PDA

View Full Version : Side Light on the inside

mantianak
18th November 2006, 23:15
The other day while I was driving I noticed a Rover 25, the older twin head light model. The inside pair of head lights (on 75 is high beam) seemed to have a side light looking glow. Not to sure if this was just light spill from the main light.
Would this be a HID set or is it possible to have the inside lights as a side light rather than the outside (on a 75)?
Purely for vanity reasons, would it would be nice to have both light lit while driving non-country?

Mike
19th November 2006, 00:24
It is daytime running lights - another optional setting available via Testbook

hth

Mike

mantianak
19th November 2006, 08:35
hmm.. testbook? I'm guessing this is something unique to certain garages?

Mike
19th November 2006, 08:48
Testbook is the MGR dealer diagnostic and settings kit. X Part and most ex dealers have it - and charge for it!

hth

Mike :)

Alex30013k
19th November 2006, 09:00
Rite

Both the Rover 45 and 25 mk1 had the side light on the inside clusters and dipped beam on the out clusters!

So when the dipped beam and side lights were switches on all four light clusters were lit up.

But the 75 had both the side light and dipped beam on the out side clusters,
So only the out side clusters were lit up unless you had the main beam on,

But then if you get the mk1 projector lights for the 75 then the side lights were moved to the inside cluster - so all four clusters were lit up when side and dipped beam were on.

:D

Alex30013k
19th November 2006, 09:09
75 side and dipped beam lights...

http://cars.avto.ru/foto_cars/rover/75_4864a3621bdc4645ab4cad61459bb8a3_1_big.jpg

Rover 25/streetwise with all four clusters lit up

http://www.fnweb.de/images/redaktion/auto/auto1030/streetwise.jpg

This what you mean?

Spôôk
19th November 2006, 09:23
But then if you get the mk1 projector lights for the 75 then the side lights were moved to the inside cluster - so all four clusters were lit up when side and dipped beam were on.

:D
Or as on the facelift version:
http://vifa-as.dk/XenonR75.jpg
Spôôk

mantianak
19th November 2006, 10:59
75 side and dipped beam lights...

http://cars.avto.ru/foto_cars/rover/75_4864a3621bdc4645ab4cad61459bb8a3_1_big.jpg

Rover 25/streetwise with all four clusters lit up

http://www.fnweb.de/images/redaktion/auto/auto1030/streetwise.jpg

This what you mean?

Yep, that’s exactly what I meant. I had a quick peep at my lights this morning. It doesn't seem to have an extra socket for more bulbs.
So with the testbook way it will power the main beam but not as bright? Or the other option is to replace the light units with projector lights?

I'm not sure what projector lights are, something like HID?
There's always the option of putting some LED's in there too.

While I thinking about it, is there a way (possibly testbook) to have the front fog lights turn on and off with the main beam?

Alex30013k
19th November 2006, 11:18
Rite

Think Mike got his wires crossed and did not understand what you were asking about (his getting old)

Any way there is no way of making the inner clusters light up,

The only way would be to buy the projector lights

http://gallery.mg-rover.org/data/510/4843New_Front.jpg

These are the projector lights - same as the Xenon lights for the 75. Some Mk1's and All Mk2 75's have these.

All four light clusters light up.

I retro fitted them to my mk1 75 before fitting the V8 bumper.

They are around £120 each new or maybe lucky to get a set for £150 from Rover Breakers.

Alex30013k
19th November 2006, 11:20
While I thinking about it, is there a way (possibly testbook) to have the front fog lights turn on and off with the main beam?

I would like this too, As like a Merc, but no i don’t think there is!

But you could not some dodgy wiring to make this happen.

But then this will mess up your bulb warning...

Alex30013k
19th November 2006, 11:26
But thinking about it,

A long long time ago i did have a try at moving the side light from out side cluster to inside cluster, i did this fine, but it make the lights look a bit of a mess,

Because the chrome plating on the inside of the lights cracks, And it left a hole from where the old mounting for the side light was.

But i did rush it a bit.

Buy an old set of lights and have a play.

mantianak
19th November 2006, 11:41
Sounds like a fun little project.

I know nothing about this kind of wiring. There must be a way so when full beam is turned on, it will also trip the fog light switch. They're not click in and out buttons so i think it can be done somehow.

baxlin
19th November 2006, 12:16
Isn't it only legal to run front fogs, which are low mounted, in fog, falling snow, or other reduced visibilty, as, indeed, their name suggests?

IMHO they're awful when used in other circumstances, causing much dazzle, and don't help the driver much, either.

Alex30013k
19th November 2006, 13:05
Isn't it only legal to run front fogs, which are low mounted, in fog, falling snow, or other reduced visibilty, as, indeed, their name suggests?

