also uses the two rubber strap ones from Towsure.
But he didn't need to buy them.
They came with the van.

Wimborne has always been a dodgy area:D Only joking, I would be really annoyed if that happened to me. You´d think that a thing like a van would stick out a mile. No luck with the cops then:shrug:. I usually leave the mirrors in the van aswell. There are some right scumbags about:mad:

gefary
19th April 2011, 11:30
Police were very helpful.
He looked at the place it used to be at and agreed that it wasn't there anymore.
Looking through the insurance documents small print I am not overly confident I will get much back, if anything.

Still let's hope next time it goes camping it doesn't stay at a site near you.

Roverowner
19th April 2011, 12:27
Over here all vehicles are registered. So the caravan has the same sort of identity as a car. Makes it very hard for the scumbags to move stolen caravans on as they can´t get the V5 for it. About only advantage in having it that way. Road tax and MOT every other year:o

gefary
19th April 2011, 12:45
All the windows are etched with a number.
The van was registered with CRIS.
But unless the thief wants to register his new aquisition with a view to insuring it there is no chance of finding it.
Not knowing much about the nicking industry, I have a feeling the thief wont be insuring it.
Probably keep it the garden for his kids to live in when they get out.
Is that out of prison or university.

GaryC
19th April 2011, 17:57
Have you any photo's of your 'van?
Mebbe one of us may spot it on our travels, you never know..
Are there any distinguishing marks on it? Stickers etc..
G

GaryC
19th April 2011, 17:59
You may get the towing mirrors from x-part £30 for the pair. As for the Alko stabiliser, it should fit onto a swan neck..