PDA

View Full Version : Having ECU Problems

crofts
19th November 2006, 00:56
I am by no means an expert in this field & dread the day I may have an ECU problem. The expense,complexity & having to put myself in the hands of an 'expert', frighten me.
So i was interested in an ad in Dec.Car Mechanics. Claim to recover lost coding, recode,code removal and recode SECOND HAND ECU's (with no expensive trips to dealer) etc. Specifically mention ROVER. Say £99.99 for Renault ECU's as example. All ECU's remapped by postal service.
Also remove crash data from air bag controllers & recode... from £49.99.
Could be a useful contact for advice and quotes (vs new at +-£1000 !)
Name: TOTAL TUNING (Pontypridd) Tel: 07722 288844
Email: [email protected]

Kandyman
19th November 2006, 01:03
Nice find there crofts.

What is a ECU

An ECU is a computer that runs the engine in all moderd day vehicles, Introduced in the early 1980s with the advent of electronic fuel injection systems, these early systems where very primitive they just monitored the revolution of the engine, air flow in to the engine and engine temperature. The ECU then used this information gathered from these sensors to inject the right amount of fuel at the right time. The advantages of fuel injection over a carburettured engine was the degree of control that a computer had over fuel delivery, 1000s of times more accurate than that of a carburetor.

In the present day an ECU is a very powerful control system capable of gathering hundreds of channels of information to control every aspect of the engine, even its own efficiency.
The worse place in the world that you could put a sophisticated piece of electronics is under the bonnet of a car due to massive vibration, constant heat variations and intense radio interference from the ignition system added to the fact that the manufacturers must produce on a huge scale, this causes so many problems and design flaws with modern day ECUs.

crofts
20th November 2006, 00:38
Nice find there crofts.

What is a ECU

An ECU is a computer that runs the engine in all moderd day vehicles, Introduced in the early 1980s with the advent of electronic fuel injection systems, these early systems where very primitive they just monitored the revolution of the engine, air flow in to the engine and engine temperature. The ECU then used this information gathered from these sensors to inject the right amount of fuel at the right time. The advantages of fuel injection over a carburettured engine was the degree of control that a computer had over fuel delivery, 1000s of times more accurate than that of a carburetor.

In the present day an ECU is a very powerful control system capable of gathering hundreds of channels of information to control every aspect of the engine, even its own efficiency.
The worse place in the world that you could put a sophisticated piece of electronics is under the bonnet of a car due to massive vibration, constant heat variations and intense radio interference from the ignition system added to the fact that the manufacturers must produce on a huge scale, this causes so many problems and design flaws with modern day ECUs.

And relative to this is, of course, the problem in our cars with the ECU being sited just where Kandyman says it shouldn't :- IN THE PLENUM CHAMBER where it can get flooded, causing untold problems :eek:

Kandyman
20th November 2006, 00:47
I could never work out why they placed it there where there is a danger of water :confused: , one way round this is to get a V8 as i belive the ECU is in the boot.

crofts
20th November 2006, 00:58
Further to the above, later in Car Mechanics in 'HELP' section (Page 70) is mention of another (maybe) very useful contact for ECU test/repair replacement service for most ECU's quoting price of £30 + VAT which includes next day drlivery service:-
Allcar Electronics, 35 Willows Avenue, Alfreton, Derbyshire, DE55 7ES
Tel:- 01773 836485
This could be a very economical solution to a serious problem. Worth a try !

Keith
20th November 2006, 11:05
Nope not in the boot it is up behind the glovebox with the BCU
V8 Plenum is full up with plumbing for the aircon etc

pic
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9343
(http://forums.xpowerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9343)

Kandyman
20th November 2006, 14:00
Cheers Keith, at least is's inside the car keeping nice and dry :)

crofts
21st November 2006, 20:00
Cheers Keith, at least is's inside the car keeping nice and dry :)

Oh heck. Everyone's going to be after a V8 now. Bought yours just in time Keith before the price rockets !:clap:

Roverron
22nd November 2006, 11:05
Nope not in the boot it is up behind the glovebox with the BCU
V8 Plenum is full up with plumbing for the aircon etc

pic
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9343
(http://forums.xpowerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9343)

Don't you fancy having a supercharger fitted?
Ony 400bhp.
Dreadnoght have done a few and had them on Star's dyno. They all make 400/410 bhp.
Nice!!

Ron

frontline
2nd March 2014, 15:06
I have a 2004 rover 75 diesel.
Got my ecu repaired but my mechanic says injectors 2&3 are not being triggered. Is this likely to a ecu problem?

Lovel
2nd March 2014, 18:14
I have a 2004 rover 75 diesel.
Got my ecu repaired but my mechanic says injectors 2&3 are not being triggered. Is this likely to a ecu problem?

Wow rave from the grave thread, however to answer your question.

What was "repaired" on your ECU? had it been submerged in water ? If it is the case case then replacement is probably required, however have you looked closely at the harness from the ECU to the injectors. check for continuity, insulation etc.

You can get a replacement ECU from a number of T4 users on here if you post yours to them the data can be transfered to another recon ECU. and sent back to you plug and play, no need for T4.