PDA

View Full Version : Muting DD.

VVC-Geeza
20th April 2011, 15:30
Does the DD have a mute wire/terminal for use with external devices?

I have factory fit Smartnav which i wish to retain and this was wired to mute the OEM audio when giving an instruction.Can the same be done with the DD?

thanks.

Mr Edd
20th April 2011, 15:54
Yes it does interrupt, the problem most seem to have is it shuts the radio (or whatever) down for too long. I have now turned the sound off for the sat nav as it gets so annoying with how much you miss of the entertainment when it does.

Edd

VVC-Geeza
20th April 2011, 16:54
Hi Edd

i know it mutes the audio for the sat nav built into the DD but what i want to know is if it also has a mute wire/facility for an external source.In my case for when Smartnav gives an instruction.This was possible on the OEM audio :)

I'm guessing that the mute on the DD is a self contained part of the circuit board?

MisterTomez
20th April 2011, 17:57
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a labelled "mute" wire on the loom of the DD when I was wiring it up.

VVC-Geeza
20th April 2011, 20:47
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a labelled "mute" wire on the loom of the DD when I was wiring it up.

Hopefully so :)

I wonder if anyone has one waiting to be fitted and could check?

HarryM1BYT
20th April 2011, 21:11
Hopefully so :)

I wonder if anyone has one waiting to be fitted and could check?

The DD user manual has a list of all of the connections (can't lay hands on mine at the moment), there is also a photo of the back panel on the forum, which shows the back panel sticker listing the connections.

VVC-Geeza
20th April 2011, 21:25
The DD user manual has a list of all of the connections (can't lay hands on mine at the moment), there is also a photo of the back panel on the forum, which shows the back panel sticker listing the connections.

I had a look at the manual earlier Harry and there is no mention of a mute wire.However i was speaking to Nick from Austin Garages at the weekend who said he would be very suprised if it didn't have a separate mute facility,hence the further enquiry.

HarryM1BYT
20th April 2011, 22:59
If you are not using a camera, could you use the reverse connection which enables the rear view - dos that mute the audio when camera is selected? 12v fed onto that input when you want it to mute might do it for you.

VVC-Geeza
21st April 2011, 09:10
It's an idea but i plan to add the camera eventually.

Looks like it's a no go regarding the DD having a mute wire,i don't suppose they saw the need for one :shrug:

Mr Edd
21st April 2011, 20:33
Which model is it? I have one of last years that came out just before the current model. I took many photos of the cables... Click Me (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66117&highlight=steering+buttons) But if yours is the later model I believe the cables are different.

Edd

VVC-Geeza
21st April 2011, 20:48
Thanks for that Edd,no sign of a mute wire in your pics unfortunately.

I have one of the latest ones, about a month old.

MARKUK
21st April 2011, 23:01
As far as I am aware, there is no way to do what you are wanting to do Mick.

Unless it was an after Market thing that fitted between the Head Unit and the speakers via a passthrough connection which muted the sound after it left the Head Unit.

VVC-Geeza
21st April 2011, 23:10
I'm sure it's possible Mark,things usually are.

I dare say if you wanted to go to the trouble of connecting to the mute on the board it could be done that way.Probably something aftermarket available as well, as you say.It's not a major issue but would be nice if it were possible :)

VVC-Geeza
24th April 2011, 11:08
Yes it does interrupt, the problem most seem to have is it shuts the radio (or whatever) down for too long. I have now turned the sound off for the sat nav as it gets so annoying with how much you miss of the entertainment when it does.

Edd

Edd

how do i configure the DD to mute the audio completely rather than just reduce it when the units own built in sat nav (iGO) gives an instruction?

thanks

HarryM1BYT
24th April 2011, 14:51
Edd

how do i configure the DD to mute the audio completely rather than just reduce it when the units own built in sat nav (iGO) gives an instruction?

thanks

Mine seems to turn some chanels off whilst the satnav speaks, but it sounds quite odd. The bluetooth for the phone mutes all, but the call audio.

If I'm using the satnav and it gets to a tricky bit, I find the easy thing to do, is to use the mode switch to cycle round to a silent input - like a DVD which doesn't auto start.

VVC-Geeza
24th April 2011, 22:14
Mine seems to turn some chanels off whilst the satnav speaks, but it sounds quite odd. The bluetooth for the phone mutes all, but the call audio.

If I'm using the satnav and it gets to a tricky bit, I find the easy thing to do, is to use the mode switch to cycle round to a silent input - like a DVD which doesn't auto start.

Thanks Harry,i can hear the instructions clearly but have been used to the Smartnav muting the audio completely.Good idea on switching mode.