IMHO they're awful when used in other circumstances, causing much dazzle, and don't help the driver much, either.

But the fogs wont be swicthed on unless you have main beam on, and the only time you have main beam on is when there are no other cars about....

And when you flash some one to let them go you get the flash of the fogs that looks good!

mantianak
19th November 2006, 13:21
I'm not sure what is legal and not. Did you say there's a Merc with this light setup? If there is then I guess it is legal.

Simon
19th November 2006, 16:01

Forward fog lights aren't illegal to have them lit in any weather condition. But you may be cautioned for having your rear fogs on when it isn't foggy/poor visibility.

Fog lights seem to be a bit like marmite. You either think they look cool swithed on, or you don't.:rolleyes:

For me, I think it looks all a bit chavy. Its way cooler to have projectors or xenons now :D I like my projectors.... :lol:

baxlin
19th November 2006, 17:49
It is illegal to use fogs, front or rear, in other than bad visibility, see Highway Code, rules 201 and 211. 211 reproduced here, from the Highway code website. I have copied and pasted it, so the capital letters of "MUST" and "MUST NOT" are their's, not mine.

"211: You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27"

BTW I'm not usually a barrack room lawyer, but I do feel fairly strongly about this.

Rant over

Malcolm

GreyGhost
19th November 2006, 17:55
Thanks for that post Malcom.

I have a distinct hatred of those that use front fogs in all conditions (mostly bright sunlight).
For those that forget to switch off rears when the fog has dissipated. How much attention are they paying to what is going on around them? :(

Alex30013k
19th November 2006, 18:02
Well you cant 4 get to turn off the ones on a 75! Beause a huge Picture of a light comes up in red!

You cant miss it! lol

GreyGhost
19th November 2006, 18:04
Well you cant 4 get to turn off the ones on a 75! Beause a huge Picture of a light comes up in red!

You cant miss it! lol

That happens on all cars Alex it's a mandatory safety feature. That's what I mean about paying attention. Scary eh. :frightened:

mantianak
19th November 2006, 20:47
I'm not keen on seeing cars driving around town with them on. It would still be nice to have easier control when driving about in the countryside. I don't often use them, even though they do improve visibility, purely because they're not in the greatest place to turn off quickly. Especially when a car pops around an oncoming corner. This is why I'd like it controlled by main beam (or at least turn off), increase my visibility and sole saftey with an easy to turn off meathod.

Keith
20th November 2006, 09:49
I use my extra driving lamps (aka frog lights) regularly, every bit of extra light helps out here in the sticks

I always turn them off as soon as I end up behind someone

Only thing is I find the switch for both front and rears very user unfriendly to reach and operate by feel alone.
I had not noticed my Xenons had side lights inboard must rush out and check that later :)

Simon
20th November 2006, 21:13
IOnly thing is I find the switch for both front and rears very user unfriendly to reach and operate by feel alone.

Yeah - me too. It's a bit unnerving having to look down to see what your pressing when you're out driving in country lanes and you want that bit extra light. Even more so when it's actually a bit misty or fog-patches. Not the easiest lights to turn on/off. Mind you, my Astra had similarly awkward switches for it's fogs too...

I had not noticed my Xenons had side lights inboard must rush out and check that later :)

Never noticed on my projectors until I read this thread. I even stood in front of the car in the car park after work to check...

I dunno! The things we do for our cars! :rolleyes::driving::bigsmile:

r44712
19th December 2006, 08:14

I'm not sure why you'd ever want this, for one it is illegal and secondly the only time that foglights are beneficial to use (i.e. seriously reduced visibility) is when the headlights become ineffective (as the beams just reflect off the fog to create a 'wall').

It took a bit of getting used to, but both fogs can be operated by feel alone.

Keith
19th December 2006, 09:13
No Testbook can't be used to enable the footlights to come on with the High beam it would at times be useful especially if you use them as "driving lamps" as I do, living out here in the sticks they get used a lot the trick is to turn them off at the appropriate time

Possibly in certain country configurations it might be supported? e,g if it is allowd in Germany I could tell your car via my Testbook it was in Germany but I don't know what else might alter as well :)

You can enable day time running lights like on Volvos with Testbook and I have that set on at the moment on my CDT as otherwise Swmbo has a habit of forgetting to turn them on in this sort of weather.

Rushy Racer
19th December 2006, 16:05

IMHO they're awful when used in other circumstances, causing much dazzle, and don't help the driver much, either. Unless you are under the age of 25, or live in Essex or have any item of Burberry headgear or drive with yor forearm resting across the top of the steering wheel:mad: