PDA

View Full Version : Caravan Roof

GaryC
20th April 2011, 15:51
I have a caravan of which has a fibreglass roof. Over the years it has gone dull.
I tried using MER which was only partly successful and back breaking to do. Is there another good quality polish out there which is easy to apply?
G

Roverowner
21st April 2011, 05:44
The first thing to establish is if the surface is gelcoat or has it been spray painted. If it is gelcoat then there are good polishes for it. Ask at a decent paint shop. If it has been sprayed then a good car polish should do. Probably need cutting first though

GaryC
5th May 2011, 17:52
The first thing to establish is if the surface is gelcoat or has it been spray painted. If it is gelcoat then there are good polishes for it. Ask at a decent paint shop. If it has been sprayed then a good car polish should do. Probably need cutting first though
How do i know the difference between the two?

trikey
5th May 2011, 20:40
I used Meguires scratch X on my fibreglass, brought it up like new (99% is gelcoat, try scratching a small inconspicous area, if you don't get any paint peel, then it is gelcoat)

You would be better to use a buffer with G3 or similar (available from paint suppliers) to make your life easier!!

GaryC
6th May 2011, 15:53
I used Meguires scratch X on my fibreglass, brought it up like new (99% is gelcoat, try scratching a small inconspicous area, if you don't get any paint peel, then it is gelcoat)

You would be better to use a buffer with G3 or similar (available from paint suppliers) to make your life easier!!
G3? Is that a polish?
I'm a little ignorant on such things!
G

trikey
6th May 2011, 19:33
G3? Is that a polish?
I'm a little ignorant on such things!
G

Yes mate, a finishing polish, usually used to refinish after a respray, speak to your nearest paint shop supplier, they will keep you right.