PDA

View Full Version : Folder Options

Tatts
26th July 2007, 09:10
Is there an easy way to set folder options so the contents are shown as 'Details' instead of Icons by default?

I'm using Win XP home.

I can manually change the view for each folder, but it's a pain when I have so many folders for music & stuff!

Thanks!

JohnDotCom
26th July 2007, 09:17
That is a well known Pain Tatts.
It should also remember what you have set it at so when you return will go to as you viewed before but,
In XP Pro I have edited the registry to open as I want,
I will check to see if there is a straightforward way,
not being rude, as editing the Registry if not used to and without backing up can cause a lot of problems in its self.
Are you experienced and happy about going into the Registry to edit?
There may be an add on program that will do this, so hang fire and also see if anyone else suggests easier method.

Simon
26th July 2007, 11:07
If I recall, the normal route for changing folder options is in the drop-down menu on the windows explorer BUT I also seem to recall XP only 'remembers' so many (about 100 is it?) last-viewed folder settings. For me thisis certainly not good enough as some folder view options return to pre-defined settings or end up going all funny if I haven't viewed them in a while.

John - Is your registry eddit route a permanent folder change (so it will not change again)? I would like a couple of different folder options. Specifically Thumbnails for my photos but then Tiles for everything else.

Tatts
26th July 2007, 15:34
If this involves physically messing with the registry, then I shall leave it well alone!

Something I've never delved into, too easy to make a mess of it!

nairda
27th July 2007, 10:26
What I tend to do is open Windows Explorer, (right-click the Start button, select Explore from the menu), and then select Folder Options from the Tools menu. Click the View tab and scroll down the Advanced settings. There is a checkbox for 'Remember each folder's view settings'. Make sure that is checked. Click OK.

To select the view options 'on-the-fly', there is an icon on the tool bar within Windows Explorer that looks like a small window with coloured squares in it. Next to it is a small black down arrow, (triangle). If you click that, it will present a menu listing the view options, one of which is 'Details'. Select that and the right window pane will now display details rather than icons/tiles/thumbnails or list.

And, because you made the change to the advanced settings under Folder Options, Windows should remember the setting for each window.

You can choose to apply this view to all folders by the Tools|Folder Options|View route and hit the Apply to All Folders button.

HTH.

Keith
1st August 2007, 15:32
Easy (well it is in XP PRO)
make sure detail is chosen
Then
Tools > Folder Option > view Tab

Click the apply to all folders button at the very top.
Also choose any other options via the ticky boxes as I hate windows hiding stuff and like to see the full path etc
then click OK

OK......................

telemalc
4th August 2007, 21:52
Thanks, this has been irritating me since i changed to XP, now cured

Tatts
5th August 2007, 22:30
Nice one Keith!

Muchly appreciated!